Triumph Bobber Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm taking delivery of a Speedmaster soon ...my end goal is to transform it to look something like the maverick satin black colour scheme (click for photo>>> WheelsAge ) ....basically blacking out heaps of things to get close to the bobber black vibe!

Having just watched someone wrap a tank in satin black in this video...

....I'm fancying having a go myself (what's the worst that can happen!)

3M vinyl wrap isn't particularly cheap, so I'm wondering how much I'd need to wrap the tank in one piece....along with the two fenders - anyone done this?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
(if any Speedmaster owner could measure the length of the tank end to end ....and side to side (i.e. all the way from the bottom weld to the other side at the widest point), then that would help me calculate how much vinyl wrap I'll need for the tank alone ...I'd be most grateful :) )

·
Registered
444 Posts
I watched about 1-2 dozen videos on wrapping and ordered premium wrap to try out on my tank (avery). I planned on a leather tank strap down the middle anyway, so I decided that I would do right half and left half separately, since it is apparently much easier than a single piece. I also figured 'whats the worst that could happen' and i only wasted like $30 and i have leftover for something else. that being said, it was extremely difficult to do the tank, we (my gf helped me) gave up after about 45 mins. it is a lot more difficult than these YT guys make it seem, they do it for a living or have experience doing it. i saw someone wrap and entire tank in one piece in about 45 seconds on YT .. it won't be like that at all dude.

GL man, update us on if you did better than i could

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well if I do it (& I likely will), I'll post a before & after photo :) (the after photo will likely show some crumpled up vinyl wrap in a bin)

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Tire Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire
Hank, I spent about an hour each on my side covers with blow dryer and had vinyl fairly smooth and put them back on in 35* weather. The next morning I noticed a lot of wrinkles. The "snakeskin " covers the word bobber anyway.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts