Triumph Bobber Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So it was really cold this morning and I was in a hurry ...

Whoops! Turns out you should PUSH the little nubbins from the inside, rather than PULL and YANK the side covers like a complete moron.

Oh well, the best lessons are those hardest learned ... a little ABS cement and I should be back in business.

What a dummy, though!

Automotive exterior Automotive design Composite material Font Personal protective equipment

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll be sure to do that as well, thanks.

I just put the stock side panels back on for now. They look like **** compared to the Motone parts ...

Also I just noticed my stock side panels came broken from the factory! (the top parts are mostly broken off on one side).

I had the same kind of panels on 3 different Yamaha XS650s and I managed to break every one of those too. You'd think I'd have learned by now ...

·
Registered
115 Posts
Well, think of me as a significantly worse idiot. After having purchased my new Bobber less than a year ago, in short order I broke BOTH the tabs (one on each side of the bike) on the bottom portion of the airbox which the nubbins slide/snap into. I had watched one or more videos that indicated all one had to do to reinstall the side covers was to give the bottom of it a firm whack with the hand. Definitely the wrong thing to do, and the fabricated molded design of the tabs is such a weak point, that one should always be very carefully to insure that the nub is aligned exactly where it needs to be, before pressing on the cover to seat it properly. I went to using silicon grease after that mishap as well.

I suspect that this happens much more frequently than reported here in the forum. . . . perhaps why so many guys ditch the airboxes and go with the exposed air intake filters.

After installing new airbox housings, which was a major PITA to perform, I actually reinforced both tabs with some extremely strong two-part industrial epoxy in the hopes that I will never break one of those tabs again.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Acetone is a solvent for ABS and makes a much stronger bond than glue of any sort. Basically the acetone melts the ABS parts together.

Sometimes you get a crack or uneven surface. In that case you just make a slurry with some ABS shavings dissolved in Acetone, and apply where needed.

This was a perfect situation as the break was very clean with lots of surface area for adhesion. No slurry necessary.

Anyway, the Motone side covers are back on and I couldn't be happier.

This time I lubed the bushings with some silicone grease first. They fit super easy and smooth now ... very little pressure needed to install and remove.

Bumper Carbon Automotive exterior Grille Electric blue

Luggage and bags Sleeve Bag Travel Font

Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Tire Tread

Bumper Composite material Mouse Electric blue Auto part

Always lube your hole boys!
Camera lens Reflex camera Camera Finger Digital camera

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle

Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Wheel Tire Fuel tank Vehicle Motor vehicle

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
You’re not the first and you won’t be the last.
You don’t need lube there’s a knack - Pull the panels out from the bottom edge imagining they’re hinged at the top and they should come off without a fight. The mistake most people make is trying pull them straight out, which is really tough as you’re fighting three pegs and two locating lips that hold the panels in place at the top. Of course this is in the manual but who reads the manual???

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Of course this is in the manual but who reads the manual???
Believe it or not, I read the manual from cover to cover after I brought the bike home from the dealer. I pulled from the bottom as instructed. They were hard to remove.

Sure, I should have taken more time and been more careful but that's not how I roll most days. As I stated, I'm an idiot! :)

With just a tiny smear of silicone grease they come on and off without any fuss. You don't even have to smack them, you just push a tiny bit at the bottom and they snug right up. WAY easier!

·
Registered
Bobber Black
284 Posts
You’re not the first and you won’t be the last.
You don’t need lube there’s a knack - Pull the panels out from the bottom edge imagining they’re hinged at the top and they should come off without a fight. The mistake most people make is trying pull them straight out, which is really tough as you’re fighting three pegs and two locating lips that hold the panels in place at the top. Of course this is in the manual but who reads the manual???
Mine always seem to pull the rubber grommet out with them - once off I have to take the grommet off the nubbin (I like that word) and re-insert it into the frame before re-fitting. No excessive effort to pull them off, they just bring the grommet every time. I'll have to try lubrication. Now where is the KY....?

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Believe it or not, I read the manual from cover to cover after I brought the bike home from the dealer. I pulled from the bottom as instructed. They were hard to remove.

Sure, I should have taken more time and been more careful but that's not how I roll most days. As I stated, I'm an idiot! :)

With just a tiny smear of silicone grease they come on and off without any fuss. You don't even have to smack them, you just push a tiny bit at the bottom and they snug right up. WAY easier!
Hey whatever works.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Great photo !

Your bike is sooo nice !
And very nice scenery as well !

What does your exhaust pipe sound like ?
Thanks! This is The Garden of the Gods, a local attraction. Check it out on Google, it's a beautiful place.

The exhaust sounds AMAZING. I have the Motone H-Bomb with dB killers. At low throttle it purrs and when you open it up it ROARS. I am absolutely in love with the sounds this bike makes!

It's nice and quiet so I can leave my neighborhood without bothering anyone, then when I get down the street I can hammer it and it comes to life. I am so happy!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts