Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone want to buy my bobber for 25k so I can buy and mod one of these? ����

Seriously....I love my bike, but this is one mean looking Harley.

·
Registered
136 Posts
That is a good looking bike, lot on money me thinks.

·
Premium Member
1,655 Posts
The numbers on this bike look great, but I'm not a fan of the overall look. Reeeeally don't like the look of the exhaust and rear fender (easily changed for a price, I'm sure), and not a fan of the solid-looking rear wheel. Seems like it has potential, but for that kind of money I'd like it to be setup in a more appealing way. Cool that Harley is moving out of their comfort zone though.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don’t like the exhaust or the fender. I really don’t see either one when I look at the bike though, because they would both be in the scrap pile if I had one.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Great that they’re finally branching out IF the dealers take the new style seriously (unlike the V-Rod, the early Street series bikes and of course, Buell). But, $21k!? Totally inappropriate and IMO missing the point of what might attract new and younger riders.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Anyone want to buy my bobber for 25k so I can buy and mod one of these? ����

Seriously....I love my bike, but this is one mean looking Harley.

IMHO Harley have done an awesome job with the new soft tail range, from what I've seen the build quality is up and they've finally fitted half decent suspension and brakes...about time!!! But the FXDR doesn't do it for me for that money I'd sooner have an XDiavel. >:)

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
HD’s are far to big of a risk financially in the U.K. at the moment from what I’ve been told. In short... the import duties have been increased to between 2-3k more expensive on average. If when the inflated import duties are removed that premium paid will obviously have a negative impact on resale values.

All of that aside... this one just isn’t for me in its current form. Although I can see the potential :)

·
Super Moderator
3,352 Posts
Not a fan. The exhaust is awful - but I’m sure that’s to appease the harsh Euro 6 (or whatever it is now) laws.

I like the direction HARLEY is taking with their electric bikes, though.

·
Premium Member
2,578 Posts
Like many comments here, there are parts I like but overall I think it's not a nicely designed bike.

It reminds me of the sort of bike that could become 'dated' very quickly. The back end looks like something someone threw together back in the 1980's.

I do like the rake of the forts though, they look a little out there, a nice angle.

Cheerio,

Roy

·
Super Moderator
1,681 Posts
Negative on star wars like white second(?) fender, negative on the refrigerator silencer, and not a fan of how the rake makes the bike look overall.

Other thank that, rest looks nice.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I've got mixed feelings about this design and direction.. first, let me see the radiator from the front... Indian did a great job with the scout design, but the frame around the radiator (front view, silver frame) destroys the look... the scout bobber (black frame) "hides" the rad a little better.. second, the rear fender looks almost non existant, maybe a good thing.
Stance looks odd with a front mag rim and solid rear.. it's like they went to the "leftover parts department" from past bikes and "parted" this together.. and don't get me started with the exhaust...
Shorten the forks / rake, and position the rider to "over the tank" with controls to the back and you have a race bike.. well pretty much..
NOW the big pill to swallow..$25k!?!? I see that kind of money on a bagger not a cruiser. And that intake.. looks like they took it off of a 80s Japanese bike (verago?)
.. but then again, that's is why they make chocolate and vanilla icecream..
$25k is a lot for a single seat Harley, I'm gonna be real curious how they hold their value.. this is gonna be a real tough market to crack at that price point.. $14-17k MAAAAYYYBBEEEEEEYYYYY.....

·
Registered
67 Posts
240 rear tire......119 pounds of torque.......upside down forks.....this thing will be a hoot to ride...

price----yuck !!

looks are subjective ..

·
Registered
326 Posts
Harley's are very much an acquired taste. One thankfully I never managed to acquire. It looks to me like they lost interest half way through designing it. The front wheel for example. The back wheel will be in a different county from the front. What's that about? I have never really got the Harley Davidson appeal. However to each their own. If its $25k in the US then probably £25k plus here. They won't be selling them by the boat load of that I am sure.

·
Registered
176 Posts
First, there is no radiator to view from any angle, this bike is air and oil cooled with a small oil cooler between the front frame tubes. Secondly, the price is in line with American made bikes, unfortunately very expensive due to our factories all being unionized. Polaris offerings are similar priced, for similar products, and the ARCH motorcycles are out of sight.

