Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone hit the top speed on the Bobber? What was it? And how did it feel? I don’t have the balls myself, been about 90 mph and it felt fine, not sure if you could hold on with the wind at 120 ha

·
Registered
456 Posts
Yes, it hits a predetermined wall right around 110mph.

I suspect Triumph limited it there due to liability concerns. The marginal rigidity of the frame joints simply do not provide a stiff enough chassis to be completely safe going much faster, especially if the screws aren't properly torqued down and you hit a rough patch of pavement. Tank slappers aren't fun or safe.

-GPZ/Gary

·
Registered
577 Posts
Well the tyres are specced to 150 ish, had a tad over 110 on the speedo but the riding position is carp at that speed, my errr large frame makes a helluva speed brake, tho i dont know how well it would handle at 150 lol

·
Registered
456 Posts
Even if the frame was stiffened and the rev limiter was disabled, a stock Bobber is about 25HP and a half-fairing from being able to do 150mph. I base that on numbers from the FJ1200 whose neck I used to wring regularly.

-GPz/Gary

·
Super Moderator
3,352 Posts
Pretty moot point on the Bobber and even if you live next to a German autobahn or racetrack with a long straight, it would still be the wrong bike; uncomfortable and probably pretty unstable. The OEM tires, suspension, engine/revs/air intake and brakes (or aerodynamics) are not set up for very high velocity.
I’ve been over 250kph on a gixxer 1000 and it’s neither exhilarating nor fun. Kind of boring actually!
What gets me excited are skills like Motorcycle gymkhana and advanced riding. Those skills take dedication, skill & talent. Twisting a throttle doesn’t.

*Just my personal opinion and in no way meant to offend you or your question :)

·
Registered
256 Posts
Pretty moot point on the Bobber and even if you live next to a German autobahn or racetrack with a long straight, it would still be the wrong bike; uncomfortable and probably pretty unstable. The OEM tires, suspension, engine/revs/air intake and brakes (or aerodynamics) are not set up for very high velocity.
I’ve been over 250kph on a gixxer 1000 and it’s neither exhilarating nor fun. Kind of boring actually!
What gets me excited are skills like Motorcycle gymkhana and advanced riding. Those skills take dedication, skill & talent. Twisting a throttle doesn’t.

*Just my personal opinion and in no way meant to offend you or your question :)
I know what you mean about high speeds on faired sports bikes. Speeds in excess of 150mph on my old ZX9R felt a bit easy and uneventful except that the world around me was flashing past like a sped up video. I think the scariest thing was when I slowed down to 70mph it felt so slow that I could get off and walk!

The Bobber's entertaining at any speed.

·
Registered
146 Posts
100 mph on the bobber feels like 170 mph on my old race bike, minus the blurred vision that happens around 160.

I occasionally will do more, but didn’t buy this bike for that reason.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
I've had the Bobber up to about 90 mph on the Interstate when I was trying to get past a bunch of cars. 90 mph was very uncomfortable for me. The Bobber is a great bike for easy riding around 45 to 55 mph on secondary roads.

20 years ago I got a BMW up to 245 kph on the autobahn. That was enough for me. My reaction time would not be fast enough for me to do that again.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
I've had the Bobber up to about 90 mph on the Interstate when I was trying to get past a bunch of cars. 90 mph was very uncomfortable for me. The Bobber is a great bike for easy riding around 45 to 55 mph on secondary roads.

20 years ago I got a BMW up to 245 kph on the autobahn. That was enough for me. My reaction time would not be fast enough for me to do that again.

I agree, running at 85/90 is very uncomfortable. However some weeks back I ran at 90+ for a good stint to test out my windshield at hight speed and it was actually very comfortable indeed. The bike just purred along and I was very comfortable, could have stayed at that speed for an hour easily.

All depends on one's set up I guess. As you point out though, running those kings of speeds without a shield is hard work.

Cheerio,

Roy

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
I agree, running at 85/90 is very uncomfortable. However some weeks back I ran at 90+ for a good stint to test out my windshield at hight speed and it was actually very comfortable indeed. The bike just purred along and I was very comfortable, could have stayed at that speed for an hour easily.

All depends on one's set up I guess. As you point out though, running those kings of speeds without a shield is hard work.

Cheerio,

Roy
"Windshield" is the key word here. I don't have one. :frown2:

·
Registered
499 Posts
Speed limiter is 110mph, 4th 5th 6th, sit up, lay down, that's it.
It feels stable enough for a bit more, if only the ecu would allow it.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts