Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all - V&H exhausts fitted and I'm a really happy bunny! Deeper somewhat louder roar, probably better throttle response in low gears, nice pop pop on decel. Overall very pleased. However ...... would an X pipe make a difference? What is the consensus?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Sorry, but I cannot agree!

I had the x-pipes installed with the stock exhaust. If we talk about sound, I can report a marginally deeper and a hardly noticeable louder sound. If we talk about performance, I must report: It makes absolutely no difference! :frown2:

I did several acceleration measurements comparing catalyst and x- pipes. I didn't notice any changes in power or throttle response neither at low nor at high revs! :frown2:

Psychologically the x-pipes perhaps are great! But why get into troubles with the emission controls, if there is no benefit? So I cleaned them thoroughly with brake cleaner, and returned them to sender! 0:)

Sad to say, but regarding performance the V&H exhaust (or any other exhaust) for shure is a placebo too, as long as you don't modify the air intake and the ECU mapping as well! Sorry mates, but we must take note of the physics!:crying:

·
Premium Member
3,352 Posts
I have no access to a dyno and i made no claims to the xpipe adding any bhp or torque.
Seat of the pants test says the bike is smoother.
However, the xpipe does make a difference to the sound/noise - if indeed thats what Greybeard was asking.

I have had stock pipes without the xpipe, (EU) V&H with AND without the xpipe and now the zards with the xpipe.
There was definitely a change in exhaust note - for the better - once i had the xpipe installed.

·
Premium Member
3,352 Posts
@Greybeard
Fellow forum member muensterDeath and i have talked alot about mods for the bike and his knack for sound perception and note change is beyond reproach.
I hope he doesn´t mind me copy/pasting a paragraph from his xpipe post (as i highly respect his opinion):

¨...The GOOD!------ the sound is "louder"....but the rumble is much better. You can really feel and here the parallel twin...it thrums and is deep. I and others (had them ride it) DID feel a difference in throttle control and grunt. It is more responsive and has a longer range of of pull. I definitely noticed a difference. However, after a 100 mile ride today in the foot hills of Va, I was used to it by the end of the ride.
Long story short, short of nuances for installation, an excellent performance mod, highly recommend it¨.

(http://www.triumphbobberforum.com/forum/377-exhaust-headers/4385-bc-xpipe-vs-free-sprits-xpipe-3.html)

·
Premium Member
1,689 Posts
I noticed a significant sound difference. I did a sound test (just my ears, no recording) in my garage (door open) before and after and there was a very noticeable change in the sound and DB. Not Loud, but certainly louder. It reverberated in the garage more than stock, and allowed me to hear the low end more, big smiles. Also, riding it with the same helmet, I could hear the bike more than before the xpipe. It def gave it more of a rumble, and better throttle response. Was it a huge change, absolutely not, a worthwhile change, for me, absolutely and would recommend it.

I am not sure of the merit behind it, but there have been some articles and videos from xpipe engineers (xpipes for the Bobber, Bonneville, etc) stating that where the xpipes are cut and welded (creating the connection/gap between left and right side of the pipes) is crucial in the xpipe being functional as a performance mod or simply getting read of the weight of the catalytic converter.

There are other folk that have done slip ons, and then the Xpipe after the new pipes, and have stated that it made even louder/deeper. (BC shotguns w/ xpipe are apparently really loud, whereas BC Shotguns with NO xpipe are not so much (still loud, but not car alarm detonating loud).

·
Premium Member
3,352 Posts
The zards are obnoxiously loud with the freespirits x-pipe & without the dBkillers installed. But with the dBkillers in place, the sound is perfect (for me...)

·
Premium Member
3,352 Posts
Haha, yeah I recall that! Sounded great and prob made the HD riders go "what the...!!!"
The HD riders couldn’t even hear themselves thinking >:)
The sound was fantastic for a week, but soon became too much. The fact that zard sent me various dB killers to experiment with (free of charge) is a testament to their excellent customer service.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hi all - V&H exhausts fitted and I'm a really happy bunny! Deeper somewhat louder roar, probably better throttle response in low gears, nice pop pop on decel. Overall very pleased. However ...... would an X pipe make a difference? What is the consensus?
I have the vh pipes as well, and trust me you want the xpipe. It changes the tone to a much deeper and louder rumble. Totally awesome.

Performance wise, I did it at the same time so I couldn't say.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
1,148 Posts
I agree with BigBird here. In another post somewhere on this forum I asked for Dyno results of before and after and there haven't been many. Power changes need more fuel-air flowing into the engine, different ignition timing, better flow out...but better flow-out by itself can't do much, and often does more hard than good.

I'm a firm believer in farkling to make your bike better suited to your preferences, and to make it look the way you want. But farkes that claim to improve performance are few...it's like special loudspeaker cable that claims to give 'outstanding clarity in the mids'...all good stuff until you get the measurement gear out.

