Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys.
Just took home an 18 bobber black today from Thousand Oaks Powersports. Rode it through he aftermath of the Woolsey fire on the way home.

This is my 12th bike. Used to race 911 and R6, but gave up racing after shattering both femurs at the track. This is my first non sport bike.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,570 Posts
Welcome to the site! Sounds like you're thinking about slowing down a bit, and the Bobber might be a great transition bike for that. With a rear shock made for your weight, progressive springs in the front forks and a comfortable seat it'll be smooth and quick, yet it's also a great day-tripper (or longer, if your butt can handle it).

Have you added any accessories yet? Any changes planned?

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Definitely slowing down a bit, but also more comfort for some longer rides.

I plan on choosing an exhaust right away, and then after having it for awhile, figure out suspension.

Going to inquire with British customs to see if the turn outs and x pipe are over doing it. My last bike was a Ducati monster with full termignoni system, and I still felt like I could handle a bit more noise to be heard in LA traffic.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Welcome. Sounds like you’ve made a good choice to make the transition from sport bikes. Sorry to hear about having to make that ride through the remnants of the fires. It all sounds and looks pretty bad. I have some very close friends who almost lost their house but, in the end they were fortunate and the winds calmed a bit and the firefighters got it mostly under control. Anyway, safe rides.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Already made my first purchase of the Brittsh Customs straight pipes. After answering all of my questions, their customer service and knowledge is top notch. Suspension is next.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I’m still researching the suspension. I’ve always liked Öhlins on other bikes, but seems like people here like the fox rear shock. I’m about 210, so I could use something a bit better than the stock one.
Forks will come later on.

I had to have them ship it to a friends house on the east coast and then having it shipped back. If it’s not loud enough, I’ll consider the x pipe, but they did not recommend it.

·
Premium Member
1,570 Posts
I’m still researching the suspension. I’ve always liked Öhlins on other bikes, but seems like people here like the fox rear shock. I’m about 210, so I could use something a bit better than the stock one.
Forks will come later on.

I had to have them ship it to a friends house on the east coast and then having it shipped back. If it’s not loud enough, I’ll consider the x pipe, but they did not recommend it.
There are a few that are happy with the Fox shock for around $750, but there are many more that have gone with one of the several less-expensive options. Matris (Italian) sells one for around $500, Wilbers (German) sells their 640 for under $700 (you just missed their sale in October) and a few have the Hagon (UK) for under $400. Many of the non-Fox choices have more adjustability and are assembled for your specific weight, which can make a huge difference.

·
Super Moderator
3,352 Posts
If I had to do it all over again, I would opt for the properly set up Wilbers over the Fox shock.
I’m also running Ohlins front and rate them highly. Again, I would choose them over the Matris front fork setup I had before.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts