Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

Wanted to get your input on how you keep your ride clean, and tips on washing your bike.

I live in an apartment complex so I'm not fortunate enough to have a driveway and hose and be able to gently sponge wash my ride. On my previous bike, basically I would go to one of those coin operated car washes, spray it down with some of that S100 motorcycle cleaner that I would bring with me, rinse off with the water sprayer, then dry off. Seemed to work well. In between washings, I would dust off with one of those car dusters.

I didn't have spoked wheels though, so I'm wondering what would be best in cleaning those. I heard some cleaners like Simple Green can actually corrode the spokes and/or any aluminum parts. I was also wondering if there were any recommendatons of any of those spray detail products (that you don't need any water) if those were any good. Or should I just stick with my S100 routine.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,689 Posts
I used regular car wash soap and a dedicated micro fiber wash rag. I don't do anything special for the spokes other than use some degreaser on the rear one from any chain lube spray.

The hard thing is the drying since it has so many nooks and crannies. I use either my air tank or my back pack leaf blower to dry it. If you can't do that an good ride after washing should help dry out the hard to get to areas.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I use Meguiar's Gold Class car shampoo in a bucket of luke-warm water and have two microfiber mitts': 1 x for the painted areas and the 2nd for every-where else on the bike. Use same shampoo for spokes/wheels. Rinse with clean running water out of the tap rather than power-washer, as I believe the pressure might put water where you do not want water.

Use a leaf-blower to get excess water out/off then finish off with a good chamois cloth on painted & control areas.
Take it for a 10 minute ride around or idle it for 5 minutes if the roads are wet.

The Stainless exhaust headers do change colour and sometimes get black lines through them because of the CO2 but 'elbow grease' and metal polish bring it back to look like new ones.
Enjoy!

·
Registered
187 Posts
Do you mean clean or polish your spoke wheels? A sturdy long-handled brush will help, it'll save your knuckles and get between the spokes.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks guys for the tips!

i guess key is a good degreaser for all that chain lube residue that gets on the wheels that i've been noticing now. haven't had a chain driven bike for quite a while now (previous bike was belt) so now being reminded of having to deal with that.

definitely lots of nooks and crannies to keep clean!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts