Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not that I am using the bike currently. With all the salt on the road and lack of daylight its tucked up in the garage. However I did decide to add some heated grips and an accessory plug. The accessory plug was easy. There are some Triumph instructions on the web for this and its easy to do. Hardest part is locating the power cable. You have to take two bolts out from the rear of the tank and fish it out from the harness then drop it down between the throttle bodies. The bracket bolts on above the clutch cover behind the cylinders. There are two plugs in the bolt holes. I am using it as a charge point for my trickle charger with a powerlett connector i picked up from Amazon.

The heated grips are also pretty straightforward though I can't find any Bobber specific instructions and annoyingly there are none included. So far I have only done the clutch side. The hardest part was getting the old grip off. I used the compressed air trick but I have seen people use WD40 its on pretty tight but no glue I could see. The power wire in the new grip feeds up through the bar and you fish it out by the switchgear which has the connector in place. All in all a pretty simple job. I will tackle the throttle side tomorrow.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Jock_Rocket that link is perfect. The one I found was for the Thruxton etc. which has a different layout. Its a fairly self explanatory process, but it is nice to have the right instructions.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I fitted the throttle side this morning. Its a bit fiddly as there isn't much free play in the plug, but it didn't take long. The grips heat up pretty quickly too. They aren't cheap, but they are well made. I also added an LED headlight I found on Amazon for £47 I haven't tried it in anger but it seems good and was a steal at that price compared to what Triumph want for the genuine article. It was listed for Harleys and it doesn't have a socket for the parking light, but as I have never used that I can't really mourn its loss.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Interested to know how you get on fitting the LED lamp - price is a steal if it fits :smile2:
Its an easy fit, the light has a lug which matches the backplate inside the headlight. It doesn't have provision for the parking light. I never use that anyway. I am not sure if this link works but this is what it looks like. Its very bright and cheap enough to take a risk on.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Interesting post Bob, I was told you had to have them coded & switch on by Triumph? Do the heat levels show on the dash?

Also I read somewhere that there has been a recall on heated grips expanding too much on the throttle side. When on full heat they then got caught on the mirror mount hindering free movement.

It might have been the Thruxston or Scrambler as there factory fitted but worth keeping an eye on.

Triumphs fix was to put a additional washer between the grip & mirror mount.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think it just the cruise control that has to be coded by the dealers Walenut. Once they were connected you hit the button on the left side and it cycles through off-lo-hi in the dash. I can't see the throttle grip sticking as its a fair gap between it and the mirror, but its is worth bearing in mind.That could ruin your day!

·
Registered
370 Posts
So rode into work this morning, it was 35*F out. But later will be perfect riding weather when i get out of work.

Anyway, my body was actually fine with almost no real cold weather gear but my hands were practically numb before I pulled in. Do heated grips really make that much of a difference? Am I better off with just heated gloves? Or do you need both for it to really be worth it?

Probably not many more riding days left here in NY but maybe I could get till mid or end of November with the right hand setup.

2017 Triumph Bobber NYC

·
Registered
792 Posts
I never had heated grips on a bike but I can tell you that they work great on snowmobiles right down to single digits and you won't need heated gloves.

·
Super Moderator
828 Posts
So rode into work this morning, it was 35*F out. But later will be perfect riding weather when i get out of work.

Anyway, my body was actually fine with almost no real cold weather gear but my hands were practically numb before I pulled in. Do heated grips really make that much of a difference? Am I better off with just heated gloves? Or do you need both for it to really be worth it?

Probably not many more riding days left here in NY but maybe I could get till mid or end of November with the right hand setup.

2017 Triumph Bobber NYC
A heated jacket makes a huge difference, I've had one for 15 years which is max 38 Watts, and invariably on full chat it's too hot. A warm body keeps your hands warm too, although grips make a big difference when it's wet weather...

·
Registered
414 Posts
I have heated grips on my BMW and love them. My Bobber doesn’t provide enough wind protection for me to invest in the accessory for cold riding. But if you’re going to ride your Bobber in the cold, you will love the heated grips.

·
Premium Member
1,628 Posts
I'm definitely a fan of my heated grips, but the wind hitting my fingers, even inside leather gloves, is pretty cold in 30's and 40's F temps. Keeping my body warm is pretty easy with layers, but I still haven't figured out a good way to keep my boots/feet from getting cold.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I'm definitely a fan of my heated grips, but the wind hitting my fingers, even inside leather gloves, is pretty cold in 30's and 40's F temps. Keeping my body warm is pretty easy with layers, but I still haven't figured out a good way to keep my boots/feet from getting cold.
Ride a Beemer....nice warm air on your feet from the cylinders! ?

·
Registered
749 Posts
Do heated grips really make that much of a difference? Am I better off with just heated gloves? Or do you need both for it to really be worth it?

The OEM heated grips on the Bobber are great but there's a limit to what they can do, having them won't allow you to ride around in sub-zero temperatures in summer gloves. However if you're out on a ride and the temperature drops or if you've got an early morning start before the sun's up and your kit isn't quite warm enough then heated grips will make a all the difference and that's real luxury. They're a bit like drop down sun visors in helmets or heated seats in cars, until you've experienced them you won't see the point, but once you have it's hard to go back. >:)

·
Premium Member
2,514 Posts
Hi Chaps,

I dug up this old thread as I think heated grips are in my future. I'm not very confident tackling modifications that have anything to do with the electrics but from what I've read (and the pdf linked earlier) it seems like it may be doable even for me, any thoughts?

My main question is; can I ask what heated grip you are all using on your Bobbers?

I have looked that the Triumph website and it seems there are lots of options and I'm not sure which one would be the best to get.

Any and all hep greatly appreciated?

Cheerio,

Roy

1 - 20 of 33 Posts