Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed a new LE headlight replacement. It's not a brand name, but is a quality product. The plugs connect in the bucket perfectly. All went well with the installation, but before adding the ring screw, I turned on the key and the LED light came on just fine. However - a) the hi/low beam seemed to not have any effect on working. b), about 20 seconds of the LED light being on, I blew a fuse. Now the headlight does not work, and the bike won't start.

Thoughts on what happened? I haven't located the fuse yet due to lack of time today. But, why would it blow?

·
Registered
504 Posts
Probably because the headlight is not as quality as you believe it to be.

If it all plugged in correctly, it has to be an internal fault in the light.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
what is the wattage of the replacement?

Hi Bobby,
High beam 45Watt 4000lumen, low beam 30Watt 2800lumen.

I don't know what the tolerance for the Triumph is, but this seems standard for most bikes in my experience so you may be on to something. That, and/or the internal fault comment.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you haven't located a blown fuse how do you know you blew one?

I heard the fuse blow. It was a very light "tink" as the light went out. I blew the 15 amp. My next move is to contact the company and ask if 15 amp is sufficient. If so, then it's likely a light issue.

·
Super Moderator
766 Posts
I heard the fuse blow. It was a very light "tink" as the light went out. I blew the 15 amp. My next move is to contact the company and ask if 15 amp is sufficient. If so, then it's likely a light issue.
Simple calculation... W =Amps x Volts... or Amps=W/Volts, so Amps for 45 W is 45/12 =3.75A... A 15A fuse us way enough for that, unless it takes some other load as well? If you heard the "tink", more likely something went in the headlamp...:surprise::surprise:

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm just getting around to closing out the final resolution on the thread, though it was quickly resolved a while ago. After doing some troubleshooting, it was an internal fault with the light. The company quickly shipped a replacement. It plugged right in, worked perfectly (hi/low) out of the box. There is a really good spread of white light, better than the Triumphs Halogen. Overall, I'm pleased with the product's performance. No issues at all since install.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,568 Posts
I'm just getting around to closing out the final resolution on the thread, though it was quickly resolved a while ago. After doing some troubleshooting, it was an internal fault with the light. The company quickly shipped a replacement. It plugged right in, worked perfectly (hi/low) out of the box. There is a really good spread of white light, better than the Triumphs Halogen. Overall, I'm pleased with the product's performance. No issues at all since install.
Glad to hear it all worked out! Unique looking light too. I don't think I've seen it on any other Bobbers.

·
Registered
136 Posts

what headlight did you use and where did you get it (link if possible) if you don't mind sharing:wink2:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts