Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Gents,

As some of you may have read on my introduction post (Englishman in New Mexico) on Monday I picked up my brand new Bobber Black from the Albuquerque dealership a couple of hours south of me here in Northern New Mexico. Needless to say I 'love' this bike and completely enjoyed the wonderful scenic ride home.

However!

I had one gripe as I had ordered the 'Jet' black version. The Matt black is super nice and I can understand why this version is so popular but for me the Jet black just pipped it at the post. So on picking up my bike I noted it was a hybrid :surprise: The tank being Jet whereas the rest of the bike was Matt. See photos below.

Having never actually seen one before I wasn't sure if this was my mistake or not but on getting home it became clear that I was not in error.

The good news is that I emailed my dealer with my concerns and received a prompt reply with an apology and an admission that it was Triumph's mistake, the new 'correct' parts have already been ordered and will be fitted as part of my first service.

Needless to say I'm thrilled and it's great that the dealership didn't give me a hard time and with no hesitation wanted to make this right. Will update with a new photo once the work is all done but thought I would share this little story just in case it was of interest.

Cheerio,

Roy

Attachments

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Wow! :surprise: That is odd. Matte black makes a fine looking bike but I prefer Jet because it is easier for me to keep looking nice.

Glad you are getting everything straightened out.

Love the brown seat! (At least it looks brown in the picture.) I have one on order. Hopefully it will get here this week.

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
keep it as is, you will be unique, a one off, a maverick, eccentric.
That's an interesting question, how does one tell?

On looking the vin number does have 'JT' prior to the six digit number, so I'm suspecting that reflects 'jet', is that correct?

Cheers,

Roy

·
Registered
509 Posts
That's an interesting question, how does one tell?

On looking the vin number does have 'JT' prior to the six digit number, so I'm suspecting that reflects 'jet', is that correct?

Cheers,

Roy
Dealer could tell you for sure how it is recognized on the title. I have a Jet Black Bobber Black , I’ll look at my VIN for grins.

·
Registered
602 Posts
It's one of the odd things with Triumph, almost every manufacturer I have ever come across generally color's their bikes by the tank and bodywork, in the Bobber lineup however that's a wee bit different, the only part of the bike that changes colour is the tank, rest of the bike stays, in this case with the Bobber Black model it's Matt Black. So with the gloss black tank, you did indeed get the Jet black model.

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi Gents,

Having never actually seen a Bobber 'Jet' Black before, I was going on this image (see attached) taken from their website. As you can see (and as Big Bear shows) ALL panels should indeed be 'jet' black.

I pointed this image out to my dealer and they (along with Triumph) agreed with me, so parts have been ordered for replacement.

I think maybe the tank colour alone may be correct for the standard Bobber but the 'Black' model should be (panel wise) all Matt or all Jet. Happy to be corrected but going off their own website this appears to be the case.

Cheers,

Roy

Attachments

·
Registered
366 Posts
Hey roy...I to "was" an Englishman in NM , quite a few years ago now , we lived In Alamogordo ( near white sands ) for a year or two then moved up the mountain to La Luz . I loved NM , my wife was offered a good job on the east coat VA so we moved there . on the + side It Is a lot closer to the UK .

Got a lot of fond memories of NM , and some not so memorable like a couple of speeding tickets on the road to El Passo .

Enjoy your new bike mate ...Look out for those cops hiding behind bushes :)

·
Registered
509 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts