Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,

Long story, but the gist of it is that I got in an accident the other day. Bike was towed while I went to the ER. I'm okay other than a laceration on my foot.

But:
The key was in the ignition when I left in the ambulance, and also (I'm assuming) when it was towed.

I had a friend go to the towing place to give them paperwork for me, and I gave him my spare key "just in case" to give to them. He misunderstood and gave them the spare.

I called and they don't seem to be sure where the other key is. I'm going to talk to another person tomorrow, maybe it'll turn up.

But in the meantime, just curious: If I have to get a new key, how do I go about this? I know it's not as simple as going to a locksmith, due to the transponder and all...

·
Registered
608 Posts
that's pretty much buy a key through your dealer, they program it for you, if it's a nice dealer then they do it for nothing (takes a minute or 2), if its a moneygrabbing git of a dealer, bend over the counter and wait for the bill.

Although prepare for a blank from the dealer and find yourself hoofing it off to get it cut first....

You can try an online service too such as - It's in the Uk so not much help but prolly get one in the states too

·
Registered
347 Posts
I don't know if its true or not, but the dealer who sold me the bike said that losing the spare key wth the code was something you really want to avoid. According to him if you lose the primary key they can supply a new key easily enough. However if you lose the code for the key which is on a tag with the spare then be prepared to shell out a substantial sum as it means they will stiff you for a new ecu. As I say I dont know if this is true or just dealer baloney.

·
Registered
187 Posts
If you can ask two dealers about it and they both give you the same answer then it won't be baloney. Either way, best to give them a call or something and ask what your options are.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Glad to hear you're okay and hope your foot heals up quick! Sorry to hear about the accident, totally sucks. Hope the damages on the bike aren't too bad. Keep us posted on your key situation as well as how the repairs on the bike progress.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Glad to hear you're okay and hope your foot heals up quick! Sorry to hear about the accident, totally sucks. Hope the damages on the bike aren't too bad. Keep us posted on your key situation as well as how the repairs on the bike progress.
Thanks, DJ. Happy to be a part of this community.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
One more idea: Anybody know how close the key needs to be to the ignition for the transponder to work?

As a temporary solution, I could theoretically get a new "normal" key cut and just keep the transponder secured to the bike.

I'm aware this ruins the point of the immobilizer, but maybe a short-term thing...? I'm pretty careful about using multiple locks, covering the bike, etc...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts