Triumph Bobber Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my new Motone knee pads, well the right one mainly, just won’t stay put and is gradually lifting off the tank. Any solutions for better adhesive that is pretty flat so it doesn’t make the pad look raised off the tank?

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Prepping the surface is most important. Make sure there is no dirt or residue of any kind. Use alcohol as the last step after cleaning products.

Chico

·
Registered
895 Posts
A&J and Motone have THE BEST customer service. Tell them about your problem and they'll make it right. Had an issue with a part and they went over the top to provide good customer service and made it right.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Prepping the surface is most important. Make sure there is no dirt or residue of any kind. Use alcohol as the last step after cleaning products.

Chico
I just ordered the moton knee pads and it’s on it’s way , what product shall I clean the tank before with? Thanks

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
I use soap and water followed by thorough drying then rubbing alcohol. Make sure the surface is dry before applying any adhesive pad. If you want to be able to move/correct the location of the pad then a light coat of soapy water on the pad will allow you to move it a bit. Make sure the pad doesn't move on it's own after final location, perhaps masking tape to keep pad in place till the soapy water evaporates, usually overnight.

Chico

·
Premium Member
3,309 Posts
I used a natural glass cleaner and of course let thoroughly dry.

Don't forget to gently 'tap' all over with a rubber mallet. This is a trick I learned in applying while contact adhesive in the woodwork industry many years ago, it really helps to make sure both surfaces are properly adhered to one another.

Cheerio and good luck,
Roy

·
Registered
74 Posts
I use soap and water followed by thorough drying then rubbing alcohol. Make sure the surface is dry before applying any adhesive pad. If you want to be able to move/correct the location of the pad then a light coat of soapy water on the pad will allow you to move it a bit. Make sure the pad doesn't move on it's own after final location, perhaps masking tape to keep pad in place till the soapy water evaporates, usually overnight.

Chico
Thanks my friend

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I picked up a sheet of 3M “super strong” adhesive. Put it on last night after ensuring tank area was clean. They still won’t hold to the tank! Urgh. I wonder if it’s because of how hot it gets in my garage?

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I certainly want to keep them on as they look legit. I’ll try some of the other solutions mentioned above but I have a feeling it’s just too hot for the glue to set.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts