Triumph Bobber Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took my bike down for a insurance adjustment and was told they may have to total it out instead of doing a touch up to the paint job. Anyone have experiance with a bike being totaled for a frame scratch thats not deep or dented?

Hate to lose my equity on the bike , thoughts...

·
Registered
668 Posts
I had a bike written off due to a wrinkle in the paint on the frame following a 10mph drop :(, the adjustor simply told me that any possibility the frame has damage and it's more than his job is worth to pass it, at my own expense i can get it x-rayd or whatever but as far as they were concerned it's a cat D writeoff.

·
Registered
202 Posts
are you saying they want to write the bike off because of what you describe as a superficial scratch??
How was the damage caused?

·
Registered
439 Posts
The circumstances are not uncommon within the insurance industry. Don't know what the legal implications are in the USA. There are two classifications of write-offs here in Oz, Statutory and Economic.

Statutory: When the vehicle is assessed as unrepairable due to extensive structural or collision damage. The vehicle VIN and ID information are registered on a national DMV (RMS here) database. Deemed non-repairable, cannot be rebirthed, good for breaker parts only.......

Economic: Which is the case with your assessment I'm supposing. Vehicle is classified as a Write-off - Repairable. You could make an offer to the insurer to buy back your Bobber before the astute insider traders gazump you ( probably on the same payroll) and it ends up at auction for a tidy little profit. The only drawback to this is that it still comes up on the national database as a write-off irrespective, so it makes your bike virtually worthless if you wish to trade on another bike AND trying to sell privately will be hindered by the same classification. To put the bike back on the road involves a re-certification, with an engineering safety and compliance examination required at your expense AND only if you were the registered owner of that vehicle 28 days prior to the insurer declaring/notifying the RMS of the write-off classification.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Happened after the tow truck equipment hit me in the leg , tried to put my feet down but almost dropped the bike because of the leg injury , fork got a little dent .

·
Super Moderator
973 Posts
Happened after the tow truck equipment hit me in the leg , tried to put my feet down but almost dropped the bike because of the leg injury , fork got a little dent . View attachment 49566
That isn't a scratch, part of the material of the fork has gone...

·
Registered
2018 Speedmaster
203 Posts
My Dad had an old Camaro that got rear ended but still drove fine. The adjuster totaled it but my Dad made a deal to turn in the registration and keep the car to pull parts off of. He got the insurance money then spent half of it fixing the car and got a salvage title for it. He drove it for another 4 years then sold it. The salvage title will hurt the resale value but it is still legal.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Fork tube cover needs replaced for sure thats a really deep gouge, luckily it didn't hit the fork tube or damage it, it's only a $350 dollar part. I'm worried about whats to be decided on my frame scratch, I'll be hearing back in 48hrs or so I guess the post will be updated...

·
Banned
1,209 Posts
thats not a scratch thats compromised the frames integrity. Would you buy the bike if you saw that? I wouldn't

·
Registered
248 Posts
My first bike (fireblade brand new) was a write off after a car reversed into it whilst it was parked up. When the bike went down handle bar hit the frame, tiny dent, you wouldn't have noticed if it was pointed out. Anyways, insurance said the they couldn't confirm extent of damage, therefore, write off. I was gutted, but got another brand new blade out of it do wasn't too bad once it got sorted.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
They tried that with me I fought hand over foot to get the claim through, they knew I already had a lawyer but had to get a corporate/management approval at progressive for the frame. Took nearly an extra month and 4 phone calls. I told them I had 10000 in the bike and the damages weren't that high, if it wasn't approved I'd fight it , approved that day.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts