1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
577 Posts
Trying to kick over a 1200 twin, mmmm no thanks

·
Registered
168 Posts
Not a issue if the timing isn't too advanced. Would LOVE to see a true kickstart.. I do know one is available for new sportsters.. but the thought of starting a low battery bike by kicking isn't a option since fuel injection is involved..

·
Registered
275 Posts
Not a issue if the timing isn't too advanced. Would LOVE to see a true kickstart.. I do know one is available for new sportsters.. but the thought of starting a low battery bike by kicking isn't a option since fuel injection is involved..

You nailed it. The bikes are so electrical reliant, a kicker would not work. You would have to have a conventional carbed motor to even get there. That's why a bump start is not possible with our current Bobbers. Sad but true. :frown2:
A fake kick starter? There is enough fake crap on our bikes...

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
If I did it I would first put a fake choke on the fake carbs! ;)
Now that's funny..:laugh::laugh::laugh:

If I had the spare cash I would love a vintage bike, maybe a pre-war Triumph Speed Twin. But I must say I do love the combination of the Bobbers 'vintage' look but modern build. I guess I'm not the only one as they are so popular.:wink2:

Cheerio,

Roy

·
Registered
129 Posts
A genuine (not fake) option would be nice, tho' after a few kicks, I'd be hitting that start button if it didn't jump into action. Oh, what whimps we've become. :)

·
Registered
456 Posts
I have it on very good authority that if you:

1. Start your Bobber, making sure not to touch the throttle...
2. Let it run until the fan kicks on...
3. Remove the starter motor and throw it in the trash while the engine idles for an additional 12 minutes...

Your Bobber will actually GROW a kick starter!

I'm telling you, those Triumph engineers are God [email protected] geniuses!!!

-GPz

·
Registered
78 Posts
Yes you can always use zero cost fake kick start:

Try in public and i think it pulls more attention than real kick starter.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I had this as a thought also, but looking into kick start levers that can be fitted and look somewhat genuine are not cheap, and will not actually function, it would have been for aesthetics on the fake cover that we have for brake fluid and radiator fluid.
But I did put some fake fuel lines to my fake carbs.....

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Kick Start

My first bike was a 1971 Norton Commando Roadster (kick start only) and I've owned (to name a few) 1977 T140V, 1967 BSA Lightning, 3 XLCH Sportsters (kick start)............and I always felt it was kinda cool kick starting my scooters. BUT back then most of the hot bikes never had dependable electrics and most of us didn't want the extra weight or electrical load. IMO our Bobber are too sophisticated (even if they are retro-style) to capture the look, the sound and the feel of a vintage Norton or Triumph. The quickest cure for those longing for the back-to-basics in motorbikes would be to purchase a vintage 1972 Norton Combat Commando Roadster with Amal 932 Concentric CV carbs (or equivalent) for a good workout. There is a good reason why most bikes (today) don't have kick starters and I'm old enough to remember why. But that's just my 2 cents.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts