Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy from TN, folks! We just ordered my wife a Bobber TFC yesterday, and I'm here to learn more about it, and post any questions she has well (in which case I'll let you know a question came from the Missus).

We've lurked around the Triumph forums long enough to know that much of the membership here has a lot in common with us in general, including sense of humor, whereas some other forums seem to have a makeup of members with some strong opinions on life apart from motorcycles which differ significantly from our own, to be polite.

We're pretty long-time riders, me for nearly 4 decades, and we've owned Hondas, Yamahas, and BMWs, but this will be the first Triumph for either of us. This seems to be the perfect bike for her, as the most frequent complaint, the ergos, fit her perfectly at just over 5' tall. While we got her a 2019 BMW R1250RT which she loves for long rides, tearing up mountain roads and twisties, and touring, she was always looking at the Bobber every time we were in the dealership, and when the TFC came out, it became a must for her. It will be the first bike she's had since learning to ride nearly 15 years ago on a Honda Rebel at the MSF course, on which she can easily flatfoot at stops, so she intends the Bobber to be primarily a weekend, short pleasure ride sort of bike.

I'm a BMW guy usually, but like the Triumph vibe and aesthetic, and one of my next bikes will likely be a modern classic. I'm looking forward to learning from you fine folks.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Welcome to the forum doby. Nice puppy you got there. Your assessment of this forum is spot on. Wish the boss best of luck with her new wheels, many joyful safe miles.??

Chico

·
Registered
83 Posts
As a young member of the forum I welcome you.
Apparently this forum is very well attended. This is rarely the case in France where everything goes to derision, mockery in any case nothing serious.
I congratulate the moderator members!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
where is Middle-Tn ? anywhere near Bristol??
Nashville is the big Mid-TN city, and my wife works there. Bristol is in the far eastern tip of TN, and half the city is actually located in Virginia. Bristol is one of the "Tri-Cities," along with Kingsport and Johnson City.

Because TN is shaped kind of like a trapezoidal mail-slot, and is much wider than it is high, it's always defined itself in terms of the "3 Grand Divisions" [yes, very much lol on that one] of the State, East, Middle, and West, thus the 3 stars on the flag.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Nashville is the big Mid-TN city, and my wife works there. Bristol is in the far eastern tip of TN, and half the city is actually located in Virginia. Bristol is one of the "Tri-Cities," along with Kingsport and Johnson City.

Because TN is shaped kind of like a trapezoidal mail-slot, and is much wider than it is high, it's always defined itself in terms of the "3 Grand Divisions" [yes, very much lol on that one] of the State, East, Middle, and West, thus the 3 stars on the flag.
Hi...yeah I know my Brother lives in Bristol.....was there last week , also was in Nashville for new years eve

·
Premium Member
1,494 Posts
Welcome to the group! Looking forward to seeing pics of your wife's new toy when she takes delivery. Are there any modern classics in particular that you're considering? There are a couple of guys on here that are riding Speedmasters and one with a SpeedTwin (one of MY particular favorites!).

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Welcome to the group! Looking forward to seeing pics of your wife's new toy when she takes delivery. Are there any modern classics in particular that you're considering? There are a couple of guys on here that are riding Speedmasters and one with a SpeedTwin (one of MY particular favorites!).
Thanks!

In Triumphs, I like the Bonnie T120 Diamond edition, and the orange color. I've always loved the Bonnies, just wished they had more power, and now they do. But count me among the many who've always hated the tank seam, especially on the higher trim line Bonnies, especially when they fixed it on the Scrambler.

I like the Speed Twin, if they'd make a version with the Thruxton RS's suspension, but they just haven't offered it up in a color combination that appealed to me so far. Along those lines, I'd love a Thruxton RS with an option for regular bars.

I'll have to take a look at the Speedmaster. I'll admit I hadn't really considered it much.

BMW R nineT /5: I would almost never choose the option without the premium suspension and brakes, but the "/5" model would make me do it. I love the history behind the bike, and the paint. My wife likes the idea, too, since the other models in the R nineT line I like are several thousand more expensive. :grin2:

BMW R18: IF they offer a version that looks retro, instead of the latest red concept they came out with which looked more market-ready, but which also looked much less retro than the previous black bike that looked straight out of 1950.

I've looked at the Duc. Scramblers now that they've come out with a line with more power, but only the 1100 Special appeals to me, and really it's a non-starter for me because of the way they route that exhaust.

I like the Indian Scout color options, but I wish they'd offer a version with the new flat-track bike engine and suspension that looked as retro as the base model Scouts, which might actually be a little down to a Bonnie on power to weight ratio.

You can tell I'm looking for retro AND performance, and right now my other bikes are BMW K1600GT, K1200S and Yamaha FZ-09 (the latter will need to go to make room).

So it's likely Bonnie or R nineT, but after my wife's purchase, it may be next year before we can swing it, so I'm still in the investigation phase, and I appreciate all the advice and info. I can get.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sounds like you’re after a Bonnie Bobber ?
I do LOVE the looks of the Bonnie Bobber, and while I'm sure my wife would like us to both ride one, as it would look "cute," my only issue with the Bobber is the ergos. These bikes are fully-featured for the money, and it's a good value. I'm so scrunched, my knees are higher than my fanny. For the same reason the ergos are perfect for her, I feel totally awkward on it. The Bonnie ergos are more my middle-aged spread, 6' tall cup of tea.

·
Super Moderator
3,352 Posts
Welcome to the forum!
Glad to see we have the same *great taste in dogs and bikes :smile2:

All my Dobergirls are in heaven now. But not a day goes by when i don't think about them...

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
I hear you on that mate.

It is a 'petite' feeling bike when stock. I put a lot of work in to my Bobber Black to get the ergo/comfort I was looking for. Almost certainly would have been less expensive to buy another bike but what can I say I just love the Bobber. Custom bars, floorboards and a sprung seat did it for me, not (at least for me) it's about as perfect as I cannot it and LOVE riding it ever day. But that kind of work is not for everyone.

Looking forward to seeing both of you with your new bikes, a side by side photo would be grand.

Well done to both of you.

Cheerio,

Roy

Attachments

·
Registered
1,186 Posts

Tennessee was really long when you were part of North Carolina. :surprise:

I used to ride BMWs. Great bikes.

Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I do LOVE the looks of the Bonnie Bobber, and while I'm sure my wife would like us to both ride one, as it would look "cute," my only issue with the Bobber is the ergos. These bikes are fully-featured for the money, and it's a good value. I'm so scrunched, my knees are higher than my fanny. For the same reason the ergos are perfect for her, I feel totally awkward on it. The Bonnie ergos are more my middle-aged spread, 6' tall cup of tea.
I'm 6'2" 185 lbs and I ride a Bobber Black with the Mini Apes; solved the ergonomics issue for me. Forward controls are always an option on the Bobber as well.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Welcome to the forum!
Glad to see we have the same *great taste in dogs and bikes :smile2:

All my Dobergirls are in heaven now. But not a day goes by when i don't think about them...
That pic is of my favorite male ever, who is also in heaven, as are the other 3 I've had over my life, when I had to put down my elderly black and tan girl a year or so ago. I have to wait until a couple of older rescues we took in pass on for me to get another. I miss them all every day. I love all dogs, but Dobes have a huge part of my heart.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hey Dobervol! Welcome!

You will definitely want to get something that'll keep up to Her now! :laugh:

I'd say maybe the Thruxton R, She is going to have a significant power/weight advantage over you. >:)

:laugh::laugh::laugh: My work here is done! :laugh:
My K1600GT is faster than her R1250RT; my Yamaha FZ-09 is faster than her FZ-07. But on the other hand, her VW Golf R is faster than my 535i (which is an elderly 2011, but which I won't trade in, because it's the last year they offered a true manual in the 5 Series).

But when we ride together, there's no doubt whatsoever that she would enjoy having a better power to weight ratio over me. That's one of the reasons I at least want something with greater lean angle than the Bobber, so that she won't be waiting for me at the bottom of a long mountain road. And that's gonna happen now. Oh, the humiliation!:grin2:

·
Premium Member
1,494 Posts
@dobervol how do you like the FZ-09? It's one of the bikes on my list of 2nd bike options. I'm basically looking for something that I can use as a daily commuter in the summer, yet also use to take my wife for short rides if she's in the mood to tag along to a restaurant or for an evening ride. I'm also considering the Yamaha FJR 1300 or Honda ST1300, although they aren't nearly as sporty as the MT-09.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts