Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Not that I know of.

It's illegal to carry a knife, anyway, and has been for a long time. Perhaps he's planning a crackdown due to the high number of knife crime incidents this year.

But your steaks are safe as most restaurants I've been to tend to provide knives.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
All the joke around here today is the mayor trying confiscate your knives now. What’s going on with that? Truth to that or #fakenews ?
I think the law states you can carry a knife in the U.K. but the blade can’t exceed 3-1/2 inches, (check that length?!) and it can’t be a locking knife.

The issue is the extreme lefties have pushed and managed to make it illegal for the police to stop and search without probable cause. So we have a country full of little thugs who know they can’t be stopped so more of them are carrying knives and guns than ever before!

·
Registered
370 Posts
Not to mention all the refugees and such. I hear it’s getting pretty bad over in Europe but they won’t show it here in the States.

They’re slowing trying to pick away at us though as well.

2017 Triumph Bobber NYC

·
Registered
604 Posts
Back when I was little they clamped down on knife crime, they seem to do it every 10 years or so, the only problem now is there are so few police left that they really can't make much of an impact on the knife carrying/acid carrying gang culture that has developed over the past 10 years in the capital.

Police numbers are so far down, it's going to take a decade to get them back up even if the cash was available.

This degradation of personal defense all started back in 1969 with the Statute Law (Repeals) Act 1969, c. 52 (repealing laws dating back to 1297) which removed the old 'Thou shalt practice with the long and short bow and arrow on the village green every sabbath and holiday for all men under 60' followed by the banning of semi auto rifles then cartridge firing handguns, just waiting for the banning of personal transport in case someone uses a car to kill people on purpose....... oh wait that happened so private vehicle ownership's days are numbered now!

Reactions: getor

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Ethariel, you forgot to mention razor blades. They are popular with the subway/underground gangs.

Chico

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The lunacy... If this experiment is not a testament to the fact that criminals will always find a way to be criminals and always have weapons, then I don’t know what is. Outlawing a society’s means of defense is not a solution to offensive criminals. I am glad I live in Texas.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
The lunacy... If this experiment is not a testament to the fact that criminals will always find a way to be criminals and always have weapons, then I don’t know what is. Outlawing a society’s means of defense is not a solution to offensive criminals. I am glad I live in Texas.
There’s a very thin line between people’s humans rights and going too soft. Sadly in the U.K. the far left have got their way and the criminals are revelling in the outcome. I remember being stopped and searched a reasonable amount whilst growing up... it never bothered me because I never had anything to hide and because I spoke to the law like a decent person I was on my way within no time. Idiot wanna be gangsters of today love the negative attention and make a meal of being stopped, (under probable cause) I guess their lives are so pathetically empty that it gives them something to talk about.

Having said all of that we by no means have the same level of issues compared to the death rates in the U.S. The gun situation out there also needs serious review in my humble opinion but then it seems we all have our issues sadly!

·
Super Moderator
1,681 Posts
There’s a very thin line between people’s humans rights and going too soft. Sadly in the U.K. the far left have got their way and the criminals are revelling in the outcome. I remember being stopped and searched a reasonable amount whilst growing up... it never bothered me because I never had anything to hide and because I spoke to the law like a decent person I was on my way within no time. Idiot wanna be gangsters of today love the negative attention and make a meal of being stopped, (under probable cause) I guess their lives are so pathetically empty that it gives them something to talk about.

Having said all of that we by no means have the same level of issues compared to the death rates in the U.S. The gun situation out there also needs serious review in my humble opinion but then it seems we all have our issues sadly!
While I don't disagree that more needs to be done here in the US about gun control, I'm not sure what actions would provide tangible results. In the UK, guns were taken away...now down to the pocket knives...That would be a path the US would not want to go down.

While all the items that have happened over the last few years are extremely unfortunate, and I do believe there needs to be some changes, I will not lose sight of the reason why we are allowed to own them, of which I completely agree and support.

Also, don't lose sight that there are far less deaths here than say in the middle east or other countries. They don't have gun rights, but apparently they can make bombs and still get guns. And the vans driving into crowds...It's all over the place. 9/11 killed way more innocent lives in one foul deed than what we have been experiencing with guns. I'm not trying to downplay it, but point out other facts.

Lastly, I grew up in England, was the best time if my life. That said, I have had knives pulled on me several times around the town I lived. Fortunately, nothing ever happened to me. Even saw a kid get stabbed in the neck with a byro pen down in South Banks. In the US, I have never had a knife or firearm pulled out on me. Of course, I am also not visiting rough neighborhoods in Chicago..but where I was to get a knives pulled out in Banbury and Bodicote were safe places to.

We do need better gun control whether it's longer waiting periods, changing the age of being able to purchase them, etc. I am even for getting rid of things like bump stocks and the like. And yes, there is only 1 reason to have a magazine that can store 50 rounds in it....

I'd like to think that if we were ever invaded though, the invaders wouldn't get past the Rockies on the west, and the Appalachians on the east!

·
Registered
675 Posts
While I don't disagree that more needs to be done here in the US about gun control, I'm not sure what actions would provide tangible results. In the UK, guns were taken away...
...not true, only semi-auto pistols and revolvers. Now we have long barrelled revolvers, i.e.a revolver with a coat hanger on the butt. We still have rifles.

When some guns were taken away, we had bumper stickers that read "now only criminals have guns".

·
Super Moderator
1,681 Posts
...not true, only semi-auto pistols and revolvers. Now we have long barrelled revolvers, i.e.a revolver with a coat hanger on the butt. We still have rifles.

When some guns were taken away, we had bumper stickers that read "now only criminals have guns".
Right on.

When I was there, even long guns were hard to get as you had to have a very valid reason to have one (so I was told). Anyone that I knew that had one were farmers or agricultural engineers, and the reason was to keep animals from eating their crops and killing their lambs.

From what I recall, the administration (not sure what what they are called there) could come in and inspect how you stored your firearm as it was required by law to be stored a certain way.

Are regular folks now allowed to buy long guns simply because they want one? (IE - no business or professional need)

·
Registered
675 Posts
Right on.

When I was there, even long guns were hard to get as you had to have a very valid reason to have one (so I was told). Anyone that I knew that had one were farmers or agricultural engineers, and the reason was to keep animals from eating their crops and killing their lambs.

From what I recall, the administration (not sure what what they are called there) could come in and inspect how you stored your firearm as it was required by law to be stored a certain way.

Are regular folks now allowed to buy long guns simply because they want one? (IE - no business or professional need)
Oh it is a nightmare over here.

Excuse me I have to go jump through another hoop!

·
Registered
370 Posts
It’s really a shame what’s going on in the world all over. Now in the US some small towns are trying to have their town ban certain guns and for every day you don’t turn it in that’s a $1000 fine. Obviously it would have to be registered for them to be able to enforce this which again only hurts the law abiding gun owners.

I’ve never had an interest in owning a gun, not to mention in NYC not only are they make you jump through a million hoops they also make the process very expensive, because I generally felt safe here. But everyday they make it harder and harder for the cops to do their job.

There needs to be some reform but there’s always a way to get whatever you want just depends how bad you want it and then you have just criminals with weapons and that’s it.

2017 Triumph Bobber NYC

·
Registered
604 Posts
Right on.

It is actually your right to own a shotgun, the Police have to find a reason NOT to give you a licence for one if you can prove you have the right to shoot legally somewhere (A letter from a farmer stating that is enough) and perversely you don't even have to keep it in a safe, just 'out of sight'.

Any section 2 firearm you have to jump through hoops, belong to a club, have a big stonking safe and some forces insist on an alarm system linked to the police control room all bought and installed before applying with no guarantee they will even say yes....

Pistols can still be owned as mentioned as long as they conform to the standard of a 'carbine' rather than a pistol (can anyone say calico?) or a normal barreled revolver but using 1870's technology of handloading individual chambers.

When i surrendered all my handguns i had 3 post hand in searches by the old bill looking to see if i had kept anything behind, once at 3am! I gave up at that point and just gave my rifle collection away, I just play with airsoft toys these days instead. (and funnily enough you cant buy an airsoft RIF (Realistic Imitation Firearm) with a section 1 2 or even a section 5 firearms certificate as it does not provide the licence holder with a defense under the VCR to purchase one......

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
While I don't disagree that more needs to be done here in the US about gun control, I'm not sure what actions would provide tangible results. In the UK, guns were taken away...now down to the pocket knives...That would be a path the US would not want to go down.

While all the items that have happened over the last few years are extremely unfortunate, and I do believe there needs to be some changes, I will not lose sight of the reason why we are allowed to own them, of which I completely agree and support.

Also, don't lose sight that there are far less deaths here than say in the middle east or other countries. They don't have gun rights, but apparently they can make bombs and still get guns. And the vans driving into crowds...It's all over the place. 9/11 killed way more innocent lives in one foul deed than what we have been experiencing with guns. I'm not trying to downplay it, but point out other facts.

Lastly, I grew up in England, was the best time if my life. That said, I have had knives pulled on me several times around the town I lived. Fortunately, nothing ever happened to me. Even saw a kid get stabbed in the neck with a byro pen down in South Banks. In the US, I have never had a knife or firearm pulled out on me. Of course, I am also not visiting rough neighborhoods in Chicago..but where I was to get a knives pulled out in Banbury and Bodicote were safe places to.

We do need better gun control whether it's longer waiting periods, changing the age of being able to purchase them, etc. I am even for getting rid of things like bump stocks and the like. And yes, there is only 1 reason to have a magazine that can store 50 rounds in it....

