Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to use the bike jack I use for my big cruisers.
I was careful to see that I jacked up on the steel frame and didn't push on the rear brake box (abs box?) or anything else.
It sure was nerve racking lifting this new bike for the first time but it worked out fine.

floor jack is 17 inch across OD on black pads by 14 inch long pads. barely had clearance for the jack and then only after standing the bike up.

ChainLube
Lifting the rear made for easy cleaning and chain lube (I decided on DuPont Teflon ChainSaver spray).

some 'know-it-all' customer at the dealer said something about "these are low maintenance chains and only need wax to prevent outside corrosions".... never heard of such a thing...

Anything special about the Bobber chain?

Note: my expertise in these mechanical matters, despite decades of riding bikes, is only average.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,352 Posts
I decided to use the bike jack I use for my big cruisers.
I was careful to see that I jacked up on the steel frame and didn't push on the rear brake box (abs box?) or anything else.
It sure was nerve racking lifting this new bike for the first time but it worked out fine.

floor jack is 17 inch across OD on black pads by 14 inch long pads. barely had clearance for the jack and then only after standing the bike up.

ChainLube
Lifting the rear made for easy cleaning and chain lube (I decided on DuPont Teflon ChainSaver spray).

some 'know-it-all' customer at the dealer said something about "these are low maintenance chains and only need wax to prevent outside corrosions".... never heard of such a thing...

Anything special about the Bobber chain?

Note: my expertise in these mechanical matters, despite decades of riding bikes, is only average.
Thanks for the info.
The only special thing about our chain is that it has the honor of being ON a Bobber :grin2:
Needs to be cleaned, adjusted and lubed just like any other chain.
Lubrication is recommended every 300km or so.
Good luck to the know it all & his wax theory!

·
Registered
286 Posts
Gotta love the know-it-alls that tell you anything and everything without any factual references or sources of info on it. The chain shouldn't be anything different and should be treated as such.

·
Registered
180 Posts
They are probably referring to the fact that these are "O" ring sealed chains. These types of chains are low maintenance compared to non "o" ring chains in so much as the chain links are internally sealed with "O" rings on the pivot rods. The lube is for the external parts of the chain down to the "O" ring.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks DOCGSS.

Lots of info on the web about the latest chain technology.
This X ring design purports to be an improvement on the O ring design.
I'll ask the tech what type the Bobber has when I get my 1st service this week.

Coming from belt drive bikes, 300km is more regular maintenance than I'm used to.

Attachments

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This budget rear swingarm stand from Harbor Freight ($30) seems plenty sturdy. And the wheels adequately strong. (I haven't tired it yet.)

I'm not sure what they call those small capped knobs on the frame but aside from using if for another intended purpose (it has a through hole) they work for jacking the rear wheel up for service.

I'll mod the coated swinging brackets to accept the 13/16" dia. knobs by cutting a radius on the ends.
where i have already cut away the black rubber padding. This will cradle and more securely hold these knobs for lifting.

Attachments

·
Registered
167 Posts
Thanks DOCGSS.

Lots of info on the web about the latest chain technology.
This X ring design purports to be an improvement on the O ring design.
I'll ask the tech what type the Bobber has when I get my 1st service this week.

Coming from belt drive bikes, 300km is more regular maintenance than I'm used to.
Interested in knowing this as well, keep us posted on what they say.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I hear you. I have not had a chain drive bike until now since my "74 Norton Commando. My current bikes, 2014 HD Road King CVO, Triumph Thunderbird, and even my Vespa are all belt drive, much better maintenence schedule.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm not sure what they call those small capped knobs on the frame but aside from using if for another intended purpose (it has a through hole) they work for jacking the rear wheel up for service.
I believe that is where the swing arm bobbins are supposed to be installed.

Part number A9640082

Attachments

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for that Roundblack.

you product image wouldn't come up in my browser so I add another one.

Makes me realize the Harbor Freight swingarm lift I got probably wasn't the best choice.. though they sold a smaller all aluminum one ($40) with better fitting for the "bobbins".

Attachments

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The swingarm bobbins appear to be 6mm. (i measured but didn't insert a 6mm bolt)
eBay has 6061 aluminum bobbins in many colors for $7 shipped (to U.S.)
if you don't mind waiting a month of sundays for them to arrive from China.

thanks to Roundblack for the lead.

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts