Triumph Bobber Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first bike with a chain. What should I use to grease the chain.I looked on line and it recommended a lithium grease but I have been reading and now I’m not sure. What is best

·
Registered
2018 Speedmaster
367 Posts
Like you this is my first chain bike so I am no expert. That said, I have been using chain wax and it seems to work well. I like that it does not fly off if you let it dry a little before riding. But there could be better options. You can pick it up at Walmart or most bike shops.

Liquid Bottle Drink Personal care Font

·
Registered
534 Posts
Any discussion about chain lube will result in a myriad of opinions. I use different methods for my Honda workhorse which is out in all weathers and my Bobber which is a leisure bike for nice days out when the sun is shining. So much depends on your use of the bike and the environment - there is no single answer.

The Bobber chain is sealed so you're not actually lubricating the moving parts. You are mainly protecting the links from corrosion. You also need to use cleaning and lubricating products that do not damage the seals. Paraffin (or Kerosene) is ideal. Do not use petrol, that will wreck your chain.

The most traditional lube (and one recommended by many manufacturers) is gear oil applied lightly with a brush. The theory is that it is thick enough not to be flung off. It is cheap and effective. The downside is that it is messy and makes the chain sticky which attracts dirt. Grease will do the same so I wouldn't use it.

I prefer a dry wax for my Bobber. I use Wurth dry chain wax but there are many similar products. https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/29605

It is easy to apply, dries clear and dry so doesn't attract dirt. I spray the inside of the chain on the rollers and then spray the wax onto a rag which I used to coat the outer sides of the links. This works very well for my Bobber which isn't out in wet weather very much. Chains are best lubed when warm so I have a small jack which I keep the bike on in the garage. When I get back from a ride I raise the back wheel and apply chain wax. It only takes a few minutes but it keeps the chain clean and I haven't had to adjust it over the last 3k miles.

If you ride a lot in wet weather then you either need to apply very frequently or go for an oil based lube.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
I also use the Chain Wax that Traveller posted a picture of. I actually bought a set of 3 products from the same company (Maxima) off Amazon here. All 3 products do a great job for me from cleaning the chain to keeping any corrosion off my metal parts. I too clean the chain and then apply the Chain Wax after a ride, so the chain is warmed up. I'm not a super aggressive rider and I don't live down a gravel road or anything, so I clean and lube the chain about once every 500 miles or so.

·
Registered
399 Posts
If you like wearing your chain lube or enjoy washing it off the bike, any oil/grease will do. If you prefer clean, then any dry lubricant is best. I prefer dry because it doesn't retain dirt, maintains the chain's o-rings, and is easy to apply. To each their own on this subject.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts