Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I'll be an American visiting Kent for a few days, from Sept 14-18. Any recommendations from the Brits? Certainly any motorcycle related events or activities would be welcome, but also general recommendations for food or places to visit as well. Considering renting a bike, but a little nervous about riding on the left side of the road -- no room for error on a moto.

·
Registered
171 Posts
So, I'll be an American visiting Kent for a few days, from Sept 14-18. Any recommendations from the Brits? Certainly any motorcycle related events or activities would be welcome, but also general recommendations for food or places to visit as well. Considering renting a bike, but a little nervous about riding on the left side of the road -- no room for error on a moto.
You need to speak to Mike J Commo! He lives in that part of the country. :smile2:

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
You need to speak to Mike J Commo! He lives in that part of the country. :smile2:
I certainly do :)

Kent is known as the Garden Of England thanks to its beautiful countryside. There are great riding roads everywhere with easy access to lots of coastal towns. There are a number of biker meets to visit if the weather is good.

I wouldn’t be worried about riding on the wrong/correct ;) side of the road. I do it all the time when I head over the channel and it takes but a moment to adapt.

If you do end up hiring a bike and want to head out together for the day just give me a shout. I can potentially be available on Sunday or Monday whilst you’re here but I’d need a little notice.

You can reach me here [email protected]

·
Registered
283 Posts
Canterbury is always worth a visit for the Cathedral, but with the weak pound it will be heaving at the weekends with Belgian and French shoppers. As Chezqui says France is readily accessible either via the Channel Tunnel at Folkestone (expensive) or the ferry at Dover (which has an excellent castle). Calais is a shithole, but its only about 35mins from there to Brugge in Belgium, and with the bonus you get to ride on the wrong side of the road. Its a medieval city so you are better off getting a hotel on the outskirts and ride a bus into town. Great beer in Belgium. Back in Kent you could visit Churchills home at Chartham and not far from there is Leeds Castle which is a bit twee but the surrounding area is lovely. Whitstable not far from Canterbury is a nice seaside town with great seafood. In Chatham they have the old naval dockyard which is supposed to be really interesting. Not sure about renting a bike. There is this place in Tonbridge buy I am sure there are others. Kent has lots of narrow lanes and is ideal for pottering around on a bike. Oh and Sandwich near me is nice place to visit.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I certainly do :)

Kent is known as the Garden Of England thanks to its beautiful countryside. There are great riding roads everywhere with easy access to lots of coastal towns. There are a number of biker meets to visit if the weather is good.

I wouldn’t be worried about riding on the wrong/correct ;) side of the road. I do it all the time when I head over the channel and it takes but a moment to adapt.

If you do end up hiring a bike and want to head out together for the day just give me a shout. I can potentially be available on Sunday or Monday whilst you’re here but I’d need a little notice.

You can reach me here [email protected]

Thanks! That's awful nice of you. I doubt it will work, but I am going to explore options. Do you happen to know of a motorcycle rental that you'd recommend?

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Canterbury is always worth a visit for the Cathedral, but with the weak pound it will be heaving at the weekends with Belgian and French shoppers. As Chezqui says France is readily accessible either via the Channel Tunnel at Folkestone (expensive) or the ferry at Dover (which has an excellent castle). Calais is a shithole, but its only about 35mins from there to Brugge in Belgium, and with the bonus you get to ride on the wrong side of the road. Its a medieval city so you are better off getting a hotel on the outskirts and ride a bus into town. Great beer in Belgium. Back in Kent you could visit Churchills home at Chartham and not far from there is Leeds Castle which is a bit twee but the surrounding area is lovely. Whitstable not far from Canterbury is a nice seaside town with great seafood. In Chatham they have the old naval dockyard which is supposed to be really interesting. Not sure about renting a bike. There is this place in Tonbridge buy I am sure there are others. Kent has lots of narrow lanes and is ideal for pottering around on a bike. Oh and Sandwich near me is nice place to visit.

Good info -- Thanks!

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Oh, btw, I'll be staying in Whitstable...
That’s only 30 mins from me. Lovely place, especially if you like oysters!

There are a number of companies that offer rentals depending on what you fancy riding? Let me know and I’ll look into it for you.

The Bike Shed in London is well worth a visit for lunch whilst here.

Let us know what kind of things you’re into and I and I’m sure others will give you more ideas than you know what to do with 👍

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Oh, btw, I'll be staying in Whitstable...

There are a number of companies that offer rentals depending on what you fancy riding? Let me know and I’ll look into it for you.

Let us know what kind of things you’re into and I and I’m sure others will give you more ideas than you know what to do with 👍
Cheers mate. (Practicing!). Bike-wise, not really into sport bikes or big Harleys, but otherwise open. Triumphs, BMWs, Guzzis, and Enfields all strike my fancy. A weakness for vintage and classics of course.

I was actually wondering if the Buke Shed would be worth a visit on a ransom weekday, with no special shows or the like on, so glad to get that recommendation.

Looking forward to oysters and fish and chips. I’ll be staying with friends who will have some activities planned, but I’m always happy to get more ideas.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts

Laguna can hire you a nice T120 which is a nice easy and relaxed bike to ride. Perfect for the Kent countryside I’d say. If of interest let me know and I’ll see if I can get you a discount as I know the guys over there pretty well 👍

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Laguna can hire you a nice T120 which is a nice easy and relaxed bike to ride. Perfect for the Kent countryside I’d say. If of interest let me know and I’ll see if I can get you a discount as I know the guys over there pretty well 👍

Very good, thanks! I'm gonna think on it. Have to see about my non-moto schedule, and some logistical stuff (getting to and from the place, not having my helmet or any gear with me, etc), but it is nice to know there may an option. Really appreciate your help.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Considering renting a bike, but a little nervous about riding on the left side of the road -- no room for error on a moto.
Riding on the "wrong" side of the road is easier on a motorcycle than it is driving in a car. I used to drive over to England from Germany in my U.S. spec car. It was almost impossible to pass on some of the hedgerow roads. I've ridden Ireland on a bike. It was a piece of cake.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Hmmm. Not sure I agree. Swapping the the other way, a car is fine because you're sitting on the other side of the car, on a bike you're not.

When doing the slow stuff in a town in France looking for a Formula 1 hotel, I turned out of a T-junction onto the LH side... Fortunately no traffic but a big fright...

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Back from the UK. Didn't have a chance to get on a bike myself, but saw lots riding around in the glorious weather last week, a few days in Kent and one full day in London. I was a bit surprised that probably 75% were sport bikes. After that, many smaller, sort-of "dual sport" bikes I guess. The occasional big Harley. And only rarely a Triumph! (Never a Bobber.)

Another observation: To my American eyes guys were filtering through and around traffic like crazy! Esp in London it was pretty heart-stopping.

In non-Triumph news, I met up with a guy I know in London, who has a really nice rebuilt classic Sportster ('78 engine and frame, but parts from other years, including a great '60s seat.) One of the things I noticed is that he had cut down his license plate drastically -- looked good. I'll attach a pic here -- not the best view of the plate, but you can sorta tell how it looks.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 26 Posts