Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed the high handle bars at the dealer and after putting some miles on it i wanted to move the bars back just a wee bit, I took off the riser clamp and found out that the bars are knurled but the clamps are machined with a dowel pin to lock them in place only one problem they only put one hole on the bars so no adjustments at all. Two things come to mind one is drill one or two more holes in the bars for more adjustment or remove the dowel pin, I'm just wondering if i did that would the knurling on the bars be enough to keep it locked in place. Any ideas?

·
Registered
286 Posts
I would go the route of drilling one or two more holes. Just seems much safer in that respect. I wouldn't want to take the chance to remove the dowel pin as it's there for a reason right?

·
Registered
8 Posts
All ape hangers I've had on bikes had a pin for stability. Do not trust just the knurling to hold the bars in place. You'd be surprised the stress on them when you're riding. Be careful drilling additional holes as well bc if they are too close and they murge they won't do any good.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Getting my apes next week so cheers for the info Louie, in my and probably a few others case it could be the difference between having or not having a sore back!

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Getting my apes next week so cheers for the info Louie, in my and probably a few others case it could be the difference between having or not having a sore back!
Also I'm looking to improve low speed handling, with leaning forward it seems just a little bit harder to maneuver

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
All ape hangers I've had on bikes had a pin for stability. Do not trust just the knurling to hold the bars in place. You'd be surprised the stress on them when you're riding. Be careful drilling additional holes as well bc if they are too close and they murge they won't do any good.
That's the one thing that keeps nagging at me, there is a lot of stress when braking, I actually wrote to Triumph with the same question and received the response of we forwarded you request and promise to get back to you! haven't heard anything back, i just wrote them again we'll see this time.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here is Triumph's response!

Dear Mr. Louie,

The dowel pin at the bottom clamp should not be removed. It's designed to protect handlebar move around the clamp. And we do not recommend drilling the handlebars as this will have a negative effect on the strength of the bars.

Best Regards,
Sungsit.s

·
Registered
16 Posts
Had my apes fitted when I picked up my bike but wanted them just a little more forward so drilled out the holes that was already in the bars which done the trick it doesn't take much to get more adjustment!!!

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Had my apes fitted when I picked up my bike but wanted them just a little more forward so drilled out the holes that was already in the bars which done the trick it doesn't take much to get more adjustment!!!
Did you make the hole bigger or longer? I'm still thinking to drill another hole next to the original.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just Went up a drill size to start with that done the trick for me
I did that yesterday and it worked perfectly I was able to get the adjustment i wanted very comfortable for me now!

·
Registered
23 Posts
My last to Harley's had Apes, No dowel pin....
Try it with out the pin and see how it works, You really don't put that much pressure on the bars....

·
Registered
370 Posts
Anyone know how much leeway you have with the stock wires leading up to the bars? I’m looking to possible install these but would prefer not to have to run new cabling.

I like the stock bars but just wish they were only like an inch or two higher

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
261 Posts

These btw

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don't think you'll be able to do it. The wiring is pretty much set up for the stock bars. With those bars you look like your adding a few inches at least. You can try it and be creative with how you run the wires, but may put to much stress on them. Could be dangerous.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I installed the high handle bars at the dealer and after putting some miles on it i wanted to move the bars back just a wee bit, I took off the riser clamp and found out that the bars are knurled but the clamps are machined with a dowel pin to lock them in place only one problem they only put one hole on the bars so no adjustments at all. Two things come to mind one is drill one or two more holes in the bars for more adjustment or remove the dowel pin, I'm just wondering if i did that would the knurling on the bars be enough to keep it locked in place. Any ideas?
Definitely would not remove pin. The OEM risers don't have a pin. If anything try to use those and see how they tighten up, but they give you new risers with a pin for a reason.

Also anytime you alter or drill out the bars your altering them and taking away their integrity. Now filling out the hole a little bigger probably won't hurt anything, but adding holes will. For the amount of movement your looking for sounds like you would be drilling another hole very close to the one that's already there.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts