Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! I'm not new to motorcycling but am coming back from a 20 year hiatus. I owned four sport bikes while living in Los Angeles, and cut my teeth riding (and low siding once) on the legendary twisties of the Angeles Crest Hwy up in the San Gabriel mountains. I am now older, somewhat wiser, and living in San Francisco, CA with two kids and a beautiful wife. This forum has been invaluable for Bobber experimentation and knowledge, so thank you all for your combined helpfulness and sharing. I hope to do the same. Safe and happy riding!

Nick

Attachments

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Where did that cool brown seat come from?
Thanks for the compliment. I liked the look of the statement seat but read that it was uncomfortable, so I found a retired upholsterer who works on bike seats out of his home garage. He didn't have any leather that I liked, so I asked him to school me on what to look for and then visited a local leather hide shop. The color is more intense than I prefer but it should fade and patina into what I have in mind over time. I was going to have him diamond quilt but it's such a beautiful piece of leather that I decided to leave it alone and let it shine. I have a few ideas in mind for the leftovers.

Leather with enough for two more seats - $60
Labor - $160
Personal satisfaction - Priceless

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Love that seat! I agree, it will weather and soften in tone in time. Something to look forward to.

·
Super Moderator
3,352 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
Seat and bike look great.
Personally, I don’t think the leather looks too intense in color. I think it sets off the Bobber Black and stands out really nicely.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Thanks for the compliment. I liked the look of the statement seat but read that it was uncomfortable, so I found a retired upholsterer who works on bike seats out of his home garage. He didn't have any leather that I liked, so I asked him to school me on what to look for and then visited a local leather hide shop. The color is more intense than I prefer but it should fade and patina into what I have in mind over time. I was going to have him diamond quilt but it's such a beautiful piece of leather that I decided to leave it alone and let it shine. I have a few ideas in mind for the leftovers.

Leather with enough for two more seats - $60
Labor - $160
Personal satisfaction - Priceless
I am convinced that getting a seat that way is the best option for mr. Time for me to talk to upholsterer.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am convinced that getting a seat that way is the best option for mr. Time for me to talk to upholsterer.
gfspencer, I see that you're sometimes in CA. If you ever want to get this done in SF, I'm happy to make the introduction. As a point of reference, I gave my guy the OEM seat in the morning and he was done by that afternoon!

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
gfspencer, I see that you're sometimes in CA. If you ever want to get this done in SF, I'm happy to make the introduction. As a point of reference, I gave my guy the OEM seat in the morning and he was done by that afternoon!
Thanks. I'm going to check with a guy here. If he won't do it I will keep your offer in mind.

My wife and I have a small place in Palo Alto. We're often out there to visit our son, daughter-in-law, and grandkids.

I wish I had a motorcycle out there. :frown2: I would really enjoy riding on Skyline Blvd. (I'm sure you know better places to ride but I don't get out of Palo Alto that often.)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts