Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know lots of folks have complained about the brakes, but I never thought too much about it, I think because the brakes on my last two bikes were horrible (Royal Enfield) and mediocre (older Guzzi), so I am used to it. But this morning as I was putting along at about 15 mph in city traffic, hand on throttle lightly and brake foot at the ready for slow downs, I suddenly had to stop quickly. Pressed the foot brake, and it was like there was nothing there... Grabbed the hand brake just in time to avoid plowing into the car ahead of me, but it was close. Partly my fault for getting a little bit traffic hypnotized, but still...

·
Super Moderator
3,352 Posts
The uprated FreeSpirits setup (complete front and rear) go a long way to solving the issue. But don’t expect miracles.
During advanced training we learned how to apply the front brake mid corner and swerve an obstacle, then come to a safe stop. This is basically impossible to do safely on the Bobber even with the FreeSpirits, as the front wheel gives up all grip with even a hint of braking while on its side.

But for straight line braking & when used together, the upgrade was well worth it and glad I can use alot less force at the lever.

The OEM braking setup is not something I could have put up with, though.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Similar thing happened to me... I use my rear brake a bunch, but went to use it the other day and it just felt like nothing and sank down to the header pipe. I took the caliper off, reset/cleaned the piston, and noticed my pads were moderately worn, but not what I would expect for the feeling.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Google pad bedding in procedure. When I got my bike, the brakes were as you describe, especially the rear. I also owned a royal enfield bullet c5, and the brakes felt worse than that! I did a bedding procedure for each brake separately and now it stops a LOT better. I can activate the ABS pretty easily now, and do single finger stops for the front (still need two fingers for hard stops).

·
Registered
962 Posts
Similar thing happened to me... I use my rear brake a bunch, but went to use it the other day and it just felt like nothing and sank down to the header pipe. I took the caliper off, reset/cleaned the piston, and noticed my pads were moderately worn, but not what I would expect for the feeling.
What you and the OP are describing is a classic symptom of air in the brake system.

Chico

·
Registered
662 Posts
Classic advice on the use of bike brakes? In dry conditions, 80% front, 20% rear. In wet, even less rear. The rear is only used to "keep the bike in a straight line". The reason is that as you brake, weight transfers to the front of the bike, unloading the rear wheel... If you train yourself, you need to "plant" the front wheel first and then brake harder, if you grab a handful of front without doing that, the front will bounce off the bottom of the forks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts