Triumph Bobber Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My iPhone X's camera gradually stopped focusing well, and now returns pics and videos that are either blurry or has these weird wavy lines. An initial internet search didn't seem to indicate that it was a widespread problem, so I chalked it up to bad luck and relegated myself to being patient until my next upgrade. That is until I started to dig a little deeper and discovered that it's a common thing with motorcycle mounted smart phones, and specifically with the Quad Lock. It seems that the constant vibration throws the phones' image stabilization modules out of whack and essentially ruins the cameras. Quad Lock received enough complaints that it now offers a vibration dampener, which I just purchased, but I'm unsure whether it actually works and I'm not willing to risk testing on my next phone.

If your phone cameras no longer focus, this is the reason. If they are fine, consider this a public service warning!

Nick

·
Registered
2017 Bobber & 2021 Street Triple R
303 Posts
I purchased the quadlock vibration dampener for that exact reason. No issues with my phone camera since.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I purchased the quadlock vibration dampener for that exact reason. No issues with my phone camera since.
You mean the issue self corrected? Good for you man. Mine was intermittent and took a while to stick but I think I'm at the point of no return now.

·
Registered
2017 Bobber & 2021 Street Triple R
303 Posts
You mean the issue self corrected? Good for you man. Mine was intermittent and took a while to stick but I think I'm at the point of no return now.
No. My apologies for not being more specific. I had this issue with an older phone. when I upgraded to the iPhone 12, I installed the vibration dampener and I havent had any issues with the new phone at all.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No. My apologies for not being more specific. I had this issue with an older phone. when I upgraded to the iPhone 12, I installed the vibration dampener and I havent had any issues with the new phone at all.
Music to my ears. Appreciate the data point @RO73.

·
Registered
515 Posts
I’ve been using the standard quad lock with the iPhone 12 Pro Max since around December and so far no issues. So I’m wondering if it’s an issue with the older phones perhaps?

·
Premium Member
1,820 Posts
I've put on nearly 14,000 miles with my iPhoneX mounted on my Rokform mount with no issues, but it's a different design than the Quadlock. Perhaps the more vertical position has helped keep it from having issues.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
My iPhone XS seems to be fine after about 6K miles with the Quadlock. But, I guess I’ll get the dampener just in case. Thanks for the heads-up and reminder.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Holy crap! You’re my hero! This happened to me. Apple replaced the camera unit. Now it’s happening again! Using a Ram mount.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Lot's of the same on the HD forums about modern smartphone cameras being destroyed by the vibration in bikes (whether form the engine or from road surface), the quad lock dampener goes a long way to reducing the level of issues folks have but does not always eliminate them.

6 year old tomtom rider still going strong :)

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
My iPhone X's camera gradually stopped focusing well, and now returns pics and videos that are either blurry or has these weird wavy lines. An initial internet search didn't seem to indicate that it was a widespread problem, so I chalked it up to bad luck and relegated myself to being patient until my next upgrade. That is until I started to dig a little deeper and discovered that it's a common thing with motorcycle mounted smart phones, and specifically with the Quad Lock. It seems that the constant vibration throws the phones' image stabilization modules out of whack and essentially ruins the cameras. Quad Lock received enough complaints that it now offers a vibration dampener, which I just purchased, but I'm unsure whether it actually works and I'm not willing to risk testing on my next phone.

If your phone cameras no longer focus, this is the reason. If they are fine, consider this a public service warning!

Nick
My camera was ruined on my iPhone 11 Pro. (Luckily I had purchased an extra warranty and I got it fixed.) iPhone just issued a statement a few days ago about vibrations - Exposure to vibrations, like those generated by high-powered motorcycle engines, might impact iPhone cameras. I no longer use my phone for a GPS. I have switched to Beeline.

·
Super Moderator
970 Posts
Good old Apple... spend a fortune on a phone that is fragile... A mate of mine has just dropped his iPhone and the screen bust (and you see a lot with cracked/broken screens). I dropped my Android from 3ft two days ago and it was fine...

·
Registered
515 Posts
I’ve never had an issue with my iPhone mounted on a quad lock without a vibration damper. I have a QD on both Bobber and mountain bike and so it’s gone over a few bumpy roads in the past few years. I wonder if where it’s mounted and the angle that is a contributing factor. Hmm.

Saying that, I just got hold of a new QD mount for the bobber that puts it center of the bars. It also has a vibration damper built in. Once I test it I’ll report back.

·
Registered
43 Posts
One ride, be at a long one, and my camera wouldn't focus again. Added a small self adhesive magnet to the top right (screen side of the camera). That stabilized it, and it works just fine. Ridden with it about 6000 miles since.

·
Registered
2018 Bobber Black
212 Posts
I run an iPhone SE and haven't had any problems yet, but your warning may make me keep the phone in my pocket and only pull it out if I'm beyond the point of no return! 🤘

·
Registered
515 Posts
Been testing this for a couple of days now and I'm really digging it. It's solid and it's nicer having my phone centered rather than off to the side. It's a simple design that bolts to your handlebar clamp and takes 2 mins to install. The kit comes with a Quad Lock dampener, top mount (I switched out the blue one for my own black one) and the black bracket that all that mounts to that fits over your Triumph clamp.

Motor vehicle Bicycle part Rim Gauge Automotive design
Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire Bicycle part Automotive design
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive lighting Vehicle
Light Motor vehicle Automotive design Audio equipment Bicycle part
Hood Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive mirror

Full disclaimer: This is a unit the company sent me for free to test, but I was looking at getting a dampener anyway after reading this thread when the company reached out to me. I don't think their website is up and running yet, but their email is here if interested: Login • Instagram. Tell them I sent you :)

·
Registered
2018 Bobber
11 Posts
Been testing this for a couple of days now and I'm really digging it. It's solid and it's nicer having my phone centered rather than off to the side. It's a simple design that bolts to your handlebar clamp and takes 2 mins to install. The kit comes with a Quad Lock dampener, top mount (I switched out the blue one for my own black one) and the black bracket that all that mounts to that fits over your Triumph clamp.

Full disclaimer: This is a unit the company sent me for free to test, but I was looking at getting a dampener anyway after reading this thread when the company reached out to me. I don't think their website is up and running yet, but their email is here if interested: Login • Instagram. Tell them I sent you :)
Alan,

Thanks for the mention! We are glad to see that you are enjoying our products!

If anyone would like more details or have any questions, please check us out below.

www.imageconceptz.com

Thanks,
Greg

1 - 20 of 20 Posts