Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to the bobber. Is it normal to have a pretty strong gas smell? Is this something to do with the canister? Its strong enough that I can smell it other side of the garage. Maybe a tube is disconnected somewhere... I was looking around and I did notice that the canister has a short tube coming out and pointing down and on the same side, there is another nipple that looks like its supposed to have a tube attached, but nothing is there - is that normal? Anything else I can check? Tank is about 3/4 full.

I'll have to store the bike in my basement in the winter and I'm a bit worried how strong the smell is!

·
Registered
417 Posts
I’ve never smelled anything like that with my Bobber, which sits I’m my attached garage. I think a tank overfill will run the extra into the canister or on the ground...so that may have happened.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Gas smell.. nope, my wife has a “Bionic Nose” And has not mentioned ANY gas smell from either of our bobbers.. She will defiantly let me know if there is, the garage is accessed from the kitchen.. and she can tell if our neighbor hasn’t changed his cats littler box..:)

·
Registered
171 Posts
Not real familiar with the fuel evap system on these.. if the tank has a overflow, and it leads to the (from what I’m guessing) charcoal canister.. the system (in theory-on cars) pulls the “fumes” back through the intake and they get burned.. but .. that is a “closed” evap system..
But like I said, I’m not familiar with this system or if it even HAS a evap system..
I say, take it for a ride, park it and look for any “leaks”...

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've done a bit more research.. Looks like I overfilled the tank and the canister has a bit of gas saturation. The solution is to just ride it and it will eventually dry out in there via the bikes purging process.

BUT, its 40 deg here and I'm not sure how many days left we have to ride! Would it be ok to pull the inlet hose from the canister and maybe hook a aquarium air pump to it overnight to dry it out?

Also, in my pic above, is there supposed to be anything connected to that nipple?

·
Registered
171 Posts
The aquarium pump is a great idea.. it’s a diaphragm minimal pressure.. slow steady flow of air...
Just remember your purging the fumes, they will be more concentrated in a enclosed space..
Some tubing going to the exit of the tank to outside wouldn’t hurt

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
I've done a bit more research.. Looks like I overfilled the tank and the canister has a bit of gas saturation. The solution is to just ride it and it will eventually dry out in there via the bikes purging process.

BUT, its 40 deg here and I'm not sure how many days left we have to ride! Would it be ok to pull the inlet hose from the canister and maybe hook a aquarium air pump to it overnight to dry it out?

Also, in my pic above, is there supposed to be anything connected to that nipple?
You'll get a few more chances to ride before the white stuff arrives. Forecast is good for the weekend.:surprise:

Chico

·
Registered
1,341 Posts

I mess with aquarium pumps all the time and I would not recommend an aquarium pump. An aquarium pump runs off of electricity. True. An aquarium pump is designed to keep water out but I am not sure how it would work with gasoline. Electricity and gasoline don't mix. I could just be overly cautious. I often am.

The fumes in the canister will eventually evaporate. I took the canister off of a Ducati Paul Smart that I had. It was easy to do. (I left it off.) You could take the canister off of your Bobber and see if any fuel drains out. Then just reinstall it.

Or just park your bike outside and run it for 15 or 20 min.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh, do you think it will be purged that quickly? Im assuming this will take hours to rid the soaked in gas from carbon. Just going off gut feel here, not data.

I'd put the bike outside if I were to do the pump purge, and could actually put the pump inside the garage door (on slow flow) to eliminate any spark hazard concern. Spencer, yah that would greatly speed up the process to dump any in there that remains. It hadn't occurred to me that it could actually be pooling, not just soaked in. (ps- Ducati Paul Smart is on my bucket list!). Pooling would be consistent with the amount of gas I'm smelling, but I have not seen any spots on the floor or anything.

Rob, if its below 60, it might as well be Canada. :)

Thanks for the replies!

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Sub, I don't think you got that much fuel in the canister. It is designed to catch overflow during and slightly after a fill up.

The Paul Smart was great until the tank started to warp. Beautiful bike and a little faster than our Bobber.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
..and a lot more uncomfortable! :) I guess some of the other ducatis had the ethanol tank expansion issues. I almost bought a 848 and recall hearing about the issue.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
..and a lot more uncomfortable! :) I guess some of the other ducatis had the ethanol tank expansion issues. I almost bought a 848 and recall hearing about the issue.
Yep. It was a problem with some of the plastic tank bikes.

I had a 748 which I traded for a 998. No problems with them. There is no way that I could ride any of those bikes today. :|

·
Registered
314 Posts
Anyone try an EVAP delete , I know british legends has one. Not sure any of the benifits besides maybe curing this gas smell problem and a little weight savings.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts