Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a question for the techs among us...

Do any of you happen to know which SAE grade of front fork oil our bobbers come standard from the factory with?

I've been contemplating the upgrade to the Matris F15K fork kit because of it's adjustability etc.
However, I must say that I'm pretty happy with the factory set-up and I'm also convinced that these bikes are roughly set-up for riders of somewhere around 70-90kg body weight; round about; at average every day riding conditions.
I'm in that category; 75kg body weight, riding conditions everything from commuting to touring to afternoon blasts to the German North Sea coast or Harz mountains etc.

The reason for my question is; I think the rebound damping in the front forks could be a bit lighter because on some rough surfaces/bad roads, the forks compress, but don't rebound quick enough IMO; causing the front-end to hop around quite a lot.

So if the standard oil is an SAE-10, I'll try an SAE-7 or 5 before going the full monty and buy the Matris. After all, it's a cost thing of course and I'm pretty sure I can get where I want to go by trying a different oil thickness.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Cheers!
mike

·
Registered
608 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks mate, I'll look into them too

Cheers!
mike

·
Registered
11 Posts
Matris also makes an adjustable fork spring kit with is their version of an emulator, springs, spacers and pre-load adjustable fork caps.

Just Google: "matris adjustable fork spring kit." You'll have to scroll past all the "mattress" paid-to-be-at-the-top links. :)

/M

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Matris also makes an adjustable fork spring kit with is their version of an emulator, springs, spacers and pre-load adjustable fork caps.

Just Google: "matris adjustable fork spring kit." You'll have to scroll past all the "mattress" paid-to-be-at-the-top links. :)

/M
You mean to get to the link to your web-site...? Nice try mate.
If you read my original post again, you will see that I know about the Matris stuff F15K etc. I was asking a completely different question.

Your impudent advertising attempts here have been reported. :wink2:

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just noticed Öhlins has a kit FKS 219 https://www.ohlins.com/product-item/62774/
Yes, aren't they lovely...:grin2:

Strange to see actually, that Öhlins have a fork kit but no rear shock yet; and Wilbers have 2 rear shock models but only fork springs; all for the Bobber. Who knows what the future will bring. Of course Matris have had complete upgrades for both front and rear for some time now, so we're pretty spoiled for choice.

It's great to see such high-end companies developing serious upgrades for our bikes.

mike

·
Registered
370 Posts
The only thing I don’t get is it says it doesn’t come with the springs sooooo what do I do there haha. I would assume they would recommend a set

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,352 Posts
The only thing I don’t get is it says it doesn’t come with the springs sooooo what do I do there haha. I would assume they would recommend a set

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes, depending on your weight and riding preference i believe.

·
Vendor
522 Posts
The FKS setup from Ohlins is very nice. We have installed a few sets on older triumph models. With parts and the special fork oil required, the price is about $800 in the US.

·
Vendor
522 Posts
The FKS setup from Ohlins is very nice. We have installed a few sets on older triumph models. With parts and the special fork oil required, the price is about $800 in the US.
Can you comment on the spring required?
Ohlins provides recommended springs per rider weight in the install guide:

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts