Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Forward controls look cool and are necessary for a proper Cruiser! But that's not why I bought them! I installed them a few nites ago and today I did my first proper test, 4 hours and 163 miles. They are great for let's say mature knees and hips. They are way more comfortable then mid controls on longer rides. Everything works as advertised.

They have crazy long 1" feelers, I took them off and put on the stock feelers from the original pegs giving me significantly more cornering clearance then stock!

They are about a 3 or 4 hour, 4 beer installation for the shade tree mechanic! You will need a set of metric allen wrenches, a set of torx wrenches and metric box wrenches and circlip pliers.

Attachments

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
The ones I bought ( in the pic ) are from Triumph Accessories. Free Spirits also makes a kit and I'm sure others do or will soon. The Triumph ones are the stock production parts off the 2018 Speedmaster and as such they bolted right on perfectly unlike many aftermarket "bolt on kits" I have tried in the past.

Registered
@BOBBYP , can you give me the p/n you ordered? I have had a set on order for about 4 weeks , and I'm being told on B/O till Late July. Or have you been patiently waiting and they just came in? Perhaps my guy isn't ordering the right thing.......

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
@BOBBYP , can you give me the p/n you ordered? I have had a set on order for about 4 weeks , and I'm being told on B/O till Late July. Or have you been patiently waiting and they just came in? Perhaps my guy isn't ordering the right thing.......
Yes they are backordered
You actually need to order 3 part numbers, the mounting kit, the actual forward controls kit, and an exhaust shield which comes in 3 finishes. I had parts coming from NH, PA, and Florida so I only waited 5 days
I drove my dealer nuts, then a shift rod went missing!!!!

Registered
Yes they are backordered
You actually need to order 3 part numbers, the mounting kit, the actual forward controls kit, and an exhaust shield which comes in 3 finishes. I had parts coming from NH, PA, and Florida so I only waited 5 days
I like you a little less now...... >:)

Registered
Yes , It is very nice. I need to contact my dealer , they ordered the mount kit and the forward kit (I have seen the 2 separate p/n on their screen) , but spoke nothing of needing heat shields. Oh , well , it's only money , right?

Registered
Yes , It is very nice. I need to contact my dealer , they ordered the mount kit and the forward kit (I have seen the 2 separate p/n on their screen) , but spoke nothing of needing heat shields. Oh , well , it's only money , right?
So I ordered a set of forward controls from my local Triumph dealer back in April. The mounting kit was in stock but the forward kit has been on order ever since with no end in sight. I check weekly (in person) and they can't even give me an ETA from Triumph corporate at this point (they indicate Triumph just states "out of stock").

For those that have these new controls mounted, is the heat shield(s) truly necessary?

Registered
I definitely don鈥檛 have any heat shield thing unless they separated that into another part number after i ordered. And so far no issues. Anyone got a pic of these heat shields? Mine was just the fwd controls and mounting bracket. Maybe the heat shields are dependent on your vin number like my mounting kit was.

2017 Triumph Bobber NYC

Registered
Discussion Starter #13
The exhaust shield is the small piece on the left side which has a cutout for the foot peg which will no longer be there leaving a gap! The new one comes in brushed SS, Chrome, or Black depending on which bike you have. It is by far the cheapest of all the parts! >:)

Registered
Discussion Starter #14
I definitely don鈥檛 have any heat shield thing unless they separated that into another part number after i ordered. And so far no issues. Anyone got a pic of these heat shields? Mine was just the fwd controls and mounting bracket. Maybe the heat shields are dependent on your vin number like my mounting kit was.

2017 Triumph Bobber NYC
Bearju and Hellcat. Bearju, in this pic of your bike I can see you don't have the new exhaust shield as you have the cutout for the missing peg,still there ( see the arrow). The new part goes straight across where the cutout was in the old shield ! It is definitely a subjective thing not really necessary. This is easy for me to say as I have the part, but since I am OC about my bikes, I would need it!>:)

Attachments

Registered
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Yes they are backordered
So after I was 99% done with the installation I realized the new 13" shift rod was missing from my kit! Shame on me for not counting all the parts before starting, but there was like a hundred of them and this was a rush job!

So.... I called my parts girl at the dealer and screamed.... I mean politely explained the situation to her that my bike was now a paperweight!!!

After a few moments of thought I realized that if I cut the original shifter rod in half and welded a 9 7/8" long by 1/4"
304SS rod extension in between I would be back in business!

An hour later I was test riding the bike...perfect!!!

10:30 the next morning my Sweetheart at the dealership calls to tell me that she had a new shifter rod flown in from Louisville Kentucky overnite, which was absolutely amazing because it was early evening when I informed her of the situation! I did not tell her that I made one, just thanked her profusely.

I am still running the Frankenstein rod since Bobbers are supposed to be Cobbed together aren't they??? >:)

Registered
Ah ok I see what you鈥檙e saying. I鈥檓 planning on wrapping the headers up to the cans though so you won鈥檛 see that, whenever I get a chance to actually do that haha.

2017 Triumph Bobber NYC

Registered
Discussion Starter #17
Ah ok I see what you鈥檙e saying. I鈥檓 planning on wrapping the headers up to the cans though so you won鈥檛 see that, whenever I get a chance to actually do that haha.

2017 Triumph Bobber NYC
You will probably have to add a short piece of pipe to wrap that area.

Registered
So I ordered a set of forward controls from my local Triumph dealer back in April. The mounting kit was in stock but the forward kit has been on order ever since with no end in sight. I check weekly (in person) and they can't even give me an ETA from Triumph corporate at this point (they indicate Triumph just states "out of stock").

For those that have these new controls mounted, is the heat shield(s) truly necessary?
UPDATE:

So after waiting for almost 3 months my dealer called me to let me know the forward controls "parts are in". I immediately made the installation service appointment which was booked for this morning. I dropped the bike off as soon as they opened and was told they would contact me when it was ready. I started getting texts from them about 2 hours later that indicated I was "missing" parts for the installation. Turns out the girl who originally ordered the parts never asked for or checked my VIN, so the kit(s) ordered were missing the lower right-hand subframe that my bike required. The girl who ordered never checked my VIN, the service manager never checked the parts delivered for install, and the tech who had already torn down my bike for install didn't realize it until he tried to install the new parts. Once I was aware of the status I suggested they pull any necessary parts off of a new Speedmaster but they ended up stripping what was needed off of a new Bobber Black. Eight (8) hours later I had my bike back with a long story from the service manager about everything they had to do from a labor and stock exchange standpoint to get the forward controls properly installed. The good news is that the riding position is now exactly what I was hoping for...super comfortable.

I know this may have been mentioned elsewhere but I wanted to make sure that anyone who orders parts for the Bobber provides their VIN so they can avoid this kind of mess. **** its possible I would have had my parts earlier had the girl ordered the correct kits.

Registered
UPDATE:

So after waiting for almost 3 months my dealer called me to let me know the forward controls "parts are in". I immediately made the installation service appointment which was booked for this morning. I dropped the bike off as soon as they opened and was told they would contact me when it was ready. I started getting texts from them about 2 hours later that indicated I was "missing" parts for the installation. Turns out the girl who originally ordered the parts never asked for or checked my VIN, so the kit(s) ordered were missing the lower right-hand subframe that my bike required. The girl who ordered never checked my VIN, the service manager never checked the parts delivered for install, and the tech who had already torn down my bike for install didn't realize it until he tried to install the new parts. Once I was aware of the status I suggested they pull any necessary parts off of a new Speedmaster but they ended up stripping what was needed off of a new Bobber Black. Eight (8) hours later I had my bike back with a long story from the service manager about everything they had to do from a labor and stock exchange standpoint to get the forward controls properly installed. The good news is that the riding position is now exactly what I was hoping for...super comfortable.

I know this may have been mentioned elsewhere but I wanted to make sure that anyone who orders parts for the Bobber provides their VIN so they can avoid this kind of mess. **** its possible I would have had my parts earlier had the girl ordered the correct kits.
After 2 months mine arrived. With no shift rod. There was however , a perfect hole in the box with tape over it that was about the size of a #2 pencil. Guessing the Fed Ex person that found said rod probably tossed it. So , Now I'm waiting for that to arrive. Getting there..........

Premium Member
Thanks for that update.

What a mess! But pleased it has finally worked out and you got the nice riding position you were looking for.

I ordered the floorboard board kit with my new Bobber and this includes the forward mounting kit. Along with other parts I have been waiting for. I heard yesterday it will be another week or so. So I'm hoping all will go well with mine - fingers crossed.

Cheerio,

Roy

1 - 20 of 68 Posts