Triumph Bobber Forum banner

Is it bad to use the Engine Cut-Off Switch?

11K views 22 replies 12 participants last post by  ysoslo 
#1 ·
I know the manual states to use the key ignition to turn off the bike, and the cut-off switch is only to be used for emergencies. Does it have to do something with the Bobber's electronics in that using the cut-off switch will damage something? I know a lot of people including me, were always taught (from MSF courses) to always use the cut-off switch first, and then the key. (However when I took the MSF course it was like 20 years ago, so don't know if they've changed anything - but that was what they taught). I do like keeping both hands on the bars when turning the bike off. Plus if you're on any kind of incline, I would definitely like to keep my right hand on the brake (trying to reach down to the key location doesn't bode well for those types of situations). Does anybody use the cut-off switch? Or if that is bad, would using the kick stand (which cuts off the engine when down) be a better option? Thanks for your input!

#2 ·
I asked this when picking up my Bobber at the weekend. I was told it was bad thing given the electics - very bad. It was explained in more detail but to be honest all I wanted to do was get on it and ride away so can't say I was listening. And even if I was listening I'm not,too sure I'd have understood!

#3 ·
Yeah, I'm pretty sure with the complex electrical system of the Bobber (and I'm sure other Triumphs as well) that the Cut-off switch may disrupt some kind of power down sequence or something. All high-tech stuff that I don't understand. I'll use the key ignition and follow what the manual recommends since I'd rather be safe than sorry.

#5 ·
I was told the emergency switch is discouraged because of electronics on the bike. Particularly if you were to turn off the bake off using the kill, and then forget to turn off the key. supposedly, this will drain the battery if left that way, and cause major computer damages.When I park, even on an incline, I have got used to switching to neutral, holding my front brake with my right hand, using my left hand to reach across and turn off the key, then sifting into first gear. It felt weird the first 20 of 30 times, but now it's natural, and I don't even think about it.

#7 ·
MSF course teaches to use "engine shut off switch"....also tell you it's not called a "kill switch"...then use the key.

I'm to fat to reach across with my left and and get the key on the Bobber....

Using the kick stand to shut the motor of seems identical to using the "emergency/engine shut off/kill switch and would allow to leave in gear with hands on the bars/break.

#8 ·
I agree. Look at the insert from the manual below. If you read carefully they are not stating not to kill the engine by using the switch. They are basically saying you should use the key to turn off the electrical system if you use the switch as to not damage the system or drain the battery. Basically, shut down the engine with the switch and remove the key.

From the manual;
Note: • Although the engine stop switch stops the engine, it does not turn off all the electrical circuits and may cause difficulty in restarting the engine due to a discharged battery. Ordinarily, only the ignition switch should be used to stop the engine.

Caution Do not leave the ignition switch in the ON position unless the engine is running as this may cause damage to electrical components and will discharge the battery.

#11 ·
The point of all motorcycle safety training in telling operators to use the engine shut off switch is simple. Uniform reactions. If every time you want to turn off the engine, especially in an emergency, you use the switch you will do this automatically. No one ever said to not follow that up with the key. The same action will happen with the kickstand switch if it is in gear. It does not hurt anything unless you leave the key on.

#15 ·
I just did a search on the interwebs on the topic, seems like there are loads of views from kickstand users, engine shutoff switch and using the key. things like "I have been riding for XX years and have always used the engine shut off switch" to "never use the switch as it can cause electrical issue...." Did a search for that, and couldn't find any specifics on the electrical issues others than it wearing down the switch then requiring a rebuild.....other counter that and say you should use it to make sure it works in case you actually need it...

tomAto...tomato...

#18 ·
This is purely a myth without any basis whatsoever. It does not matter whether the kill switch, ignition switch, or kickstand interlock is activated, it is all the same circuit and no electrical damage occurs. The so called kill switch is the safest habit to get into to turn off the motorcycle and in fact some bikes like Harleys that is the inly way to turn off some bikes.

#19 ·
I use it all of the time when I get fuel, I only use the kill switch. My ignition stays energized. Often for several minutes....

I haveUsed the kill switch at night and kept the bike energized to use the light to see. Again...often for several minutes.

i almost always kill the motor with the kill switch and then remove the key. I have done this for 3 years. I have no issues and actually still have the stock battery.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.