Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, how many of you have gone to open face helmets since getting a bobber?
I have been looking but I am not sure my round face is suited to the style, I have tried a few on and some make me look like a real ball.
I do not sport a beard either so can use that as an excuse.

How is ride noise dealt with when using an open face helmet, ear plugs of course but are they noisier or not?

And finally recommendation for riding shades or goggles?:cool:

·
Registered
109 Posts
I have been looking but I am not sure my round face is suited to the style, I have tried a few on and some make me look like a real ball.

How is ride noise dealt with when using an open face helmet, ear plugs of course but are they noisier or not?

Get a beard asap, the rest is secondary........... LOL>:)

·
Super Moderator
3,352 Posts
I use a mix of open face and FF helmets. I find that i NEED earplugs when riding the Bobber, otherwise my tinnitus would reach critical levels within no time !
Out of all the riding gear i own, my favorite go-to helmet, glasses and earplugs for the Bobber are:

Helmet: https://www.davida-helmets.com/collections/davida-speedster-v3-helmet/products/93535-mono-union-jack-davida-speedsterv3-helmet

Glasses : https://www.fc-moto.de/en/John-Doe-Knoxville-Photochromic

Earplugs: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01N2JLXRR/ref=pe_385721_37986871_TE_item

·
Registered
604 Posts
Itchy stage lasts a week at most (unless you have the hair of a 14 yearold :p)

·
Registered
305 Posts

I had the round face issue a few years ago with my Davida Jet. I lost a load of weight recently though and things look much better. The Jet is an amazingly quiet helmet and I only really use ear plugs on longer trips. It also has minimal lift when going at higher speeds. I use Aviator Retro Pilot T3 goggles with it.

In saying that though, I tend to wear my Bell Bullitt full facer most of the time. The Jet is a great helmet but I find goggles and sunglasses move on my face when I'm looking over my shoulder changing lanes, etc. It can sometimes get a bit annoying having to frequently readjust the goggles/sunglasses.

I have to say that the Bullitt is the best fitting and most comfortable helmet I've ever had (I know a lot depends on head shape). With a bubble visor and its large face aperture it actually feels more "open face" than my Jet (if that makes any sense!). It's not very quiet though and ear plugs are a must.

·
Premium Member
552 Posts
Decided I neede to buy my first ever open face helmet... I tried Bell, AGV, Shark and Frank Thomas... :smile2:

And finally settled on the Shoei JO... got a great deal on a Matt black one. They have an integral visor.

Quite looking forward to giving it a go, as in my 40 years of riding, I’ve never ridden with an open face bonce protector...:nerd:

·
Premium Member
2,514 Posts
Very nice indeed.

Let us know how you get on with it.

I think I have almost exclusively worn open faces helmets, just never liked the lack of restricted vision wit full faced.

I guess I should add my new Davida Classic to this thread.

Cheerio,

Roy

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,514 Posts
Davida all day long!!!
I have to agree. Here is a newspaper cutting (front page I might add:laugh:) of me wearing a Davida around 20 years ago.

Text enlarged to make it readable...:grin2:

Cheerio,

Roy

Attachments

·
Registered
758 Posts
I have 2 helmets,
My go to is a good WCL, DOT approved beanie that I wear around town. A good set of Molded DB Blocker ear plugs, and, as I'm blind as a bat without my glasses, I have a couple good pairs of goggles, first ones are a pair of Wiley X's with high impact resistant dark tinted polarized RX safety lenses, and a 2nd set of Bobber (Pistons I think? I don't remember now) with the same impact resistant lenses but with Transitions coatings for night or when its cloudy. My second helmet is a Shoei Modular (Ref: "Blind as a bat" comment :D ) I wear when it colder out, or if I'm on the highway for any distance, or when I'm riding with my Daughter so we have comms.

I like them both, but my preference goes to the beanie. Nothing like a bee or a pine beetle in the face at 50mph to remind you your alive! XD

Attachments

·
Registered
530 Posts
Very nice indeed.

Let us know how you get on with it.

I think I have almost exclusively worn open faces helmets, just never liked the lack of restricted vision wit full faced.

I guess I should add my new Davida Classic to this thread.

Cheerio,

Roy
Very cool! I’ve been tempted by these pudding basins, but afraid they might sit too high on my head, but yours looks great. Do you have a sense of how round vs oval it is? (I have a long narrow head..)

·
Premium Member
2,514 Posts
Hi,

Mine doesn't sit high at all, in fact I'm shocked at what a really snug fit it is. I would say it's more oval than round. However in the light tomorrow I will sort out some more photos to give you a much better idea of the overall form.

The leather trip on it is normally black but I special ordered it in brown.

Cheerio,

Roy

·
Registered
530 Posts
Hi,

Mine doesn't sit high at all, in fact I'm shocked at what a really snug fit it is. I would say it's more oval than round. However in the light tomorrow I will sort out some more photos to give you a much better idea of the overall form.

The leather trip on it is normally black but I special ordered it in brown.

Cheerio,

Roy
Cheers.

1 - 20 of 90 Posts