Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My iPhone X's camera gradually stopped focusing well, and now returns pics and videos that are either blurry or has these weird wavy lines. An initial internet search didn't seem to indicate that it was a widespread problem, so I chalked it up to bad luck and relegated myself to being patient until my next upgrade. That is until I started to dig a little deeper and discovered that it's a common thing with motorcycle mounted smart phones, and specifically with the Quad Lock. It seems that the constant vibration throws the phones' image stabilization modules out of whack and essentially ruins the cameras. Quad Lock received enough complaints that it now offers a vibration dampener, which I just purchased, but I'm unsure whether it actually works and I'm not willing to risk testing on my next phone.

If your phone cameras no longer focus, this is the reason. If they are fine, consider this a public service warning!

Nick

·
Registered
214 Posts
I purchased the quadlock vibration dampener for that exact reason. No issues with my phone camera since.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I purchased the quadlock vibration dampener for that exact reason. No issues with my phone camera since.
You mean the issue self corrected? Good for you man. Mine was intermittent and took a while to stick but I think I'm at the point of no return now.

·
Registered
214 Posts
You mean the issue self corrected? Good for you man. Mine was intermittent and took a while to stick but I think I'm at the point of no return now.
No. My apologies for not being more specific. I had this issue with an older phone. when I upgraded to the iPhone 12, I installed the vibration dampener and I havent had any issues with the new phone at all.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No. My apologies for not being more specific. I had this issue with an older phone. when I upgraded to the iPhone 12, I installed the vibration dampener and I havent had any issues with the new phone at all.
Music to my ears. Appreciate the data point @RO73.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I’ve been using the standard quad lock with the iPhone 12 Pro Max since around December and so far no issues. So I’m wondering if it’s an issue with the older phones perhaps?

·
Premium Member
1,806 Posts
I've put on nearly 14,000 miles with my iPhoneX mounted on my Rokform mount with no issues, but it's a different design than the Quadlock. Perhaps the more vertical position has helped keep it from having issues.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
My iPhone XS seems to be fine after about 6K miles with the Quadlock. But, I guess I’ll get the dampener just in case. Thanks for the heads-up and reminder.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Holy crap! You’re my hero! This happened to me. Apple replaced the camera unit. Now it’s happening again! Using a Ram mount.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Lot's of the same on the HD forums about modern smartphone cameras being destroyed by the vibration in bikes (whether form the engine or from road surface), the quad lock dampener goes a long way to reducing the level of issues folks have but does not always eliminate them.

6 year old tomtom rider still going strong :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts