Triump Bobber Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve done this on other bikes in the past, I have an Oxford tank bag, medium I think, that I have had a 5 litre fuel can in. I’ve tried the bag on the bobber tank and it seems to fit so perhaps that’s an option to extend the range when touring?
I’ll ty it soon as I intend to keep a can in the garage anyway to cut down on petrol station visits.
Of course it may have already been thought of.......

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
The tank bag holds a 5 liter fuel can?...and it's a medium?! That sounds HUGE. Now I'm curious. Is the fuel "can" really a can, or a soft bag of some sort? Any chance you can post some pics?

·
Registered
313 Posts
Jeez... that’s massive..:surprise:

I’m sorry but I don’t see the advantage... you have to stop and fill up from a can, why not just stop at a petrol station...

We’re in the UK, not the Australian outback:grin2:

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
It's certainly functional, but to me it seems like it kills the whole look of the bike. There are a couple of different options for smaller fuel cans out there (swingarm bags with a fuel can holder on them, or a dedicated fuel can holder than can mount to the rear fender bracket or swingarm) and larger panniers that could hold one or more fuel cans, without piling up on the small tank. Ultimately it comes down to what you prefer though. If you're cool with having a large tank bag in front of you while you ride, then go for it. I think most of us tend to lean toward keeping the front of the bike unobstructed, so we end up loading things on racks or in bags on the back of our bikes. There's no right or wrong.

·
Super Moderator
3,351 Posts
I feel there is no elegant way of lugging around an extra 5L of fuel - least of all on a Bobber. It’s kind of like carrying another tank on top of the original one. ;)
Saying that, I’d opt for that setup over being stranded for running out of fuel.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Because sometimes the petrol station isn’t near enough......maybe not such a great idea?
I’ll get my coat....
Each to their own, but I just don’t see the need in the England or Wales... the Scottish highlands may need some extra thought though:|

Personally if I needed extra range on a regular basis, I’d just bite the bullet and fit a Speedmaster tank

·
Registered
589 Posts
I'm sorry but I just don't get why people are so paranoid about running out of fuel on the Bobber???

When the reserve light comes on (unless you've been absolutely nailing it) you'll have at least 40miles to find a petrol station. Now in North Africa that could be a problem but in Western Europe?

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
As an example;

I fitted a Speedmaster tank for a number of reasons, a little extra fuel being just one of them.

The closed I came to running out of petrol was last year. I was ridding hard (over 80mph) and non stop. Fuel light came on (forget at what milage but it was lower than normal due to riding hard) and another 25 miles I finally hit the next gas station.

When I did fill her up it was the most fuel I have ever got into her tank :surprise:

Guess I was running on fumes for that last mile or two.

It did teach me that riding hard really burns a lot more fuel than one expects, so in future if gas stations are in short supply I will for sure be riding a little more steady.

Although on the upside (and not relevant to this thread) I was able to cover over 500 miles that day 'and' survived, so nice to know what's possible, all be in NOT recommended.!

Cheerio,

Roy

·
Registered
577 Posts
having filled up with 8.95L in the past i do take a little more notice of the miles to empty, in me defence i did pass 2 petrol stations but was sure I'd get to the quiet one near home....

Having lived in Roy Bridge for a good few years, the west coast can be a nightmare even for a bike with a decent tank, one staff member off sick or an owner on holiday and that's it for another 30 or 40 miles, the AA/RAC/Green Flag all cost more than a local cab company to bring you a gallon out!

Being caught out once was bad, the second was awful (4 inches of snow on me and the bike by the time the fuel arrived!)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts