Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
707 Posts
As per the title... does fitting one invalidate the warrenty?
Would fitting a non-Triumph approved slip-on exhaust invalidate the warranty or what about an aftermarket shock or seat?

I doubt it...that's not normally the way the motorcycle industry works.

But I think it would all depend on what your warranty claim was and whether that new part/parts was a contributing factor to the bike failing.

So the short answer is it shouldn't :nerd:

·
Premium Member
522 Posts
My experience of warranty is that if the claim has nothing to do with what’s been changed then there shouldn’t be a problem...

For example a warranty claim for paint bubbling on the rear mudgaurd shouldn’t be affected by fitting an X pipe..

But if you’ve fitted a rack and drilled the mudgaurd I’d expect no joy with a claim...

If you fit an aftermarket seat or set of handlebars and the engine blows up, a warranty claim should not be unaffected...

·
Registered
171 Posts
Not in the US due to federal law except for Harley. The EPA entered into a settlement agreement with HD that required them to void warranties if the exhaust or emissions systems were altered with unapproved mods.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Not in the US due to federal law except for Harley. The EPA entered into a settlement agreement with HD that required them to void warranties if the exhaust or emissions systems were altered with unapproved mods.
Really? What a steaming crock of sh!t that is.

-GPz

·
Registered
602 Posts
If your engine goes bang, simply replace the cat then have it trailered to the dealer :)

·
Registered
171 Posts
HD

Really? What a steaming crock of sh!t that is.

-GPz
Not only the emissions warranty but the entire warranty is voided. Obama's EPA at work. Motorcycles have an infinitesimal effect on air quality. Lawn mowers are a significant one and no regs.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So the official word from the dealership... who I might add called Triumph to check...

By removing the catalytic converter the bikes fueling will be altered and as such will no longer be Euro 4 compliant. As a consequence any engine related issues will not be covered by the warranty. However, any non engine related issues will still be covered by the warranty.

So there you have it folks... we may not like it but it does in fact screw the warranty.

As mentioned though... should an engine issue occur it would be a simple case of replacing the cat before taking it to the stealership!

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So the official word from the dealership... who I might add called Triumph to check because they didn’t know...

By removing the catalytic converter the bikes fueling will be altered and as such will no longer be Euro 4 compliant. As a consequence any engine related issues will not be covered by the warranty. However, any non engine related issues will still be covered by the warranty.

So there you have it folks... we may not like it but it does in fact screw the warranty.

As mentioned though... should an engine issue occur it would be a simple case of replacing the cat before taking it to the stealership!

·
Registered
80 Posts
So the official word from the dealership... who I might add called Triumph to check...

lol... it was Triumph Ashford that told me not to bother with the Vance & Hines pipes and fit an X pipe. Glad I did neither now. I think I’ll wait for the warranty to run out (except I got it extended).

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
lol... it was Triumph Ashford that told me not to bother with the Vance & Hines pipes and fit an X pipe. Glad I did neither now. I think I’ll wait for the warranty to run out (except I got it extended).
Can you extend the warranty at any point up until the standard warranty expires do you know?

·
Registered
505 Posts
To my knowledge the extended warranty is not an extension of the factory warranty. It is just a 3rd party extended warranty (insurance plan). They will sell you one whenever you are ready.

·
Super Moderator
1,065 Posts
So the official word from the dealership... who I might add called Triumph to check because they didn’t know...

I don't think that is unreasonable (and the same in spades for air box delete). You're making pretty profound changes. Also, it may not be as simple as bunging things back on, as the ECU will have remembered having to learn a new tune. Farkler beware!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Can you extend the warranty at any point up until the standard warranty expires do you know?
I’m not sure to be honest, but it is probably a 3rd party warranty insurance like what has been suggested by others on here. Reading around, we’re all walking a thin line with regards to our warranty with the booster plugs that most of us have fitted. But it’s nothing a crisp money note wouldn’t sort out, in the mit of the mechanic at the main dealer. After all, the warranty cost wouldn’t come out of their sky rocket.

·
Registered
712 Posts
A couple comments, plus a conclusion...

1) I believe the owner of my dealership would do his best to help me if he honestly believed my modifications did not contribute to whatever warranty claim I was trying to make, even if that meant not fully disclosing everything to Triumph. I'm certainly not counting on it though.

2) I generally assume that any warranty that I didn't pay extra for is going to be virtually useless to me (i.e. worth exactly what I paid for it). Thus far, that has proven true in 95% of all cases involving products that cost over $100. An interesting exception was a Bosch dishwasher, which was their top-of-the-line and most highly rated model. It died very young, nobody in the Milky Way galaxy could fix it, and their own veteran factory-authorized technician described it as "possessed by the devil." Bosch replaced it with a new one "for free", because, as everyone knows, Bosch is God's gift to dishwashers, and humanity, and always, always, always stands behind their glorious product. "Free" ended up including more than $400 in service calls that did not work and were not covered under warranty. It also required going more than six months without a functioning dishwasher, plus some threats of legal and/or consumer advocacy action, before Bosch finally, begrudgingly replaced it. When you add-in the value of my time and my wife's in dealing with the whole warranty farce, my "free" replacement dishwasher cost me at least 2 grand (twice what the original one cost). So I stand corrected -- warranties I didn't pay extra for on products costing more than $100 have been useless to me in exactly 100% of all cases (if I do all the math).

Conclusion: Life = Risk. I don't want my bike to sound like a muffled fart, so I accept the risk modifications invite.

-GPz

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
A couple comments, plus a conclusion...

1) I believe the owner of my dealership would do his best to help me if he honestly believed my modifications did not contribute to whatever warranty claim I was trying to make, even if that meant not fully disclosing everything to Triumph. I'm certainly not counting on it though.

2) I generally assume that any warranty that I didn't pay extra for is going to be virtually useless to me (i.e. worth exactly what I paid for it). Thus far, that has proven true in 95% of all cases involving products that cost over $100. An interesting exception was a Bosch dishwasher, which was their top-of-the-line and most highly rated model. It died very young, nobody in the Milky Way galaxy could fix it, and their own veteran factory-authorized technician described it as "possessed by the devil." Bosch replaced it with a new one "for free", because, as everyone knows, Bosch is God's gift to dishwashers, and humanity, and always, always, always stands behind their glorious product. "Free" ended up including more than $400 in service calls that did not work and were not covered under warranty. It also required going more than six months without a functioning dishwasher, plus some threats of legal and/or consumer advocacy action, before Bosch finally, begrudgingly replaced it. When you add-in the value of my time and my wife's in dealing with the whole warranty farce, my "free" replacement dishwasher cost me at least 2 grand (twice what the original one cost). So I stand corrected -- warranties I didn't pay extra for on products costing more than $100 have been useless to me in exactly 100% of all cases (if I do all the math).

Conclusion: Life = Risk. I don't want my bike to sound like a muffled fart, so I accept the risk modifications invite.

-GPz
So, Bosch does it again. Not sure if it applied to all their models but, we had one that didn’t pop open at the end of the wash cycle. When we asked them about it, they said you have to do that manually. So, let me understand this. You have to be there when the cycle finishes or the dishes sit in the washer, moisture builds up and ultimately mold happens. We checked this with a factory authorized, very competent mechanic and he said, yes, that’s what happens. Bonkers! We now have a Miele.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Putting the cat back on if you experience engine issues seems like a wise suggestion but many people, including myself, have our bikes serviced at the dealer so the dealers probably have a record of cat removal. At least the missing cat is not visually obvious, but many other performance modifications are quite apparent and could also impact warranty.

...all additional reasons I choose to simply "own it."

-GPz

·
Registered
137 Posts
Not only the emissions warranty but the entire warranty is voided. Obama's EPA at work. Motorcycles have an infinitesimal effect on air quality. Lawn mowers are a significant one and no regs.
You should see my lawn mower. I bet I can get 30mph on that thing. The big bore kit was a PITA and installing glowplugs for the diesel conversion makes the seat about 8" higher than it was stock. When the grass gets really tall and I mow, I'm worried that the fire department is going to show up from the black diesel cloud. 'Merica!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts