Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,583 Posts
I've seen this website before, very cool little bikes.

I think there is real potential for getting back to basics and offering a more vintage/antique feel or look to a bike that is also economical to run and has the potential for home maintenance. I almost faint when I see the digital display light up on my Bobber - I'm just an old Luddite at heart.

And just for fun and to highlight a more simpler time. Here is an original photograph lifted from my "my kind of people" thread.

Cheerio,

Roy

Attachments

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Recently read on the Revzilla blog that the segment that has been showing some vitality of late is the small, less expensive but, good looking basic motorcycles and that the expensive heavyweights continue to drag down the category. Those Janus motos are at the lower end of the power spectrum but, they look really cool (not sure about the price point) and could entice many new riders who need urban transportation. Hope they do really well as the category can definitely use a boost.

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
These retro bikes look pretty darn cool, but the price point seems high to me for a 250. Revzilla recently did a review on a CSC bike, and I checked out their website below...pretty interesting options. There are no dealerships, so they ship the bike literally ready to run, full gas tank and all, for a really low price. They tested the SG250 San Gabriel and were really impressed with the value for under $2,000.

https://www.cscmotorcycles.com/default.asp?page=xNewInventory

·
Super Moderator
851 Posts
Love the Jawa, looks so like the early 70's 350 2-stroke twin. I had a square tank CZ 175 as my first "big" bike...

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Thanks for bringing these new bikes to the forum. I didn't know that they existed. This is very cool.

Over 40 years ago my first ever motorcycle was a 250cc Kawasaki 2-stroke. It was a great starter bike. I could handle it. If I dropped it I picked it up. I rode it along power lines. I rode it on the street. If it broke I could (and did) fix it. It was a simple bike that gave me a lot of good memories.

My days of going 240 kph down the autobahn are over. I don't need another super bike. I don't need another big adventure bike. I'm very happy to putt along the back roads. (That's why I bought my Bobber.) As I said earlier, I like this new trend.

·
Registered
547 Posts
In the late 1970s my brother had a Yamaha 250 that, for all it's lack of horsepower, would flat out fly around town... As long as you're not heading out on the highway, a 250 can be lots of zippy fun.

·
Premium Member
2,583 Posts
In the late 1970s my brother had a Yamaha 250 that, for all it's lack of horsepower, would flat out fly around town... As long as you're not heading out on the highway, a 250 can be lots of zippy fun.
You're not wrong. I never owned one but my older brother did. Those RD250's (and 350's) were really quick. Of course it then went to the RDLC and then the RDLC-YPVS (if I'm remembering correctly). Gosh those things could fly. Not my type of bike at all but many of my mates had them.

Cheerio,

Roy

·
Super Moderator
1,132 Posts
Thank you so much @muensterrdeath and @DesertRunner for those links. That is EXACTLY where my heart lies. One or other, or maybe both, will get some money from me!
@ysoslo, thanks too. But I get the Rezvilla email newsletter too, so not quite the earth-shaking revelation of the other two! :)

- P

·
Registered
67 Posts
I've seen the Janus bikes at various events over the last year or so, and they are quite interesting and look to be very well engineered. And the fit & finish is better than what you'd expect.
If there weren't a few bikes that I want that were already in that price range, I'd get one.

Really though, I want one just so I could get a personalized license plate that said: HUGH

·
Premium Member
2,583 Posts
Speaking of retro bikes,

This may have been mentioned els where too. But I have a vague memory of a young Indian guy living in California who was splicing together Enfield engines to create a v-twin.

Anyone hear of such or has seen on?

Cheerio,

Roy

1 - 20 of 23 Posts