Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What should I do first to new bike once picked up?

Not asking about mods, but protection/maintenance etc. Ethariel (apologies if I spelt wrong) raised a good post about protecting aluminium engine cases. What tips/products can you all recommend to try best protect and maintain bike? What tips do you have to check, tinker with? What should I be looking out for once I have put a few miles on the bike?

Thereafter, what do I need to be looking out for? I am going to purchase the Haynes Manual (reminds of being a kid in the 70's my dad and all other dads would be using to do a bit of maintenance on the car at the weekend) to read through and service and maintain myself after Triumph complete first service (want them to look at initially, then I will get my hands dirty) I am a firm believer in no mechanic will have as much pride in working on my machine than I will have (apologies if we have any mechanics here, no offence meant). Any advice offered will be gratefully received. Thanks.

·
Registered
360 Posts
If you intend doing a lot of riding in the "best of British Weather", treating your bike with ACF50 wouldn't be a bad idea.

There's a few threads here on it; and you can google search it for further advice. I intend using it myself; got the tip here from Ethariel ;-)

Cheers!
mike

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you intend doing a lot of riding in the "best of British Weather", treating your bike with ACF50 wouldn't be a bad idea.

There's a few threads here on it; and you can google search it for further advice. I intend using it myself; got the tip here from Ethariel ;-)

Cheers!
mike
Do you spray it on everything or just hot parts?

·
Registered
100 Posts
The first thing to check is every fastener on the bike to make sure they are tight.
In 200 miles check them again.
Check the oil level, "I know dealer prepped the bike", check it anyway. Check the chain tension.
Certainly check the battery connections to make sure they are tight. Classic problem, ride the bike home next morning she wont start.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Do you spray it on everything or just hot parts?
I think the idea is to use it sparingly over all the parts of the bike that are not easily accessible. They say a little goes a long way.
Definitely don't put any near the brakes or tyres; it's a pretty good lubricant, apparently.

The painted and plated parts (and also the untreated engine cases) can be treated with a good modern polish.
I use this.... (on the exhaust pipes and headers too):

https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B003XMV99S/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&language=en_GB&psc=1

I've been riding in a lot of bad weather since I bought her, (though not while the roads were salty), and nothing has oxidised yet.
Hope this helps.

Cheers!
mike

·
Registered
696 Posts
What should I do first to new bike once picked up?

Not asking about mods, but protection/maintenance etc. Ethariel (apologies if I spelt wrong) raised a good post about protecting aluminium engine cases. What tips/products can you all recommend to try best protect and maintain bike? What tips do you have to check, tinker with? What should I be looking out for once I have put a few miles on the bike?
This should help, but whatever you do don’t even think of taking it out when there’s salt on the road :wink2:

·
Registered
602 Posts
As per information from triumph, you should HAND WASH AND DRY the motorcycle if it sees inclement weather and dont bother trying to claim a warranty on corrosion as they will fob you off that you have missused the bike by riding it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts