Triumph Bobber Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Check out this video comparing the Bobber with the Harley Davidson Sportster S, among others. Seems like the Bobber isn't keeping up with others, although the retro look may be the bigger draw for those of us that love our Bobbers. Personally, it just makes me feel like choosing the Bobber as my first bike wasn't such a crazy idea after all.

Comparison Video

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I know it’s hard when thinking about Harley, a firm whose whole business over the last 40years has been built on selling retro bikes, and that’s even before the term retro was fashionable. But the new Sportster S isn’t a retro bike, it’s a modern mid-size power cruiser with a water-cooled engine and a digital dash.

So I think the Bobber and the Sportster S are playing different games. If you wanted a Triumph with more performance for the same money you could of got a Speed Twin or if you really fancied a pocket-rocket a 765 Street Triple, but you knew that already and still bought a Bobber!

·
Registered
375 Posts
When comparing bikes or anything for that matter, you have to compare apples to apples. Similar displacement, similar ergonomics, and price points. I don't see anything similar in any of the bikes they put up against the Bobber. All too often just because the title may have the word bobber in it, it is immediately forced into a comparison. The Triumph is in a class by itself, as far as the phrase bobber goes. It is more closely in tune with what the term means. When they line up the bikes to compare #'s no other bike even closely resembles the Triumph. As far as performance goes, different engines produce power differently. A V-twin is different than an inline-four or a verticle twin. The power band is different.
It just drives me nuts when this type of comparison is made. There is no comparison! If you want to play moto GP on the street then get an inline-four, but I will say that race bikes and their street companions are nothing alike! I had this conversation with someone at one time always poking at the HD's. Talking how they don't handle high-speed cornering, urm that's not what they were designed for! If you are a TRUE enthusiast your goal is to get in the wind, see and smell nature, go at your own pace. I get it, some just want the bragging rights, but some of us just like to ride!

·
Registered
103 Posts
I bought my Bobber in 2017 when it first came out......certainly it wasn't then, and isn't now, a class leader in hp, torque, and handling, and maybe even design . The parallel twin is ok.....I prefer a v-twin for its distinctive feel and sound...... and I'm disappointed with the protruding seam at the bottom of the fuel tank...... but I knew all of that when i bought the bike...

To me the Bobber speaks to the essence of motorcycle riding...... simple design, wind-in-the-face, no gimmicks, laced wheels, chain drive, solo seat, a real-world riding position..... and an English-branded bike......I like the small capacity tank, single disc brakes, I like the brushed bars..... I like that it says "Triumph"......

I like the Harley motors.... they pull, they sound-off, ....... but, for me, the bikes look too bulbous and the body-work design seems forced...... add to that the fashion-cult that seems to infect people that buy a harley....well that just doesn't work for me...... but that's ok...... I don't find fault with Harley owners.

My previous bike was a yamaha Warrior...... that bike was fast.....It had open pipes, drag bars, and could stop as well as it could go.......yet it had cheap plastic parts and design details that left me flat....so i sold it......

I'm retired....... I can have any bike I want........ but for me-----except for the Bobber I'd probably not have a motorcycle......

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
What surprised me and stood out in the comparison vid is how heavy the Bobber is. It weighs about 70 lb more than my Tiger 800. I find moving the Bobber much easier than the Tiger. It must be the weight distribution.
I do like the Sportster S and am waiting to see it in person.

Chico

·
Registered
349 Posts
Had a brief look at one today. Can't say I'm impressed (by the looks).
That rad filler cap sitting proud put me off ... more so than the scrambleresque cannons, girder-like swing-arm ... and as for trying to smuggle a couple of R2D2s by passing them off as cylinder heads ... I dunno, that's just weird! As is the tail bracket / light / plate holder and square headlight. The Sporties never had much of a draw for me and this one is just a little too far off the charts. I'd take one out for a burn though, given the chance. :sneaky:
Somebody's bound to like it though, and that's why there's choices
I'll take the bobber any day, every day.

·
Premium Member
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I couldn't agree more, Donner. I'm not a fan of the looks of the bike at all, for the same reason I'm not a fan of the Indian Scout bobber. The motor looks fake and the pipes look ridiculous to me. I love the TFT display, and I'd love a full-color display on my FJR1300, but not on my Bobber. Like you said, that's why there's choices. To each their own.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Donner and ysoslo, You seem to have a typical non HD owner bias against American motorcycles. Having owned a 2000 Fatboy since new I feel that unless you've had and owned one of these "relics" you can't appreciate them. There is something about riding an HD that I can't describe but it's thrilling. If I'd have this conversation on an HD forum I'd get similar comments about Brit or Japanese bikes. It's human nature to think that what you have is somehow better than someone else's. I'm very flexible about my taste in bikes, eclectic is my passion.
Here is my HD baby:

Chico

·
Registered
496 Posts
Donner and ysoslo, You seem to have a typical non HD owner bias against American motorcycles. Having owned a 2000 Fatboy since new I feel that unless you've had and owned one of these "relics" you can't appreciate them. There is something about riding an HD that I can't describe but it's thrilling. If I'd have this conversation on an HD forum I'd get similar comments about Brit or Japanese bikes. It's human nature to think that what you have is somehow better than someone else's. I'm very flexible about my taste in bikes, eclectic is my passion.
Here is my HD baby:

Chico
Nice bike! There’s nothing like the Harley sound!

·
Registered
349 Posts
Here is my HD baby:

Chico
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle

1 - 20 of 40 Posts