I'd like to think that if we were ever invaded though, the invaders wouldn't get past the Rockies on the west, and the Appalachians on the east!
9/11 killed way more innocent lives in one foul deed than what we have been experiencing with guns. I'm not trying to downplay it, but point out other facts.

Not to dwell but that really isn’t a fact at all. Just shy of 3000 people were killed as a result of 9-11 compared to well over 15000 gun related deaths, (not to include suicides) during the course of 2017 in the US. Sadly more American lives are lost at the hands of fellow citizens than the terrorists could ever hope to achieve.

So your problem isn’t terrorists on home soil but avarage Joe’s with a mental health issue and easy access to fully automated firearms! :(

As for vans being used to run people over... well of course a vehicle can be used as a means to inflict harm, but then again so can a pencil. Point is they aren’t designed for that purpose and so can’t be compared to firearms for that simple reason. Otherwise we’ll be banning banana’s before we know it just in case someone slips on a discarded skin! lol ;)

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
When i surrendered all my handguns i had 3 post hand in searches by the old bill looking to see if i had kept anything behind said:
Surrendered your guns!?!? Searches!?!? That is nuts. Not happening here.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Mike Commo,

You are part of the ill informed and terribly wrong. I would like for you to show me the instances where automatic weapons and average Joe’s have caused the terrible loss of American life that you speak of.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Not to dwell but that really isn’t a fact at all. Just shy of 3000 people were killed as a result of 9-11 compared to well over 15000 gun related deaths, (not to include suicides) during the course of 2017 in the US. Sadly more American lives are lost at the hands of fellow citizens than the terrorists could ever hope to achieve.

So your problem isn’t terrorists on home soil but avarage Joe’s with a mental health issue and easy access to fully automated firearms! :(
Of the 15000 gun related deaths you refer to......60%-70% (9000 to 10,500)are gang related deaths...... I presume if there were no guns some other method would be used to accomplish their intended task.

Approx 1000 deaths per year are the result of home invasion and self defense actions...

500 to 1000 per year are police related shootings

accidental shootings and mass shootings are a small percent (stats say less than 1% each----200 to 300 total ??

The mental case mass shootings get much press and angst but are a small percent of overall deaths by firearm. In many of the cases (but not all) the authorities could have prevented these shootings if the advance signs were properly tracked and proper action taken based on information and tips that were available but not acted upon.

Non gang related crime makes up the majority of the rest.

Contrary to your comment, fully automatic firearms are not easily obtained in the US (although can be legally obtained thru federal permit process). I cannot recall a mass shooting where a full auto weapon was used (refresh my memory if I am wrong).......

Drug overdose in US in 2015 was 55,000 deaths. That number continues to climb. We already ban controlled substances......thats working really well wouldn't you say??

Another interesting stat...... the weapon most commonly used in firearm related homicide is the handgun.......rifles are the cause of less death than knives in the US (although that stat may not hold up after the Las Vegas shooting) yet people want to ban "assault rifles".....

I just don't see how anyone can conclude the problem is easy access to firearms. Does access to guns create people who want to kill? Or do people want to kill and decide on a gun.....or a bomb (Boston Marathon etc), or a van, knife, etc.....

Regards

Rich

·
Premium Member
1,653 Posts
There's no way I'm about to jump into the fray of "more people die from falling off ladders than semi-auto assault rifles" (yes, an AR-15 is simply a semi-auto civilian M16, so sit down NRA freaks [and I'm an Iraq vet, so shut-up about the 2nd Amendment being the only one that matters, while you ignore the "well regulated" part of the Amendment]).

I'm a gun owner, and a pragmatic person in general. I have no problem with semi-auto rifles. I have a problem with 30 round magazines. I'd be all for making anything that holds more than 6 rounds a federal crime to possess. If you're found with a weapon or magazine capable of holding more than 6 rounds, make it a felony with a mandatory 10 year minimum prison sentence, and mass shootings will go down. At the very least, forcing these guys to reload a lot more often will give the rest of us a chance to tackle them or take them out with a concealed carry. The US is way too polarized right now. It's the NRA's desire to allow anyone to own anything, against the opposite end of the spectrum that doesn't have a clue what they're even talking about with regard to guns, trying to ban things. There's plenty of room in the middle, but the NRA keeps brainwashing it's 4 million minions into believing it's all or nothing, despite the polling that show the vast majority of Americans (including NRA members) are totally fine with expanded background checks and closing the gun show loophole etc. Personally, I don't think anyone needs an AR-15 when there are a lot of better choices out there for hunting. If you need 30 rounds to hunt, you suck at hunting and should find a different endeavor, but they're great if you're hunting humans. My 2 cents.

·
Registered
675 Posts
So much misinformation and reporting here in the UK.

'A man has been shot' turns out to be an air gun pellet.

'People shouldn't be allowed machine guns' - we're not.

A recent BBC documentary about gun ownership in the UK showed footage of a man with a Colt ACP. Illegal for 20 years plus.

etc. etc.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts