Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all can someone please tell what size is the quick release connector is on the end of the fuel pipe on the bobber please

·
Registered
317 Posts
I'm a total newb when it comes to working on a bike, so what is going on that's causing you guys to need to deal with your fuel lines?
In my case I wanted run a usb power feed from the accessory plug up to the handlebars and keep it tidy. I needed to get the tank off to do that. The fuel line is quite short so you need to remove the QD fuel connector. When I did that I broke the crappy plastic fitting. They are probably easier to source in the US, but here all I could find were Chinesium plastic junk like the one that comes with the bike. I managed to find a shop on Ebay that does proper metal fittings, so I bought one of these.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Same thing happened to me when I tried to remove the tank I must or squeezed the plastic to hard and when it came off the inside fell to bits

·
Registered
317 Posts
Trevor with these QD fittings the male part has a raised rim section so the pipe looks similar to this. The female part (the one you broke) has an internal O ring which seals the connection. The female socket has a plastic clip which latches over the male pipe to prevent it being pushed off. What I did was buy one of these to go onto the pipe and one of these to connect the hose to the female fitting. The company (Torques) are really quick. You can get Chinese rip offs for a lot less, but you definitely get what you pay for here in terms of quality.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Yep 5/16" is the tube diameter. You can get plastic ones on Ebay from China but delivery is slow! I got mine from the Torques site on Ebay as its 2 day delivery and top quality stuff.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Bob parts are ordered when you took the factory connector off does it empty the fuel from the tank ?
No Trevor. You will however get some petrol dribble out it, so you will need some rags to soak that up and obviously take some caution re. naked flames etc. The bike has a fuel pump as it has fuel injection and needs fairly high pressure. As far as I recall the fuel doesn't leak past the pump. Having said that it was quite a quick job as I only propped the tank up rather than remove it completely. I have had the tank off a few times since and aside from a small petrol spillage once thats gone it hasn't leaked any more.

When you switch the ignition on after swapping the parts, it might make a high pitched scream as it builds up pressure again. However there is no need to drain the tank to change the fittings. I did see on this forum a thread where a few people (including myself) were moaning about how difficult it is to get the oem connector off. It did in my case take a fair bit of force to get it off the pipe even with the plastic bits pressed in.

·
Registered
689 Posts
This thread has gotten me thinking. I’m currently riding with a Speedmaster tank installed but still have the original Bobber tank. I was going to just keep it for if I ever sell the bike (revert to stock). However it’s just sitting there so maybe I should do some custom tank work and make the bike have a swappable tank. The larger more practical daily Speedmaster tank and a smaller stylish Bobber tank?

·
Registered
317 Posts
The connector needs to go down further Trevor. What you can do is remove the plastic insert and push that down first onto the pipe. It needs to go over that collar to lock the fitting in place. You might want to add a few drops of petrol into the fitting to lubricate the O ring. Looking at the first picture as far as I can tell its not pushed all the way home. The white plastic part is a latch that locks the fitting to the collar.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts