Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello together

I´m a little afraid to ask you guys … afraid of your answers… but I will take the risk now: My Bobber is running fine.The only thing what worries me is the sound at idle. I tried to record it but it never sound as original. So I searched in the Internet and found several (!) videos (not to claim the engine sound).
A perfect example is a video of a new bike still at a dealer. This video got countless comments how great the sound is. And my engine sound exactely the same.
I do not mean the exhaust/pipe Sound... I talking about the engine Sound itself.
It sounds like a ...how to say… like a locomotive...like a cycling shuffle, grinding noise..not metal on metal...more like if you rubbing your both hands together in the rhythm of the zylinders.
If you try to hide the exhaust sound in the attached file you will clearly hear the engine making that Sound... as a totally new bike....

As I said I found a lot of videos where owners have identical engine sounds...but I am not sure if it is normal or not. My dealer said ist normal.. but I expect he would say that..

So my question to you is, if you have the same noise at idle and below 30km/h (above it is not recognizable any more). Is it normal ? / Is it something unusual ? / What is it and can it be fixed if needed ?

As mentioned find below a perfect sound-example (an unboxing-video from a dealer) linked at that time in the video (at 5:54 min) they had the engine running .. and from that video-point on you can clearly hear it.

..really hoping you can report same at your bike... so that I can sleep better…
many thanks in advance and good healthy to your all.

Best regards
Heiko

·
Registered
712 Posts
Sounds normal to me.

Install an X-Pipe and some BC Sleeper Pros and your auditory delight will make your fears melt away.

-GPz

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
The sound you're referring to is normal. I am shocked that you might think that a German dealer would lie to you.

Chico

·
Registered
562 Posts
Sounds like the normal sounds of the internal parts working to me. Vance and hinse with x pipe is a good choice. Best idle tone I've ever heard

·
Premium Member
349 Posts
Yep , it sounds fine to me and perfectly normal , I've a Trident exhaust on mine with TEC x-pipe and I can barely hear myself think let alone the engine noise! ?

·
Read Only
153 Posts
I have Vance & Hines silencers but the engine sound is identical at tickover. When I first got mine whenever I pulled up and put it into neutral I always thought it sounded like a helicopter! I have always just put it down to the noise of the engine internals whirring away such as clutch, gearbox and running gear. I'm sure it is always there but you cannot hear it above the louder exhaust noise when you start to move. Or perhaps when under load there is no slack in the transmission and the noise may disappear. We will never know that one.

All part of the charm of the bike. Just think, the manufacturers of 'V' configuration four cylinder engines have tried to create character by playing around with firing sequences, you already have it in buckets full!

·
Registered
543 Posts
I have Vance & Hines silencers but the engine sound is identical at tickover. When I first got mine whenever I pulled up and put it into neutral I always thought it sounded like a helicopter! I have always just put it down to the noise of the engine internals whirring away such as clutch, gearbox and running gear. I'm sure it is always there but you cannot hear it above the louder exhaust noise when you start to move. Or perhaps when under load there is no slack in the transmission and the noise may disappear. We will never know that one.

All part of the charm of the bike. Just think, the manufacturers of 'V' configuration four cylinder engines have tried to create character by playing around with firing sequences, you already have it in buckets full!
One of my least favorite things about the newer water cooled engines is the sound of the motor (as opposed to exhaust note). To me they sound like sewing machines. As others note, aftermarket slip ons help cover that sound. I like my BC sleeper pros in that regard.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Whenever I think it sounds a little rough I start my klx250 up to remind me what clanking metal really sounds like.

Next time I'm up the garage I'll start mine and listen abs and report back. Maybe get some audio

·
Read Only
153 Posts
Whenever I think it sounds a little rough I start my klx250 up to remind me what clanking metal really sounds like.

Next time I'm up the garage I'll start mine and listen abs and report back. Maybe get some audio

Whenever I want reassurance I start up the 1957 Thunderbird! If I go for a run it also makes me appreciate the Bobber's brakes as well.

Talking of engine noise no-one has mentioned a dry clutch Ducati, especially one where the owner has cut away parts of the outer cover to enable the clutch to be viewed. That's a noise that would bother me!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Hey Namensvetter,
mach dir keine Sorgen. Ich glaube, dass muss so :)
Bei meiner (und bei der gleichen von meinem Kumpel) klingt das genau so, wie du es beschreibst.

Grüße aus dem Neckartal!

·
Read Only
153 Posts
Not wishing to start a mass falling out and I can accept that I may be in a minority here but I do find it quite rude and bad manners to post in a foreign language on a forum. If you want to speak your own language then you can either use a forum based in your language or send a personal message but why post a message on an open forum when you know the majority of members cannot read it?

Interestingly the original post was in English because the member wanted help from the English speaking community here.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
many thanks everyone... I really can sleep better now. Those exhaust mods and X-pipes ideas are great but in Germany partially difficult to realise cause on some funny roles... And to compare the sound with a helicopter is really better matching then my locomotive. Thank you all for your quick and nice replies.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I went out and started my bike. The sound is there but muted a bit. I can only deduce that it's normal internal parts scraping about. Pistons, gears and such. Carry on.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Whenever I want reassurance I start up the 1957 Thunderbird! If I go for a run it also makes me appreciate the Bobber's brakes as well.

Talking of engine noise no-one has mentioned a dry clutch Ducati, especially one where the owner has cut away parts of the outer cover to enable the clutch to be viewed. That's a noise that would bother me!
If I go to Tenerife will you go to Elevenerife? ?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Many thanks to you all for sharing your experiences and your reassuring words, aswell for the video and for starting a bike to answer.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts