Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

Glad to be a part of the community. I've been dying to get a bobber since the day I laid my eyes on it. It was love at first sight, but alas it wasn't meant to be.. Until now.

There's no official Triumph dealer here and the only ones available are private imports which are a bit out of my budget i.e. IF one comes up in the classifieds.

Well I grew tired of waiting and hoping, and decided to take matters into my own hands.
Enter Copart. I know what you guys might be thinking... not a good idea, hidden damages and stuff like that, but going this route has made me connect with the bike even more.

Found a relatively less damaged 2017 Bobber and had it imported here. It's currently sitting in a garage waiting for parts to be restored to its former glory. I'll be posting pics of the restoration soon. Until then happy and safe riding to all.

P.S. Here are some before pics. Also, if any one of you recognizes the bike and knows the former owner, I would appreciate it if you could connect me with them, as I would like to know their sentiments/stories about the bike and of course hope they are doing well given the crash.

Attachments

·
Registered
317 Posts
Welcome to the site. It's a little hard to tell from the pics. Is the front fender bent down? What other damage is there?
If you look closely the left fork is completely w&nkered. Hopefully the frame isn't bent as well. It probably doesn't take much to ben a fork like that but I would get the frame inspected...... Actually both forks are *****ed.

·
Premium Member
2,511 Posts
Welcome and congrats on your new bike.

We all tend to change most things on our bike anyway, so starting off with something you have to part build is probably not that bad.

Good luck old chap and keep us informed of how your project goes.

I'm surprised the bike hasn't just melted with the heat in your part of the world anyway..:wink2:

Cheerio,

Roy

·
Super Moderator
1,099 Posts
With a bit of luck and a following wind, new forks is all she'll need. Forks are bendy and should sacrifice themselves to protect the frame. Never know until you look, mind.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Congrats and welcome. No dealer but, hope you have some help with the inspection and the mechanics or that you’re able to do it yourself. Plenty of help here on the forum so just ask if you need assistance.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wow!!!

What an overwhelming response from all you guys. Thanks for the hearty welcome and advice. Rest assured I will be relying on your collective knowledge in the days to come.

I'm not good mechanically so the restoration is being done at a garage with what I can only hope are professional mechanics. I would have loved to work on it myself, however lack of space and the tools needed have also forced me to give it to a garage to be restored.

The damage assessment (parts needing to be replaced) is as follows:

1. Inner fork tubes
2. Radiator (the guys at the shop said I could have it repaired, but it might be a gamble)
3. Front disc/rotor warped (needs replacement)
4. Gear pedal assembly (from when the bike fell on its side)
5. Miscellaneous bits and pieces like seals and bearings etc.

The front fender was bent and scraped a bit, along with the tank which had a few dents as well. Both were repaired and repainted. The tank was repainted Morello Red as we all know it adds a few more HP>:)

The previous owner obviously cared about the bike and there are a lot of aftermarket pieces on the bike like the levers, air pods, oil gauge etc..
One thing which I will change from that though is the exhaust. They had on them BC straight pipes. From all the videos out there, I much prefer the stock exhaust sound and bought a pair off ebay to be fitted back.

The rest of the parts are arriving Saturday:grin2: Can't wait until then.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Welcome here.

Levers and pedals look OK so maybe Bonnie hit something but didn't come off or drop the bike... or is this wishful thinking on your behalf :D

·
Super Moderator
1,099 Posts
That damage assessment sounds reasonable. I'd still want to get the frame tested for straightness. There have been reported cases of the Morello red paint job straightening bent frames, but I'd still test :nerd:

·
Super Moderator
3,352 Posts
That damage assessment sounds reasonable. I'd still want to get the frame tested for straightness. There have been reported cases of the Morello red paint job straightening bent frames, but I'd still test :nerd:
And there I was thinking it was an xpipe and open Zard exhaust that could scare the frame straight...:grin2:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts