Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just noticed this today, but wonder if anybody else is getting scuffing due to that metal key cover plate on the factory locking gas cap (from the constant rotating back and forth when unlocking/opening). Maybe I need to be more careful when sliding over that plate, or maybe it was designed a little too snug. I might ask to see if this is a defect, or if I can get a replacement under warranty.

Attachments

·
Registered
428 Posts
Just noticed this today, but wonder if anybody else is getting scuffing due to that metal key cover plate on the factory locking gas cap (from the constant rotating back and forth when unlocking/opening). Maybe I need to be more careful when sliding over that plate, or maybe it was designed a little too snug. I might ask to see if this is a defect, or if I can get a replacement under warranty.
No scuffs on mine. 2000 miles. There is a small rubber seal on the underside of the sliding cover but only in the center to seal off the keyhole. Is that seal in place on yours? Jim

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No scuffs on mine. 2000 miles. There is a small rubber seal on the underside of the sliding cover but only in the center to seal off the keyhole. Is that seal in place on yours? Jim
i'll have to check when i get home tonight. thanks for the tip!

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i saw the small rubber piece on the underside of the cover, but it is kind of recessed and doesn't look like it offers any protection against the scuffing when rotating the thin cover. maybe i just need to be more careful when rotating the keyhole cover when taking off the cap. seems like there should be some kind of actual rubber gasket seal or something to protect this from happening. here's another shot of the scuffing around the edges where the hole cover rubs up against the cap. i guess this may be one of those things like the clutch cable chaffing issue that a lot of members have experienced. getting a replacement cap may also be more of a hassle as they would have to get it specially made to fit my exisiting key. if it gets worse i will look into it though. i may start obsessing over this unfortunately.

Attachments

·
Registered
58 Posts
I don’t have that problem but only 5 fill ups. Take it as a good excuse to get an upgraded fuel cap!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
360 Posts
Around 4000km on my bike and no scuffing after ca. 20 fill-ups.
I can only imagine that you maybe got some dirt or fine grit trapped in there that caused it...?

mike

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll have dealership take a look and see if they will hopefully order me a new one. Also while I'm at it, will have them get me a new clutch cable as I also have the chaffing issue as well. I keep my bike super clean so don't see a dirt issue under there. Maybe that I usually flip that cover open while still wearing my gloves, so I do push down on it a bit on the cover which maybe caused the unnecessary contact on the metal areas. May have to start taking off my gloves when taking off the cap and being a little more gentle with it.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Maybe that I usually flip that cover open while still wearing my gloves, so I do push down on it a bit on the cover which maybe caused the unnecessary contact on the metal areas. May have to start taking off my gloves when taking off the cap and being a little more gentle with it.
Well said mate.

:confused: and that's a warranty issue? I think not.

My mechanic at my local dealership told me of a customer who complained about his boot scuffing the right side alternator cover while braking and demanded a new cover on warranty...:laugh:
I need not tell of of the outcome:wink2:

Now please don't get me wrong; I'm on your side mate; but maybe you've answered the question yourself...

Cheers!
mike

Reactions: getor

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Does the lock cover rotate evenly through 360 degrees or is there a wobble causing it to catch? Just a thought.
The cap swivels fine, just probably need to be more careful. I had a similar locking gas cap on my old sportster (attached photo of the part that I had) and I never had any problems. Will let you all know if I am able to get a replacement. If not, then I just have to live with this little "eye-sore".

Attachments

·
Registered
278 Posts
Just a suggestion, I push down and out on the side of the cover opposite side where I am pushing/sliding it. Tends to lift the other side out of the cup it sits in. Maybe for you?

·
Registered
278 Posts
I ordered the brass cap from A&J. I have no problems with the locking cap but I also live in a rural area so gas thieves will not like a small tank and I'm tired of doing the key each time so a bung without a key is my answer and the brass matches the carbs and trim.

·
Registered
848 Posts
I ordered the brass cap from A&J. I have no problems with the locking cap but I also live in a rural area so gas thieves will not like a small tank and I'm tired of doing the key each time so a bung without a key is my answer and the brass matches the carbs and trim.
Good choice, which one did you go for?

I’ve had two, the first was dimpled, which I ended up thinking was a bit fussy, so I now run a plain one. :smile2:

Attachments

·
Registered
278 Posts
Good choice, which one did you go for?

I’ve had two, the first was dimpled, which I ended up thinking was a bit fussy, so I now run a plain one. :smile2:
Just got yesterday. Fitted this morning and it's perfection. Weighs almost as much as the fuel tank! Beautiful piece of workmanship. Very Happy. :surprise:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts