Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

Anyone had ownership/a play with the new 2019 Street Bob from HD and have an informed opinion (please no 'It's a tractor on 2 wheels!' comments :p

Ta

·
Registered
355 Posts
I was at a Harley Shop recently and saw a Glide in Red Denim.... I'm all about that color.

·
Registered
171 Posts
It is IMO the most "fun" HD, I own 2 HDs in addition to my Triumph Bobber. The 107 M8 motor is also a better choice for a cruiser/bobber as it keeps the torque curve down low. I rode a Breakout with both motors and preferred the 107.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Came across this Street Bob outside the gym the other day. I think the new range of 'Soft-tails' are great, Harley have certainly upped their game in terms of fit and finish, but then again they needed too!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
171 Posts
Fit and Finish

My favorite HD from current models is the Fat Bob. It was well received by the MC motoring press and felt comfortable when I sat on one. If I didn't have a HD already this one would be my choice.

https://www.harley-davidson.com/us/en/motorcycles/2019/softail/fat-bob.html

Chico
Actually IMO HD set the bar in fit and finish as well as materials. Unlike many motorcycles they use metal and quality parts. Of course I also think Triumph is now also a state of the art manufacturer in fit and finish.

·
Super Moderator
1,681 Posts
For me; what kills me is the rear fender on most HDs like this one. I get that it needs suspension travel but man it’s blah looking. Yes; I also lower my cars to get rid of fender gap and increase handling performance.

·
Premium Member
2,452 Posts
For me; what kills me is the rear fender on most HDs like this one. I get that it needs suspension travel but man it’s blah looking. Yes; I also lower my cars to get rid of fender gap and increase handling performance.
I totally agree.

The real design feature that drew me to the Bobber (and the reason I didn't go for a Speed) was how the rear mudguard hugs that tyre. It just looks spot on and as per the original 1930's bikes. Love it.

Cheerio,

Roy

·
Super Moderator
1,681 Posts
I totally agree.

The real design feature that drew me to the Bobber (and the reason I didn't go for a Speed) was how the rear mudguard hugs that tyre. It just looks spot on and as per the original 1930's bikes. Love it.

Cheerio,

Roy
Agree completely.

·
Registered
153 Posts

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
But the exhaust is so ugly, you'd have to shell out a few hundred £/$ immediately.
Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder my friend, I like the exhaust. If one doesn't like it and does what many have done to the Bobber exhaust is that different? Or is it just that you don't like HD and find reasons to justify your dislike of the brand.

Chici

·
Registered
153 Posts
Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder my friend, I like the exhaust. If one doesn't like it and does what many have done to the Bobber exhaust is that different? Or is it just that you don't like HD and find reasons to justify your dislike of the brand.

Chici
Anything but. It's hard not to have a fondness for Harley Davidson if cruiser/bobber style bikes are your thing.
They are the bikes that are almost instantly recognisable visually and aurally and probably the brand that kick started my journey towards bike ownership a few years back (48 with gold metalflake paint at Goodwood Festival of speed 2011 to be precise). Levelling a dislike for HD because I expressed an opinion on the exhaust on a particular model is a bit of a leap.

The Fat Bob is probably my favourite of the current range and has been from the moment I saw its release a while back, however Harley Davidsons are expensive in the UK, this model is £14.3k base (just shy of $18k) and as I personally don't like the exhaust, there's already another few hundred I would need to spend straight away. It's the same reason I didn't buy and XV950CR; I don't like the exhaust and the extra outlay of several hundred pounds at the outset pushed me in another direction. Doesn't mean I don't like Yamaha.

The Bobber on the other hand is, to me, near perfect in stock form. There is very little on the showroom model I wouldn't be happy to live with (providing it's in Morello obvs) and yet it is only improved by the various mods we've chosen to add, whether they are to my taste or not.

·
Super Moderator
1,681 Posts
Anything but. It's hard not to have a fondness for Harley Davidson if cruiser/bobber style bikes are your thing.
They are the bikes that are almost instantly recognisable visually and aurally and probably the brand that kick started my journey towards bike ownership a few years back (48 with gold metalflake paint at Goodwood Festival of speed 2011 to be precise). Levelling a dislike for HD because I expressed an opinion on the exhaust on a particular model is a bit of a leap.

The Fat Bob is probably my favourite of the current range and has been from the moment I saw its release a while back, however Harley Davidsons are expensive in the UK, this model is £14.3k base (just shy of $18k) and as I personally don't like the exhaust, there's already another few hundred I would need to spend straight away. It's the same reason I didn't buy and XV950CR; I don't like the exhaust and the extra outlay of several hundred pounds at the outset pushed me in another direction. Doesn't mean I don't like Yamaha.

The Bobber on the other hand is, to me, near perfect in stock form. There is very little on the showroom model I wouldn't be happy to live with (providing it's in Morello obvs) and yet it is only improved by the various mods we've chosen to add, whether they are to my taste or not.
Nicely stated, but we all know that the Ironstone (iron and stones are heavy), and the Morello red are the slowest.......they have no racing pedigree like Frost Silver and Competition Green......just saying....>:)

·
Registered
1,125 Posts

Nice explanation Ed. Morello obviously the best color, not sure about being the fastest, probably depends on the captain sitting in the saddle.?

Chico

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Cheers for the replies, one major hurdle in the purchase is no garage and a £2,500 a year insurance bill so **** no! lol

1 - 20 of 21 Posts