Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
New front brake caliper is a Pretech P824. It bolts directly on. It is a 6 piston model that only required new brake lines. Bleeding the front brakes was a pain. Mono shock is from the German company Wilbers. Model 640. Spring preload is adjustable with a spanner wrench, rebound is adjustable as well. Both can be adjusted on the bike with the seat in place. The only USA distributer is Beemershop.com. British Customs drag pipes. I DO have the cat in place. I can say that below 2500 rpm they are about as loud as the original pipes. Above 3000 rpm they really come alive! I also installed a brass gas cap from A&J Cycles. The last thing was to drill out a little larger the pin for the high bars. This gives more than enough adjustment for me without compromising safety. Very happy with all these additions. I'll report back when I have a few more miles on the front brakes.

Attachments

·
Registered
62 Posts
Also, what brake line upgrade did you have to do for the Pretech?

Anyone know of a U.S. distributor for this caliper? I can't find anything on it in Google.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The front brake line is actually 2 different lines. You only need to change the lower because of the adapter angle to the caliper itself. I chose spiegler lines.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I ordered the caliper from the pretech UK website. It
was 335 British pounds including shipping.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Hi Guys - I know this is an old thread, but any updates on how you got on with the Pretech caliper? I still prefer the look of this to the Bembo solution, but did hear stories of it being all a bit wooden. Does anyone know the hydraulic ratio it gives?

Cheers, Steve.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Hi Guys - I know this is an old thread, but any updates on how you got on with the Pretech caliper? I still prefer the look of this to the Bembo solution, but did hear stories of it being all a bit wooden. Does anyone know the hydraulic ratio it gives? Cheers, Steve.
I seem to remember stock at 7.4 pretech at 9.5 Brembo at 11.8 (I have this one) 4pad Brembo at 13 really nice (I wish I had this one)

The Pretech is an improvement, but not as much feel as the Brembo's.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I seem to remember stock at 7.4 pretech at 9.5 Brembo at 11.8 (I have this one) 4pad Brembo at 13 really nice (I wish I had this one)

The Pretech is an improvement, but not as much feel as the Brembo's.

Thank you; very useful answers (and a good memory!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
27 Posts
Don’t mean to be a party pooper, but I also purchased the Wilbers 640 for my BB and the triumph dealer install it with the preload adjuster on top. After seeing your pics (nice bike!), I noticed you installed it with the preload adjuster on the bottom. I called the Wilber’s dealer to find out which is the correct why and they said preload goes on top. Could be you have reason to it that way, just thought I would pass on this info.

·
Premium Member
3,352 Posts
Don’t mean to be a party pooper, but I also purchased the Wilbers 640 for my BB and the triumph dealer install it with the preload adjuster on top. After seeing your pics (nice bike!), I noticed you installed it with the preload adjuster on the bottom. I called the Wilber’s dealer to find out which is the correct why and they said preload goes on top. Could be you have reason to it that way, just thought I would pass on this info.
Well spotted!
Here is the backup to your (very valid) point:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts