Triumph Bobber Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,
my name is John, 32 years of age, from a small town in mid-western Germany. First of all I like to thank the creators/admins of this forum for making it accessible for the public without an account! The last weeks I lay in a hospital after an life-threatening issue with my lung and being able to read this forum and view the attached pictures (which isn't the case in most forums) really helped me pass the time!
Although it sounds like a cliche, being this close to dying really changes one's view of life... And that's why I decided to enjoy life a bit more, which includes buying my dream bike - the Triumph Bonneville Bobber! Since I'm still on the road to recovery, it will take some time, until I'll have her in my garage.
I just got my bike driver's licence at the beginning of this season and bought a Yamaha MT 07 as a first bike. I wasn't sure how much time I would be able to spend for some bike tours and I didn't want to waste too much money on a hobby I could rarely pursue. But after realising how much fun it is to get on my bike after a stressful day at work, I was sure that I'm going to get a better bike eventually. Not that the MT 07 isn't a good bike - in fact it's one of the most perfect beginner bikes when it comes to price-power-handling ratio. But the style and the riding postion isn't really suited for me and after test riding the Bobber a couple of weeks before my lung-incident, I was sure I want to buy her at some point.
Well - due to my health condition, I decided not to wait any longer, because [another cliche!] life may be shorter, than one might think... :wink2:
So, as soon as I'm up to it, I will visit the next Triumph dealer and trade in my MT 07 for a Bobber in ironstone. Thanks to all the great ideas you guys are discussing here, I already have some modifications in mind: aside from some Triumph OEM parts like heated grips and bobbins I would definitely like to do something with the rear fender and rear lighting - going the direction of the custom Bobber by Bike Brothers ( http://www.bikebrothers.de/website/gallery/ - second gallery from the bottom).
And that's the point where my questions begin... :wink2: Since I live in Germany, we have some rather strict laws on modifications and I was wondering if anyone knows why the short rear fender from Triumph isn't allowed here. Clearly the guys at Bike Brothers found a way to make their mods street legal and I will try to get in touch with them too. But maybe someone here can tell me a good (and not too expensive way) to achieve this look. I was thinking of cutting the original fender, install some kind of side-mounted license plate (which doesn't seem to be allowed in the OEM version here either!?) and go with Rizoma Club S blinkers for front and back. What do you guys think??
Other minor (and in comparsion quite easy) mods would be white wall tires using this: https://tinyurl.com/y8yqbhgw - a yellowish foil for the headlight (I just like the style of these and not planning on any night tours) and eventually some kind of removable luggage rack, like the one a forum member already mentioned from an ural. For the latter, I'm willing to wait until some kind of aftermarket accessory that's made for the Bobber is available. Of course I'll get a new jacket and helmet that's more suited to a retro bike (Nolan N21, Shoei J.O or Shark Raw/Drak). :smile2:
Although the text is getting longer and longer, one last question has been going around my mind, which may be a just a german thing: normally bikes are "female" and called "her", but in german "Bobber" is male... so - is your bike a she or a he??
That's it for now... :wink2: Thanks again for all your interesting topics and discussions and keeping my mind off things during the time in the hospital!! Hope to see some of you soon on the road, at meetings or at the Distinguished Gentleman’s Ride 2018! :grin2:
Cheers! -John-

·
Registered
678 Posts
Hi John and welcome.
Good luck on the recovery and I hope you are soon on your Bobber. At least you won't have to pay silly DHL prices to get stuff delivered from Bike Brothers. I just got their tool bags. love them but wow DHL charges :D

·
Super Moderator
1,260 Posts
John, welcome to the forum and good luck with your recovery. I just bought my Bobber yesterday, it is truly awesome and you will love it once you get it!

On your English question, as you say things in English are generally neuter. But, in general, the rule is If you're in it or on it, it's female. Hence bikes, boats and cars are usually referred to as she.

Another great English expression that will serve you well is If it has **** or tires it will break your heart.

Speedy recovery!

- Pasta

·
Super Moderator
1,260 Posts
I triggered the forum's modesty filter again! OK, let's see if this works:

If it has tyts or tyres it will breake your hearte.

Middle English rules!

- P

·
Registered
360 Posts
Although the text is getting longer and longer, one last question has been going around my mind, which may be a just a german thing: normally bikes are "female" and called "her", but in german "Bobber" is male... so - is your bike a she or a he??
Willkommen hier im Bobber Forum John! Ich hoffe du geniesst eine schnelle und erfolgreiche Genesung!

Okay, enough German for now :wink2:

We do indeed tend to give driveable, rideable or sailable devices or vessels and machines, female names or at least call them she or her.

My bobber is called Guineviere :smile2:

Again, welcome here, and hope you get well soon.
By the way; maybe we will indeed meet up some day; I'm just over an hour away from you between Hannover and Braunschweig!

You're gonna love the bobber; I can't keep off Guineviere :grin2:>:)

Cheers!
mike

Reactions: Bobber John

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you very much! Recovery seem's to be going well according to the docs and I'm really looking forward to the first ride on my own Bobber... Just spoke with the dealer today: they don't have a ironstone in stock and aren't sure when they'll get one, but they have a brand new one in jet black... hmm - not sure I can wait too long... maybe with some white stripes of car wrapping foil??

I triggered the forum's modesty filter again! OK, let's see if this works:
If it has tyts or tyres it will breake your hearte.
Middle English rules!
- P
:D indeed! well - in this case I might just be a whiffle-whaffle ;)

Reactions: Louie

·
Registered
203 Posts
I call my Bobber Magdalena or Maggie and my Harley is Sarah! Oh and welcome to the forum and wishing you a speedy recovery

·
Registered
360 Posts
they don't have a ironstone in stock and aren't sure when they'll get one, but they have a brand new one in jet black... hmm - not sure I can wait too long...
>:)get it.... get it.... get it....>:)

0:)have patience John.... 0:)

>:)Oh bollocks, get it while you can.... >:)

:grin2::grin2::grin2:
cheers!
mike

1 - 11 of 11 Posts