- P

·
Premium Member
1,689 Posts
I agree with BigBird here. In another post somewhere on this forum I asked for Dyno results of before and after and there haven't been many. Power changes need more fuel-air flowing into the engine, different ignition timing, better flow out...but better flow-out by itself can't do much, and often does more hard than good.

I'm a firm believer in farkling to make your bike better suited to your preferences, and to make it look the way you want. But farkes that claim to improve performance are few...it's like special loudspeaker cable that claims to give 'outstanding clarity in the mids'...all good stuff until you get the measurement gear out.

- P
To each their own my friend. Is there a performance difference, IE added HP, I would think so no matter how slight as it does remove a restriction, and agree no one has shown the results via dyno. I for certain noticed a diff in the throttle response.

With out a doubt though, if looking to change the exhaust note (I am avoiding saying improve because that's to the beholder), the xpipe will do that for certain, stock or aftermarket cans, and it will remove some weight.

And for loud speakers, I am rocking a pair of cinematic Altec Lansings from the mid 70s....they pre-date me...super clear...

·
Registered
519 Posts
Graybeard

Then x pipe and the Vance and Hines really makes a nice sound. It is nice and mellow unless you want it to speak. You can cruise at low rpm with a very mellow sound, but get it North of 3500rpm and it has a deep and aggressive sound.

I would have to disagree that this couldn’t be considered a performance modification . There is a reason that a free flowing exhaust is one of the most basic of performance modifications in nearly any application. Of course, air flow and fueling changes all come into play as well. Unless the stock system is providing max flow (probably not the case..most stock exhausts are designed more around emissions and sound reduction vs performance) a free flowing exhaust is a plus even...... if it is a slight one.

·
Registered
116 Posts
My 2 cents... I had the V&H pipes put on and matching software upgrade. I felt a performance upgrade for sure. Sound over stock was neglible. Then I did the tec X. I did not feel a noticeable performance difference but the sound was sooo much better.

·
Registered
845 Posts

- P
Hi, I posted these links before on another thread but I guess the same questions keep coming up. OK they’re for a Thruxton R and a Speed Twin so not ideal but at least it should give some idea of why people are doing it and what the potential is :smile2:
Cat removal (X-pipe) - Dyno tests, A/F ratios, performance - Definitive test results - Page 3 - Triumph Forum: Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums

·
Registered
83 Posts
i'm going to disagree with the bigbird.

yes it definitely does make the engine sound more "throaty" and my "butt dyno" does say it feels like she has more pep in the mid-range. my Bobber has always been very torquie off the line, and i can never complain about her top end, she can definitely go fast, but to me she does "feel" like she gets to her top end much quicker than she did without the x-pipe.

now it may be totally unfair to say that the x-pipe alone did this as i did fitted the bike with the https://www.boosterplug.com/shop/boosterplug-triumph-bonneville-698p.html at the same time. i do understand the physics behind this gadget, and i also acknowledge that owner's of any new toy/gadget want to psychologically "feel" like they well spent their money on the new toy/gadet and it greatly improved the performance of whatever new the gadget is that they bought is. all that said, i like what i got, and yes i would spentd my money on these again.

as a fina lnote, i have bought the Gasser exhaust pipes, and hopefully i will feel the same about their install.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Engine braking, I've read on a couple of other forums members who've replaced the cat with a x pipe have lost most of the engine braking.
I'm trying to wrap my head around this. Has anyone noticed this on Bobber after replacing the cat?

·
Registered
116 Posts
This is NONSENS!

As I already mentionned above, the x-pipe makes doesn't have a measurable effect on the accelerating power of the Bobber! It has a low rev engine, so it is not surprising at all, that it is breathing easily through the stock exhaust system!

But nevertheless, be happy, here are the GOOD NEWS for you: The x-pipe's effect on the engine breaking force = 0! ZERO!

If you want to impress the HD guys out there with a really loud Bobber, here we go:

Plan A: You can install the x-pipe and a Zard muffler! The x-pipe is not obligatory! Forget the dB killer! If you throw the airbox out as well, then buddy, this will give you the ultimate roar! But in this case don't forget to install a Power Comander modul in order to trick the engine's mapping! Just a few thousand bucks, and you are in!

Plan B: If you like the awesome original slashcuts (like I do veeeeery much) or don't have the bucks, you also could drill some holes into the bottom of the catalyst and into the airbox (somewhere below the seat)!:grin2:

Werner Wernersen>:)

·
Premium Member
1,689 Posts
Engine braking, I've read on a couple of other forums members who've replaced the cat with a x pipe have lost most of the engine braking.
I'm trying to wrap my head around this. Has anyone noticed this on Bobber after replacing the cat?
I have not noticed, then again with the slipper clutch...........I'm also not going from 5th to second.

Just general down shifting to slow down rather than riding the brakes.

·
Registered
100 Posts
"If you want to impress the HD guys out there with a really loud Bobber, here we go"

I personally couldn't give two shits what a HD rider thinks, so there's that.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts