Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The Fox shock makes a world of difference. Instead of riding up tense, when you see some unavoidable bumps, you can relax, it smooths it all over. Best mod I did to my bike so far.

Thanks for info I did a search but not much came up. Can I ask what you paid for shock. I suspect I am going to tell dealer to just fit it prior to delivery just want a ball park figure.TIA

·
Super Moderator
3,352 Posts
The price is on the Triumph website.
Whether your dealer charges you for the install is up to them, as some dealers waive the cost.

It’s a very good mod, so unless you plan on going for a Matris or adjustable Wilber shock then it’s definitely with installing the Fox pre-delivery.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
STMBOBBER, I don't know where you are located but in North Carolina (USA) I saved money by buying the shock with the bike. The tax was lower.

Another suggestion - If you are buying a new bike you might just get your dealership to do the service work free. It is worth a try.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Heavy rider on a fox shock

Im 280 lbs and installed the fox shock after about 600 miles .I have the settings 1 click out and it feels a bit smoother than the stock shock ,no complaints .

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
STMBOBBER, I don't know where you are located but in North Carolina (USA) I saved money by buying the shock with the bike. The tax was lower.

Another suggestion - If you are buying a new bike you might just get your dealership to do the service work free. It is worth a try.
I'm in Scotland and have asked dealer to supply attached to new bike.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've ordered the Fox shock with my new BB as well, I can not actually believe on a bike this price that Triumph think to offer the bike with a non adjustable rear shock, it's just pathological penny pinching and leaves a sour taste in my mouth.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I've ordered the Fox shock with my new BB as well, I can not actually believe on a bike this price that Triumph think to offer the bike with a non adjustable rear shock, it's just pathological penny pinching and leaves a sour taste in my mouth.
I've bought 19 bikes over the years. Except for a Ducati or two, most of those bikes (BMW, Ducati, Triumph, Honda, Kawasaki) came with less than ideal shocks. (Some were adjustable but only marginally.) At least Triumph didn't make the Bobber as a real hard tail. We would really be moaning about that.

Don't misunderstand me. I'm not defending the stock shock. It sucks. The Fox is much, much better. I'm just saying that Triumph has to make some calls when it comes to building a motorcycle.

At least Triumph gave us a decent exhaust. I'm not going to bother to change mine and I have changed exhausts on most bikes that I have owned. :grin2:

·
Super Moderator
3,352 Posts
I agree with you.
Usually I have Ohlins on speed dial once I order a new bike >:)

The SpeedTr came with great OEM suspension, as did the Tiger 1200.
But almost every other bike I have owned came with sub-par suspension and was changed almost immediately (especially for 2-up riding!)
The GL1800 being amongst the worst I’ve ever come across.

·
Registered
509 Posts
I hate my Fox shock and will likely pull it soon and try another brand. 2 months old , and 750.00 spent. But I'm a big boy , and likely wouldn't have bought it had I known it wasn't spring preload adjustable. Live and learn. Pictures I referenced showed it spring adjustable , for those that are scratching their heads (I referenced the old A&J cycles picture , which has now been updated to show one that is non adjustable , no bones to pic with them , just saying...). I'm tall and heavy , and bottom out the shock on every ride regularly. Hurts my lower back and it comes to a metal on metal stop when it does. I'll be looking into one that has spring preload to better suit my needs.

I imagine it's great for the average 200 lb rider. This post is for us bigger boys.

·
Super Moderator
3,352 Posts
Sorry to hear that Big Bear.
I’m sure you’ll shift it pretty quickly and be able to recoup some money to spend on an adjustable shock.
Any thoughts of what you’ll go for ?
How are you finding the Corbin ? Mine just gets better with the miles !

·
Registered
509 Posts
Sorry to hear that Big Bear.
I’m sure you’ll shift it pretty quickly and be able to recoup some money to spend on an adjustable shock.
Any thoughts of what you’ll go for ?
How are you finding the Corbin ? Mine just gets better with the miles !
The Corbin is good and broke in. :grin2: I have about 1,500 miles on it , and with the forwards now , I'm very pleased. As for the shock , I'm looking at Wilburs , but I'll do a little more investigating when I get home from a road trip I'm fixing to head out on.

I have 2 things on my radar to address for my wants/needs : a better shock (the Black forks are fantastic as is) and a little more range. A speedmaster tank will eventually be on mine , in time. This is a great platform though , and I really enjoy it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I had a Fox Rear Shock installed on my Bobber last weekend...it seems to be a bit of an improvement over the Stock Shock...bike is a bit less squirrely....the front shocks...not too keen on.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi all .......I would appreciate if a kind person provide details for removing & replacing ( not reference to the " manual " ) the rear shock.... as I understand that you do not have to remove the airbox.

Thanks all in anticipation.....

·
Premium Member
1,567 Posts
Hi all .......I would appreciate if a kind person provide details for removing & replacing ( not reference to the " manual " ) the rear shock.... as I understand that you do not have to remove the airbox.

Here's a pretty lengthy description posted by Bikerdib awhile back:

I decided 12 hours was too long to wait to install the shock. Since I knew this was going to be an easy swap with the bike lift and front wheel chock I have, I decided to tackle it this evening instead of waiting until Saturday. I drug out the lift, bolted the front chock to the floor and rolled the bike in. I used 2 tiedowns to secure the bike in the front chock and rolled the lift under the bike. I removed the 2 side covers (where it says "Bobber") then the 2 small plastic covers that hide the airbox to throttle body hoses. This was all I needed to remove to access the 2 bolts that mount the shock. No one was around to take a measurement of the stock sag with me on the bike so I just measured the sag of the bike without rider.

After covering the rear fender with a towel for protection, I loosened the 2 bolts. I then raised the lift slowly while trying to push the rear bolt out until I felt it slide loose letting me know all weight was off the shock. I then proceeded to completely remove the rear bolt. Next I undid the front bolt and as is usually my luck, I managed to drop the washer. I heard it ting, ting as it bounced through different inaccessable areas of the bike. AAAARRRRGGGG.

I went to my tool chest and got a small flashlight. I spent the next 5 minutes searching through the bike trying to find the run away washer. I really think some of these small parts have a special magnetic charge so that when dropped they will immediately find their way into the internal, most remote and inaccessable voids of a machine. I have a collection of washers so it's not that I couldn't just replace the washer, I was just concerned that the original may be in a place where it could cause some damage or issue.

After 5 minutes, I decided to step back and take a breath to try and lower my blood pressure. That's when I noticed the washer lying on the floor about 5 feet away where it had rolled and was just lying there. I really think some inanimate objects can laugh at me when they play tricks like this.

OK, back to the task at hand. I measured the length of the stock shock then the length of the Wilbers. Hmm, the Wilbers is about 1/2 inch longer, that isn't significant but strange that it is longer. I fitted the Wilbers into the front bracket and inserted the bolt but not the nut. I placed the rear end of the shock and slowly raised the bike lift until the holes ligned up and inserted the bolt and nut. I used a large blade screwdriver to snug the adjustment sleeve in the frame at the front end and then pushed the bolt all the way through and while using a FIRM grip on the washer (you know, that trickster that wasted my time earlier) I CAREFULLY placed the washer on the bolt. I picked up the nut and went to put it on the bolt. Guess what happened. Nope, I didn't drop it, it went on without a hitch. I used a torque wrench and tightened the 2 bolts/nuts.

OK, that was easy (well, except for the little trickster with a hole in the middle). I removed the bike lift, bounced the rear a couple of times and then measured the sag. About 3/8 inch less than stock. I actually like that it has less because that gives me some room for adjustment. I'm not sure how the stock and Wilbers spring rate compare but I'm not trying to make a race bike so I should be able to adjust a little if needed.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts

I swapped the rear shock for Matris unit. Didn't need to remove air box. I also replaced the front cartridges for Matris system. The transformation is quite remarkable. When approaching an imperfection on the road I used to anticipate some punishment but I'm surprised when it doesn't happen. Handling on turns is also improved, I feel more confident and find myself leaning into the turn more at a higher speed. Well worth the investment.

Chico

1 - 20 of 21 Posts