I ride a 2017 Bobber as well as a 2014 Harley Road King CVO Stage IV, (125 ft-lbs of torque and 115 hp). I love them both. I started with a '74 Norton 850 Commando back in 1974 and have ridden many brands, almost all marques since then other than Suzuki. I don't think it is quite accurate to frame HD as an acquired taste as they sell literally 10 motorcycles for every Triumph sold. Any manufacturer that essentially has 50% of the total large displacement market in the world is doing something right.

HD is as this moment probably the most diverse company in motorcycles going forward, with Street fighters, ADV, electrics, and other new models on the horizon, I wish them well. Each bike has it's own character. In the past 6 years I have owned a 2012 Triumph Thunderbird, 2016 Bonne T120, Victory 2012 8 Ball, Vespa 300, as well my current bikes which I have no plans to sell as I love them both. Each of us loves motorcycling and no brand can't be painted with a broad brush. I also owned a Rocket 3 that was a joke as a useful bike, but that did not mean Triumph products were poorly engineered, like me '65 Triumph was. Even the new Gold Wing is amazing, I know having done a 4 hour VIP Demo. I have ridden an DiavelX, was also amazed but it was not for me and seeing them languish in my dealer it might not just be me. Sport bikes have no interest for me either, but that does not mean they are bad, just not.

The new FXDR looks very interesting to me, and the preliminary reviews are impressive. In the end though a power cruiser is just not my style. I am just happy not to be a cager, and have the ability to ride bikes. In the end if either HD or Triumph does not prosper that will be a great loss for the sport, they are two of the most storied brands and we would loose more than just the bikes.

·
Registered
171 Posts
^^^^^blah, blah, blah, blah^^^^
Pontiac=Aztec
Amc=Pacer
AMC=Gremlin
Yugo= anything
Chevy=Chevette
chrysler=LaBaron & K car
Ford=Mustang II
Isuzu=i-mark

"They can't all be first round pics..."
-Allen Gamble-

:)

·
Registered
792 Posts
As a 30 year Harley rider I think that is one butt ugly bike that you couldn't even give to me!:( The dealers can get as serious as a heart attack but if the buyers don't absolutely love it that isn't going to help! I seriously wish the Motor Company the best but 80% of their new line is crap for us classic guys!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I wish Harley well as any success they have is good for the industry. And considering they’ve lost about 1/3 of unit sales since their heydays of around 2008, they really need some out of the box thinking. This model seems controversial in style (which isn’t necessarily bad) but, at $21k+ seems excessive as it’s not really designed for HD faithfuls who are used to those prices. Part of the key to success for any of their new bikes will be how seriously their dealers and sales people take these new entries, and not look down on them as not being real Harleys.

·
Registered
792 Posts
So by taking them seriously you mean buying them all? I thought that was the customers job, the bike has to sell itself or it isn't going to sell period! YMMV.

·
Registered
509 Posts
So by taking them seriously you mean buying them all? I thought that was the customers job, the bike has to sell itself or it isn't going to sell period! YMMV.
They need to make a few changes. The old guys aren't going to be here forever , and the young crowd doesn't want a loud , slow cruiser......Yet. I have never owned a Harley , but like them. I agree completely with you on what is going on there currently. The sport looking bike (not this one , a more super bike look..) is OK , they needed to be in the adventure market 10 years ago , and the one they are teasing looks like it should be from the 22 century , so I , as a consumer , am left scratching my head.

I certainly hope that the abundance of money they made through the 90's and 2000's has been used to keep the brand alive.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
This model also comes in black and in my opinion looks much better. There seem to be a lot of HD bashers on this forum as there are on most non HD forums. It seems to be a blood sport especially by those who never had/rode one.
I have a Fat Boy, it's slow and the handling is wanting as is the front brake. Yet getting on her and taking a leasurlly ride is a very pleasant experience. The proof is in the excellent success the brand has enjoyed for generations. A company that has been in business for over 100 years is bound to have some hiccups along the way, Triumph is a perfect example of a company that has reinvented itself.

Chico

1 - 20 of 30 Posts