Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got home early from work, with the full intentions of cleaning the chain, washing and waxing Scoot.

Action complete. See 1 pick of teaching my boy how to (IMO) dry a bike...

Waxed up, ready to roll, took the bike out. I noticed the clock was flat. Adjustment lever must have been hit while washing. So, pulled over to adjust, dropped the kick stand...odd pavement so it didn't fully seat before I hopped off.

Dropped bike ensued....

Tried to catch it before it hit the ground, hyper extended my right thumb and the weight drove me to the ground so smashed my left knee.

Damage - bent bar, dented tank (son of a b&@tch!!) and bent/scratched mirror arm.

I would think the damage could have been much worse, but dammit, the TANK!!!!! Oh, and can't use my thumb, but dammit, the Tank!

I did continue to ride it for ~10 miles after. Odd with the bent bar. However slight it is, def noticeable when riding.

Sad day.....

Attachments

·
Registered
277 Posts
I hurt for you. That's a bummer.

You did supply a neat trick I will be doing. Using a leaf blower to dry it off. Great idea!

I am wondering though, how did the tank dent get so high on the tank? Did the bar bend into the tank or am I looking at it wrong.

·
Super Moderator
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I hurt for you. That's a bummer.

You did supply a neat trick I will be doing. Using a leaf blower to dry it off. Great idea!

I am wondering though, how did the tank dent get so high on the tank? Did the bar bend into the tank or am I looking at it wrong.
The bar bent and the clutch/grip assembly that is metal hit the tank.

If I had the high bars or the 1 inch riser I had planned to do, perhaps it would not have hit the tank.

It was also humiliating while I was picking up the bike when an old lady in a car passing by said "Are you okay...". haha. Nice lady, but I said "Nothing to see hear, move along!!!"

Back pack or normal blower: gets all the water out of all the nooks and crannies.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Dentmasters should be able to get the dent out of the tank as the paint looks intact? If just a bent bar then lucky escape!

I'm wondering whether to fit the engine bars as a precaution but they spoil the lines and I'm not sure even they would save the exhausts/bars

·
Super Moderator
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dentmasters should be able to get the dent out of the tank as the paint looks intact? If just a bent bar then lucky escape!

I'm wondering whether to fit the engine bars as a precaution but they spoil the lines and I'm not sure even they would save the exhausts/bars
From the drop I experienced, no other damage other than a bent bar, dented tank, and scratched/bent left mirror arm. Overall, I think I am somewhat lucky. It's the tank that kills me.

The paint does indeed appear to be in tact. Look at the shine and frost silver reflective-ness! haha.

I agree that the engine bars spoil the lines of the bike.

And isn't it like 1am in the UK? You are dedicated to the forum!

·
Registered
459 Posts
:crying::crying::crying:

and your insurance :nerd:repairs can be supported

·
Super Moderator
3,352 Posts
So sorry to hear about that.
It’s both painful & frustrating when something like that happens.
As PFEN said, can your insurance cover the cost of replacement parts ? The bars will need to replaced for sure, and the tank may (or may not be) able to be repaired.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Hey buddy, don't worry to much:

1.) The bar doesn't look bent to me! You should be able to correct the bar's angle by loosening and re-tightening the risers which are rubber-cushioned. In worst case the riser's central bolt has to be slightly unbent!

2.) As long as the paint isn't cracked and the dent in the tank doesn't have sharp edges, it should be possible to get the dent out and make it unvisible without repainting! Talk to a company which does hail damage repair on cars! Our family van looked like a golf ball with 100 dents like yours. After repair (sucking out the dents with special equipment) I couldn't find one dent anymore, even at a very close look with magnifying glass in the sun!

3.) Take the scratches on the mirror arm as a wellcome patina!

I assisted my friend buying a new leather suit 20 years ago. When we left the shop, he took out a rope of his tank bag, tied himself to the carrier, and asked me to drag him down the road on his back. He then looked at the scratched leather, and asked me, if the scatched leather would look authentic enough, or if we should add some more patina....:grin2:

Werner Wernersen0:)

·
Registered
199 Posts
Don't feel like you're alone in fall over dept. did the same thing about a month ago, i was trying to turn around on a steep grade and got way off balanced didn't drop the bike fortunately but let it down gently still dinged the exhaust pipe i'm just glad that was it and its far enough under that you can't see it. Just knowing it's there still drives me nuts tho

·
Registered
310 Posts
That's heartbreaking, but as others have noted the paint on the tank looks good. I have seen dents like that removed using for example an inner tube pushed into the tank and inflated. I think you will be ok getting that fixed. Insurance is an option, but it depends on how they hit you for no claims.

·
Super Moderator
1,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Black bar ordered this morning. Prob going to be a couple weeks before it comes in.

Now I need to research the "how to" on moving all the controls/grips from one bar to the other.....and find the torque settings.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Hard to see from the picks if there are any sharp edges on the dent. Think of it as a chance to get the bars and risers you want! I have seen the dent Wizard people do amazing things. Be careful with insurance as mentioned above!

·
Registered
602 Posts
Damage - bent bar, dented tank (son of a b&@tch!!) and bent/scratched mirror arm.
Same thing happened to me at 600 miles, parked up, took a step away and heard the stand slide but all i could do was watch.

Same tank ding, mirror bent a little more (actually much better view than before!) bars fine tho. no point insurance claiming, premium would jump more over the next 5 years with a claim on my record then fixing a wee ding in the tank!

·
Registered
55 Posts
So sorry to hear this.
Tank looks like a good body guy could pop out.
Bars can be straighten too.
I kinda like the bull horn bars if you have seen them. Very classic look.
I use the leaf blower myself great idea.
Your injury will feel better when it stops hurting.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts