Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Somewhere on the site, I think someone had installed a locking gas cap that doesn't have to be unscrewed when filling up. Can anyone direct me to that post or if you know of another source, please let me know. The OEM gas cap is just a pain and I end up putting it on the ground when getting gas. Thx.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
You're right, it doesn't look like it locks. This "problem" (minor) is almost the only gripe I have about the Bobber. I unlock and unscrew the cap and I have no idea where to put it while gassing up (on ground, on the gas pump, on the seat?). None of which I like. On my Indian Scout, it's a locking gas cap that when unlocked, the top just flips up with the keys still in the lock. I'm almost sure I saw something like this on the site but, I can't seem to find it again. Or, if anyone knows of a cap like this, would appreciate your directing me. Thanks!

p.s. it's not quite the only gripe. The other one is not having self-canceling turn signals which the Scout has as well. Helps me from looking like the old guy/lady who keeps the blinker on in their car for miles after the turn :). I'm getting used to it on the Bobber and probably the majority of motorcycles don't have self-canceling signals but, it's really a nice convenience.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I feel very fortunate that I love the stock cap! I carefully put it between the speedometer and the bar clamp when filling up!
Good suggestion. Of course, with the smallish tank, filling up comes a bit too often for me not to be bothered by the key lock. I'm now looking seriously at a Monza style cap. No key and top just flips open to gas up.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I installed the Monza cap on my bobber. Besides the cap now being attached to the bike, and I love the looks, it has an additional advantage. The fill well is not deep enough that when I am filling the tank and the nozzle is resting on the limit bar, I no longer get a splash on the tank when the filler shuts off. It seems to position everything just perfectly for American gas fillers.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I bought this cap to replace my lockable one and am well pleased. Besides, even if there was a future gas war like the 1970s where people were stealing gas, do you really think they'd bother with such a small tank? :)

Attachments

·
Registered
119 Posts
I have that same brass cap on the way. Not worried about a lockable cap and I think the brass cap will go nicely with the brass colored accents already on the bike.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I installed the Monza cap on my bobber. Besides the cap now being attached to the bike, and I love the looks, it has an additional advantage. The fill well is not deep enough that when I am filling the tank and the nozzle is resting on the limit bar, I no longer get a splash on the tank when the filler shuts off. It seems to position everything just perfectly for American gas fillers.
Have you (or anyone) run into those gas nozzles with the rubber boot (?) over them (not sure what they're called)? I think they're for capturing vapors? When you fill up you need to pull the rubber covering up so the metal nozzle goes deep enough into the tank to start filling. Otherwise, the gas won't flow from the pump. I seem to run into these type gas pumps a lot. Would this be an issue with the Monza cap? Thx.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Lionel

Agree about unlocking the standard fuel cap - can be a bit of a faff purely based on frequent fuel stops. Have fitted Motone Monza cap which I think looks great and appears to be well made. I.ve put it on the right way round- ie the hinge at the front ! - unlike the dummy ones on the Thruxton ! It doesn, t lock but at the end of the day some one can only steal a couple of gallons maximum. I have a T120 but have left the original locking cap on as it looks good and bike has a range of 200 odd miles. Cheers Lionel

·
Registered
116 Posts
You can turn the monza cap on the thruxton 180 degrees easily! It's done in1 min without any tool (if you don't have fingernails to pick the plastic locking ring out out, ask your honey for help :grin2:)!

Werner Wernersen0:)

·
Registered
278 Posts
I did the brass cap. Hated the locking...hassle I have no need for a locking cap and find it funny anyone would steal 2.5 gal of fuel, In all my riding years on various bikes, I have never had fuel stole. Seems to Little volume to bother with, JMO

1 - 18 of 18 Posts