Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So last month I bought my first Triumph...a Bobber Black. Absolutely love the bike, love the way it rides, love the attention to detail, love the way it turns heads. What I don’t love is that it’s already back at the dealership with an oil leak. Turns out the water pump is bad which is causing oil to push through the seals and out of the weep hole in the bottom of the pan. 200 miles on it (though the problem manifested much earlier without me realizing what it was.)

Looking for feedback from those with a history with Triumphs. Just bad luck? Admittedly I’m a little cynical because this is my 9th motorcycle owned but the first ever to go back to the shop virtually new and leaking oil.

Hoping it’s a fluke that will be fixed shortly and forgotten.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
So last month I bought my first Triumph...a Bobber Black. Absolutely love the bike, love the way it rides, love the attention to detail, love the way it turns heads. What I don’t love is that it’s already back at the dealership with an oil leak. Turns out the water pump is bad which is causing oil to push through the seals and out of the weep hole in the bottom of the pan. 200 miles on it (though the problem manifested much earlier without me realizing what it was.)

Looking for feedback from those with a history with Triumphs. Just bad luck? Admittedly I’m a little cynical because this is my 9th motorcycle owned but the first ever to go back to the shop virtually new and leaking oil.

Sorry to hear of the issue you’ve suffered.

There was one other guy on here who had written a post in relation to what he believed to be an excessive amount of oil leaking via the weep hole. Having said that I can’t remeber the name of the the chap who posted that so it might well have been you?

·
Registered
382 Posts

·
Registered
601 Posts

I’m sure it is just bad luck :frown2:

Either that or Triumph is taking this whole retro thing to another level, you can’t get more authentic than a Triumph with an oil leak >:)

·
Super Moderator
886 Posts
Like Bobber-Bomb says, an oil leak is all part of the retro-theme. It's probably calibrated at the factory, and you can get an upgrade kit that lets you replicate the leaks of various models throughout the ages. Eisen might even move the kit to the left-hand side >:)

But seriously, this is the kind of issue you can expect with a model 1. I previously had a Triumph Thunderbird, also on its first model year, and it developed a weep around the water pump. It was fixed under warranty and never recurred. I'd expect Triumph to fix this and for it to not recur, and for you to have many happy miles.

But let us know how it goes!

- Pasta

·
Registered
415 Posts
Yeah, as I mentioned in your other thread, I am keeping an eye on mine also. I get moisture at the weep hole but not enough to call a “leak” yet.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone for the feedback and talking me off the ledge a bit...sounds like bit of bad luck that will hopefully be fixed by the dealer this week. Based on the link to the triumphrat forum discussion I’m hoping they don’t just throw a new part at it without checking the seals as well.

And thanks for the “you wanted retro...you got it” humor...I was thinking I had lost my “if I wanted a bike that’s always in the shop I’d have bought a Harley” card but “100% authentic retro” is much better! :smile2:

I’ll post an update when I’m back in the saddle.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Why is it that those who don't own Harley products feel they have to knock HD. I have a 2000 Fatboy from new and she had one repair, a dried seal, not bad.:confused:

Chico

·
Registered
119 Posts
Why is it that those who don't own Harley products feel they have to knock HD. I have a 2000 Fatboy from new and she had one repair, a dried seal, not bad.:confused:

Chico
I agree, if you don't have personal experience, don't knock. I've had 20 bikes over the last 43 years including Suzuki, Honda, Yamaha, Honda, Ducati, HD, BMW, original Triumph and new Triumph. Some have been totally trouble free, some have had minor issues. I've had issues on Japenese bikes with only 15,000 miles on the clock (cam shredded the hardness coating on the lobes) and HD with ZERO issues with over 95,000 miles on the bike. My current HD has 45,000 totally trouble free miles on it with only routine maintenance.

These are mass produced machines and issues can and will happen to any of them.

To the OP, it will be fixed under warrenty and you may put 100,000 miles on it without any more issues. Don't sweat the small stuff.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Agree, too. Had an HD Low Rider for years with no issues. Only regular maintenance. I no longer ride HDs not because of quality issues but, because they just didn't have anything that appealed to me as far as lighter weight, more responsive, etc. Went with an Indian Scout (about 150 lbs. less than the Low Rider) and it's been terrific for longer rides. In town, it's the Triumph Bobber though. Even lighter, more performance and lots more electronic goodies. Great motorcycle. Love it. Once Triumph fixes that issue, Swsantoni, you will, too.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Agreed we should all know not to knock HDs as the owners are very defensive and get upset :wink2:

please take this lightly :smile2:
as I always say: A HD is the most effective way to turn petrol into noise without the negative sideeffect of delivering power...

*hide for cover as bullets fly around my head

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
as I always say: A HD is the most effective way to turn petrol into noise without the negative sideeffect of delivering power...

*hide for cover as bullets fly around my head
Well I’ve heard the hardest thing about owning a Harley is telling your folks that your gay.

For the record I love them... and no I’ve not told my folks yet! >:)

·
Registered
119 Posts
The good thing about Triumphs is you never have to change the oil. It constantly changes it by itself, you just add a quart or two every ride.

Hey, it works both ways...LOL

1 - 20 of 22 Posts