Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have a Bike Brothers Lenke handlebar which is advertised as allowing cables to go inside. However, the gap for the cables is much smaller than any of the plugs will allow, so I imagine I have to fit them by either

1. Cutting the connectors off, feeding the wires through the bars, and then reconnecting the connectors, or
2. Disassembling the handlebar switch clusters, desoldering the wires, feeding them through the bars and then resoldering them.

Both are quite a bit of faff, with high probabilities of messing something up. Am I missing a trick?

- Pasta

·
Registered
94 Posts
You can simply depin the connectors, slip the wiring through, then reinstall the connectors. No cutting and no soldering involved. I did that with my clip-ons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi,

I have a Bike Brothers Lenke handlebar which is advertised as allowing cables to go inside. However, the gap for the cables is much smaller than any of the plugs will allow, so I imagine I have to fit them by either

1. Cutting the connectors off, feeding the wires through the bars, and then reconnecting the connectors, or
2. Disassembling the handlebar switch clusters, desoldering the wires, feeding them through the bars and then resoldering them.

Both are quite a bit of faff, with high probabilities of messing something up. Am I missing a trick?

- Pasta
Or... you could change the complete switchgear while you are at it, need new levers for clutch/brake, in addition to this:

https://www.baakmotocyclettes.com/fr/home/326-commandes-guidon-commodos-triumph-bonneville-t120-t100.html

·
Super Moderator
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You can simply depin the connectors, slip the wiring through, then reinstall the connectors. No cutting and no soldering involved. I did that with my clip-ons.
Hey @John, how simple is it to depin the connectors? The pins seem to be held in pretty tight to me. Is there a tool for the job?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Hey @John, how simple is it to depin the connectors? The pins seem to be held in pretty tight to me. Is there a tool for the job?

There are specific tool sets made for depinning electrical wiring connectors that can be purchased very affordably (maybe even Amazon). The other option is a VERY small (like an optician’s or electrician’s) flathead screwdriver. Reaching into the connector from pin side, there is a molded plastic projection that essentially “springs” itself into a small slot or opening on the pin terminal. By gently pressing it back, one pin at a time, you can remove the wire, pin and all, out the back, or wire side, of the connector housing. Take careful note of what wire comes out of what pin location on each connector! You will eventually be sliding the pin right back into that same spot. No tools needed for re-assembly.

·
Registered
94 Posts
The entire process takes only a minute for each connector to be removed safely. If you have to use any force beyond a simple pinch-and pull between thumb and forefinger, you probably don’t have the tab fully released from the pin! I like to pinch the wire, push INTO the connector housing very lightly (this frees any mechanical tension on the pin/tab interface), move the tab with the tool, THEN slide the wire out. Works like a charm after very little practice. Takes the nerves out of doing electrical modifications!

·
Registered
671 Posts
The entire process takes only a minute for each connector to be removed safely. If you have to use any force beyond a simple pinch-and pull between thumb and forefinger, you probably don’t have the tab fully released from the pin! I like to pinch the wire, push INTO the connector housing very lightly (this frees any mechanical tension on the pin/tab interface), move the tab with the tool, THEN slide the wire out. Works like a charm after very little practice. Takes the nerves out of doing electrical modifications!

Maybe take a pic of each connector first - for those with a memory like mine :|

·
Registered
89 Posts
I’m beginning the same modification today. Great information about the connectors. I’ve built a handful of Deutsch connectors in the paste so I’m hopeful I can handle these.

I’d love to hear more about any tips or tricks you guys learned along the way.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi I am also looking at doing this my only question is when running the cables inside the bars are they still long enough or is the extension kit required?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Hi I am also looking at doing this my only question is when running the cables inside the bars are they still long enough or is the extension kit required?

They should be plenty long enough, if you don’t change to higher bars. There is a good bit of sub-harness length for both the left and right controls.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts