Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My bobber has developed a front wheel squeak. Sounds like it is coming from the bearings. Not really a squeak but almost a rubbing sound. The sound is still heard when braking so not the brake pad. Anybody have any ideas? Should I lube the bearings? If so, what should be used?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I doubt that bearing ever squeak. Are you sure that brake discs wont make noise ? (just pull a little brake when squeaking, does it go away ?)

·
Super Moderator
849 Posts
That sounds like a slight disk warp and maybe a piece of dirt stuck in a pad?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Thats normal sound. Brake pads touch disc and that is designed so, this keeps discs dry when raining. You hear it only in very slow speed or when moving by your bone power.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I developed a squeak or chirp at about 300 miles and you hear it everytime the wheel spins. It goes away when the front brake is applied. My dealer told me it was dust and would eventually go away. I’m not buying it. 600 miles it’s still there and they’ve tried to fix it twice. They tried to reset the pads and that didn’t work. I’m thinking a bearing or rotor but why can’t the dealer figure this out? Shouldn’t be rocket science.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Thats normal sound. Brake pads touch disc and that is designed so, this keeps discs dry when raining. You hear it only in very slow speed or when moving by your bone power.
Sorry but its not a normal sound and that's not how disc brakes work. The pad comes away from the disc slightly when the hydraulic pressure is removed because the seals pull the pistons back. If they didn't the friction material would heat the disc up and probably lock the wheel up. You can experience this for yourself if you fail to drain the fluid every two years and allow corrosion to build up behind the seals.

OP you can eliminate the pads or warped disc as the source of the noise by taking the pads out. You need a 12mm wrench, a 6mm allen key and a blade screwdriver to get the front pads out. However if you search here there was a report of a squeak which I believe was solved by adding some teflon spray to the bearing seal. Although I seem to recall that was at the back wheel.

·
Registered
119 Posts
So I took my bike to a different Triumph dealer to get a second opinion on my front wheel and I am very glad I did. Where to start! So after three failed attempts to recognize an easy problem (was told brake dust, it will go away in its own, etc. etc.), I had a bent rotor. The part is being ordered through my warranty. Secondly, when I had my 500 mile service last week I had the V&H pipes installed and the Fox shock. Turns out this service department pointed out how one of my pipes was about to fall off, it was leaking and there was hardware missing!!! Whoever installed had no clue what they were doing. Amazing. Needless to say I am going to re do the 500 mile service, I am not convinced it was ever done in the first place. The exaust will be fixed, and I was even talked into doing an X pipe. I will never bring my bike to be serviced again where I bought it. I am not going to throw them under the bus here as they probably should be but just beware of the service you sometimes receive, especially if you are new to bikes like I am. The backfiring wasn’t that normal after all!

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
So I took my bike to a different Triumph dealer to get a second opinion on my front wheel and I am very glad I did. Where to start! So after three failed attempts to recognize an easy problem (was told brake dust, it will go away in its own, etc. etc.), I had a bent rotor. The part is being ordered through my warranty. Secondly, when I had my 500 mile service last week I had the V&H pipes installed and the Fox shock. Turns out this service department pointed out how one of my pipes was about to fall off, it was leaking and there was hardware missing!!! Whoever installed had no clue what they were doing. Amazing. Needless to say I am going to re do the 500 mile service, I am not convinced it was ever done in the first place. The exaust will be fixed, and I was even talked into doing an X pipe. I will never bring my bike to be serviced again where I bought it. I am not going to throw them under the bus here as they probably should be but just beware of the service you sometimes receive, especially if you are new to bikes like I am. The backfiring wasn’t that normal after all!
Naming the incompetent dealer isn't a crime. It will help others from making a mistake and buy from that merchant. It seems like the dealer needs to clean up their act or get out of business. This is what forums are for, to make others aware. We are too concerned about hurting someones business, what we need to do is help each other, the consumer.

Chico

·
Super Moderator
3,352 Posts
Naming the incompetent dealer isn't a crime. It will help others from making a mistake and buy from that merchant. It seems like the dealer needs to clean up their act or get out of business. This is what forums are for, to make others aware. We are too concerned about hurting someones business, what we need to do is help each other, the consumer.

Chico
Agree 100%
You are not naming them based on selfish or spiteful/vengeful reasons; but to show them their errors and to maybe push them into cleaning up their act. And of course to warn others to be ok the lookout if they use that dealer.
Shoddy workmanship is one thing, but it can also be downright dangerous for the rider & that needs to be prevented.

·
Registered
119 Posts
No call back from the service manager yesterday after I spoke to him. Not a surprise. I had asked for my labor for the B&H exhaust install returned. He hesitated and said he would talk to the GM. Guy actually had the balls to ask me to bring it back and he’d put it on right himself. Same guy who couldn’t diagnose a bent rotor. The dealer was Gold Coast in Nassau County. My sales guy was great. The service there miserable. Quite the opposite at Triumph of Westchester County. If you live in the New York City I feel those guys there are top notch. Gold Coast lost a customer for good.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have the same problem start this morning, quite loud and doesn't go when braking, Its on one full revolution of the front wheel. yesterday I had front springs and rear shock upgraded and cat removed and didn't squeak on the ride home

1 - 14 of 14 Posts