Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I purchased a 2018 Bobber back in March after riding Harley’s for 30+ years. I have owned Sportsters, a Fat Boy and two Road Kings. Have lurked a bit on the forum, and joined this morning in order to be able to answer a specific question in the problem section.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I love the handling and fun factor of my Bobber. So far, however, is has had more warranty problems (only one, stator leaking oil down wire to regulator/rectifier) than my last 4 new Harleys combined. And, it took 30 days to get it fixed (I hope) due to delays getting replacement stator from Triumph. Harley dealers actually carry spare parts, and even if they don’t have the one you need, can get it within a day or two. My Triumph dealer does not stock spare parts, they say with a dozen brands on their showroom floors, and all the various models they simply can’t. And, if they are to be believed Triumph warranty process is difficult and not at all transparent, even to their dealers. So, love the Bobber but miss the Harley support infrastructure. I’ve been spoiled.

·
Premium Member
1,580 Posts
I love the handling and fun factor of my Bobber. So far, however, is has had more warranty problems (only one, stator leaking oil down wire to regulator/rectifier) than my last 4 new Harleys combined. And, it took 30 days to get it fixed (I hope) due to delays getting replacement stator from Triumph. Harley dealers actually carry spare parts, and even if they don’t have the one you need, can get it within a day or two. My Triumph dealer does not stock spare parts, they say with a dozen brands on their showroom floors, and all the various models they simply can’t. And, if they are to be believed Triumph warranty process is difficult and not at all transparent, even to their dealers. So, love the Bobber but miss the Harley support infrastructure. I’ve been spoiled.
This sucks to hear. I can't imagine missing out on a month of riding weather during our limited season here in Minnesota. Sorry to hear you had such a rough start. I'm betting I speak for many of us when I say 'Thank you for chiming in with valuable information to help out a fellow rider experiencing the same thing you did with regard to the oil leak.' This site is a great resource for Bobber and Speedmaster riders, and every tip helps when problems or questions come up.

Is the Bobber your only bike now, or did you hang onto a Harley for long rides? Any changes made or planned yet?

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Welcome. I, too came from Harley (Dyna Low Rider) and then a number of years renting (Softail Deluxe, Fat Bob and Fat Boy). Many years of enjoyment but, not going back there.
Different time, different age and different taste. Love my Bobber.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No harleys left in garage. I am fully committed to my Bobber (if the oil leak stays only a memory---lol). Almost 70, and really long rides are generally in my past, not my future. I wanted a bike that would be a hoot 4-5 hours at a time and I feel I have found it. Fortunately, I can ride year around, with the exception of during and immediately post the 3-4 snowstorms we have each year, and the really cold days. Most winter months, in the 14 years I have lived here, I can get in 5-6 days of riding, worst case. I have been thinking about three changes, heated grips, which I think will happen for sure, might increase those 5-6 days to 10, or more some months, high bars and a shock upgrade. On the last two, I am firmly on the fence. I am 6 foot tall, 180 pounds, with the leg and arm length of someone about 5 foot 8. I think the high bars would be more comfortable, much of the time, but am concerned they will adversely affect handling, and be a pain at 80 mph on the I 17 on runs to Phoenix or Flagstaff due to the increased wind blast. I find the Bobber with the stock bars surprisingly comfortable at highway speeds (major highways 75 mph posted here in AZ) , as regards wind blast specifically. and, I read conflicting opinions about whether someone my weight will significantly benefit from an upgraded shock.

·
Super Moderator
3,352 Posts
Triumph Heated grips are fantastic and I highly recommend them.
I also wear a good a fleeced/technical neck warmer that covers my chin & nose too.
Those combined will extend your riding days even further.
Regarding the shock, it’s personal preference but at 180lbs you would certainly see a benefit from an aftermarket shock spung for your weight and riding style.
Despite being in the weight bracket of the OEM shock, it’s not exactly renound for its performance in either the sport or touring category.

·
Super Moderator
1,068 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

I agree with you regarding the dealer network for Triumph versus HD, BMW etc. I think Triumph are trying to move away from the dealers that stock everything-and-nothing to Triumph-branded dealers that offer an experience compatible with the bikes themselves. Here in the Seattle area, the dealers don't even open on Sundays, except the HD ones!

- Pasta

1 - 14 of 14 Posts