Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just came across this regarding the status of HD’s new Streetfighter and Adventure bikes. Certainly a departure from the old tried and true they’ve been serving up for decades. Supposedly, there’s more in the works. They clearly need some success in the marketplace, having lost about one-third of unit sales since the highs of 2008. Don’t know how good the specs are but, they look pretty decent and IMO, something they should have done years ago. I’m no longer an HD fanboy but, I wish them success. They are still a big factor in the moto market and what’s good for HD is also good for the industry. Interested to see market response and other entries they have planned. The LiveWire looks great but, it’s at a ridiculous price point and the range is pretty limited. I’m sure they don’t expect to sell many. Hopefully, the new entries will have specs and prices that are competitive in these new segments (new, for HD anyway), or buyers may be few and far between. HD has a lot of lessons it needed to learn about new markets and new customers as they’ve been sitting on their laurels for years now, playing to their core base, basically doing the same thing year in and year out. It will be interesting whether they have learned anything in these tough years.

https://apple.news/AuvwU1QKrR5-HMdz9GbodjA

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Great mods. Softail Slim was one of my favorite styles before I left the HD fold (had a Low Rider at one point). Liked the low, beefy stance of the Softail Slim but, never had a chance to ride one. By the time I was in the market again for a new ride, 700 lb. cruisers weren’t my thing anymore. When Indian introduced the Scout, I bit and never looked back. Even better was when Triumph introduced the Bobber, my impulsive, love at first sight purchase.

·
Registered
168 Posts
GPz ..,I liked that bike so much I bought it off the showroom floor..2016.. got a SMOKEN deal. However only a few months later, I instantly regretted it.. the 2017 Bobber was released.
I enjoyed the harley, rode nice, good power, but like all full size bikes.. it was “heavy”.. and with my short inseam (I’m related to Barney Rubble).. a PITA to maneuver in and out of my packed garage.. also I didn’t care for taking turns and almost always dragging the pegs.
After locating a used 2017 bobber... the slim was GONE! And I have NO REGRETS..
Now, I’m not a distant rider,, I enjoy “bar hopping”... jump on and just go, download my brain for a half hour or so...
The Bobber easily allows me to do that

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
I agree the Slim is a great looking bike, one of the best HD have done.

Having bought my first HD back when I was 19 in the early 1980's in England, I am a long time fan of the brand. Yesterday it was rain and I had a meeting across town, so I took the Jeep and called into my (Harley) mechanic to pick up my (now spare) wheels. He's a great chap but always teased me that I should get a Harley. As I walked in he said 'I've got just the one for you Roy' and showed me a black 'Switchback'. I confess it was a great looking bike. I sat on it and I was surprise at how similar it felt to my Bobber.

I still passed though...:grin2:

But will be honest, it was a really nice bike and I don't mind his efforts, he's a good chap and we share a lot of banter at my Triumph been in this shop.:laugh:

Cheerio,

Roy

I will add a pic of when I picked Charlotte up with her new wheels, photo taken outside his shop.

Attachments

·
Registered
595 Posts
I think it's great that HD is upping their game and diversifying the range, what do they have to loose? :surprise:

I remember seeing the Porsche Cyanne at it's launch at the 2002 Geneva Motor Show, back then I thought it looks OK but who wants a jacked up SUV Porsche? Well, it turned out everyone does and it's quite possibly the car that saved Porsche from financial ruin!

I think it will be tough for Harley to take on other established brands of Super Naked's and Adventure bikes, as it will be for BMW trying to move into the cruiser market but you've got to admire their ambition and maybe they'll be a huge success, who knows stranger things have happened?

·
Registered
966 Posts
One of the advantages HD has, at least in America, is that they have an abundance of dealers to sell and service their products.

Chico

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
One of the advantages HD has, at least in America, is that they have an abundance of dealers to sell and service their products.

Chico
I agree. It’s amazing how many dealers you pass on long trips. Only issue for them, other than making those bikes good, will be getting their dealers to support these non-traditional entries. Up till now, many HD salesmen weren’t very accommodating you weren’t interested in a big traditional cruiser. They just sort of looked down their noses at any other types of bikes. That attitude has to change.

Also agree with Bobber-Bomb that all the major car companies have had success broadening their lines into every segment. Mercedes, Porsche, Audi, BMW etc. if they can, HD can as well. They just been too shortsighted to do it. Now’s the time ...or never.

·
Registered
380 Posts
And now Buell (Eric) is now onto other very interesting things. If the bike performs as well as it looks, it could be an interesting entry in the e-moto market.
I wish Erik the best. He must still be in my area at least part time? I live about 20 miles from his former Buell motorcycle headquarters/factory and I ran into him at Home Depot this spring in the landscape dept.

·
Super Moderator
1,681 Posts
And now Buell (Eric) is now onto other very interesting things. If the bike performs as well as it looks, it could be an interesting entry in the e-moto market.

https://fuell.us/
I think the Fuel is prob one of the neatest looking E bikes out there, even for a regular bike it would look cool.

Gonna be an expensive repair though if the bottom of it rakes across a tall speed bump!

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
I think the Fuel is prob one of the neatest looking E bikes out there, even for a regular bike it would look cool.

Gonna be an expensive repair though if the bottom of it rakes across a tall speed bump!
That's definitely a sweet looking bike. My only issue with it is the 55mph sustained speed limit. Not quite fast enough for most US highways, and dangerously slow for interstates (65-70mph speed limits with people driving 5-10mph over that).

I'd be more inclined to buy the e-bike that they make, to ride to work or run errands because the others in my household that don't have a motorcycle license could use it too.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

Agree. In fact I think it’s the best looking one. From a tech standpoint though, the Damon Hypersport may have them all beat if the tech works as advertised. Could change the world of motos for the future.

https://www.topgear.com/car-news/electric/damon-hypersport-motorbike-anti-crash-tech

·
Registered
168 Posts

Chico
Anyone notice harley dealers are pretty much distanced by how far you can travel on a tank of fuel on major highways... getting off to get gas, let’s see what’s in the nearby dealership..
I was told this by a friend, he does long distance riding..on a Gullwing.
I’ve never confirmed this, but he passed on a lot of “dealership location” info that seemed to make good business sense..

1 - 20 of 30 Posts