Triumph Bobber Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are several choices for inline devices that will effectuate flashing brake lights.
I have installed one on a Triumph Thunderbird years back and it works great.

I wanted to use this small one (pictured) that fits inside the lens cover and behind the tail lamp.
But I'm unsure if the brake light can be disassembled and reluctant to muscle it apart.
There are no obvious screws to remove and no, I haven't called my dealer.
Its for sale on Amazon by XDP.

Any thoughts on this?

Attachments

·
Registered
187 Posts
Wish I could help but I still haven't gotten my hands on a bobber yet. I assume the cover should be removeable in case they ever need to change the bulb, but I have no idea how you'll go about doing it. How did you get the cover off the Triumph Thunderbird?

·
Registered
286 Posts
Definitely, once there's a bulb in there, there has to be some way to open it up and get to it for replacement reasons. I'd hope there was instructions as to how to wire that inline device?

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
For my 2010 Thunderbird 1600 the brake flasher module was installed (not by me) under the side panel.

I called the Triumph service tech to ask and they said the bike is too new and they don't know.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Minor update - brake flasher

It seems that the led brake lamp is considered a permanently sealed lifetime part (think sealed battery) and is not meant to
have just the bulb replaced but rather the entire(?) light assembly.

I still want the flashing brake module so I may bring one to my dealer tech and see if they will do it - w/o voiding my warranty or course.

Attachments

·
Registered
79 Posts
Well that's not a very good design, especially if the bulb burns out for some reason and you're forced to buy a new light unit. Costs more than it's worth at that point and you may as well go aftermarket. Let us know what you're dealer says. Maybe it just needs a specific tool or something.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Fail... I forgot that it's full LED.

If an LED burns out, there's no way they'll sell individual leds to replace them. It just makes more sense to replace the whole unit.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Triumph Motorcycles <-- Here's a link on where to find the owner's handbook and go page 104 to the section about lamp replacement:

Brake/Tail Light -
Bulb Replacement
The brake/tail light unit is a sealed,
maintenance-free LED unit.
Without seeing the wiring diagram in front of me, it'll be difficult to determine if the brake/tail lamp is a solid state circuit or relay driven; for this reason, I don't recommend wiring the in-line flasher or entire tailllight altogether.

·
Registered
79 Posts
On the bright side, they don't generally burn out that fast so you have a few good years before replacement is needed. :D Best not to mess around with the wiring if you're not confident, namely me.

·
Registered
167 Posts
A few years at worst, at best it could be longer with the average riding time someone spends yearly and combined with how often they actually use the light. I think even the sort of weather conditions you're in can impact its lifespan

·
Registered
434 Posts
Maybe there are flashing brake lamps out there that will mount onto the bobber's rear fender?
Here’s a unit I have on my BMW. I’m considering this for the Bobber too. The BMW only has an incandescent bulb, so the additional lights are needed. The Bobber has a nice bright LED tail light so maybe the other units would be in order. Still considering?? ?
Hyperlites.com

·
Premium Member
1,740 Posts
Definitely interested in seeing how each the install is and how well it works. Super low price!

·
Registered
434 Posts
Update. I ordered this thanks to Mar-Vel. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M33BRAX/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Installed today, splicing the unit red wires into the green/violet brake light wire about 6 inches back from the connector inside the battery box, right above the battery. I soldered and heat shrinked the wires. I grounded one black wire to the small bolt in the upper right back of the battery box (as looking into the box) as directed and taped the other black wire and the soldered connections together with the loom where I had opened it. I don’t love it....but I like it a lot and I do love the price!! I can’t seem to load a video from my iPad? It flashes really fast about 5 times, then much slower 4 times, staying on at the 4th flash. It repeats each time time you apply the brakes. If I can figure out how to load my video, I will in the future.

·
Registered
370 Posts
**** It sorry guys I forgot all about this topic/thread ...Yeah that flasher module works great , Its an inline unit so all you have to do Is splice the red wire from the unit Into the brake light wire , like Forjox said green/violet you only need to ground one of the black wires on the module . really easy by the way make sure you have the module facing the right way ,

1 - 20 of 26 Posts