Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Bobber Black is in the dealer having the battery checked and the fork oil topped up. I’ve only done 2200 miles.

They’ve informed me that the headstock bearings are notchy. It’s not something I’ve really noticed, but they did say that it would be a warranty issue either way so it’s not something that will cost me anything.

Is this a common issue at this age?

·
Registered
510 Posts
Not normal in that time frame. Do you pressure wash it or does it see a wet environment often?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nope, I hand wash it and rinse without a hosepipe, and it’s very rare for it to be ridden in a wet environment.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Ask to see the old bearings. Curious as to if they just failed because of defect or if they are notchy because of water contamination that caused rust.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Ask to see the old bearings. Curious as to if they just failed because of defect or if they are notchy because of water contamination that caused rust.
Or whether they were actually changed. I don't know the dealer but it wouldn't be the first time a dealer made up faults where there were none.:surprise:
The other questions are why the fork fluid needed topping up? Were the seals leaking? How did the dealer ascertain that the forks needed oil?

Chico

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The fork oil is my bad. I changed the top caps, but spilt a bit of oil from the left side one when doing it. Whilst it was only a small amount, I didn’t want any adverse effects on the handling etc.

They mentioned the bearings. I did have a look, but it’s hard to check that they’re properly notchy without having the wheel off the floor. I certainly didn’t notice it when I was riding home

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
To add, the dealer said the bearings aren’t great on them. However, I had a look and didn’t find much about it being a problem elsewhere

·
Registered
697 Posts
Did you raise the front when replacing the fork caps? That should decompress the tubes and avoid any oil spills. Also a good time to check head bearing play. Should be a smooth turn side-to-side. Hard to feel with wheel on the ground.

·
Registered
712 Posts
I wonder if those bearings come from China. I recall a repeat job at work where the purchasing dept began substituting Chinese bearings which were "standard identical-to-spec equivalent" bearings compared to the US-made ones we'd used for 15+ years. You guessed it -- failures quickly started happening in the field in applications where zero failures had ever occurred. Switched back, no problems since. China has gotten better at many things but their bearings remain risky IMO.

-GPz/Gary

1 - 11 of 11 Posts